Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Teacher appreciation

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 1:30 pm
We want to show appreciation to our kids teachers. Dh and I don’t agree if cash is tacky. I think it’s more bakivodik to give a gift/ food gift before yt. Dh thinks everyone appreciates cash more. I think it isn’t nice to give cash because it seems like I’m saying “you’re in chinuch so I’m giving you tzedaka”. What do you imas think?

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 1:45 pm
My boss gives me cash/Visa card every YT. I work in an office at a health care job.
A gift is not tzedaka!

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 1:47 pm
Cash or visa gift card. That’s what I give and what I most enjoy.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 1:53 pm
I'm with your DH.....

My DH teaches boys privately. We've had times where people gave us cash/gift card. I don't consider it tzedaka and it's not at all insulting. It's appreciated!

The only time we feel bad is.....DH does do a certain percentage of teaching for tzedaka (there have been boys whom he tutored for free) and there have been occasions where I wished I could give the cash/gift card back as tzedaka to the giver! I've felt so bad when it's from someone whom I feel needs it more than us.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 1:58 pm
I have given my sons rebbeim cash and didnt feel weird at all. I think its the most appreciated.

My son had a morah one year who was single and I would often see her at restaurants with friends so I gave her a nice size gift card to a local coffee place. This time of year I live on caffeine haha and if someone wants subsidize my habits I would love it.

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:03 pm
If cash or a Visa gift card is too tacky for you, give something that's almost equivalent, like an Amazon gift card, or a Target gift card. That's basically like cash because you can get so many different types of things.

But please don't give gifts. Your morah does not need a candy dish, clock, mug, or picture frame. I assure you.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
We want to show appreciation to our kids teachers. Dh and I don’t agree if cash is tacky. I think it’s more bakivodik to give a gift/ food gift before yt. Dh thinks everyone appreciates cash more. I think it isn’t nice to give cash because it seems like I’m saying “you’re in chinuch so I’m giving you tzedaka”. What do you imas think?

Teachers don't really get bonuses. What parents give them is their bonus.

Bonuses are cash.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:16 pm
Is it still appreciated if it’s not so much? Like $20-25?
Or does it have to be $50/$100

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:19 pm
Preschool morah here… always appreciate the sweet little gifts… but also always appreciate the cash!!

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

Of course it's appreciated!

Personally, when I cannot afford to give a large amount (which is pretty much all the time) I make sure to write a nice, detailed, personal card so it's clear that I put thought into it even though I cannot afford much

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

Anything is appreciated. Give it with a nice card. (I bought a beautiful card set with elegant script and a nice sticker to seal the envelope…) write a meaningful note

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have given my sons rebbeim cash and didnt feel weird at all. I think its the most appreciated.

My son had a morah one year who was single and I would often see her at restaurants with friends so I gave her a nice size gift card to a local coffee place. This time of year I live on caffeine haha and if someone wants subsidize my habits I would love it.

Maybe the reason you often saw her was because she was using up gift cards given to her by parents 😂

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:52 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Maybe the reason you often saw her was because she was using up gift cards given to her by parents 😂

Well that doesn't sound like a problem though.

I wouldn't mind gift cards to cafes (DH can take me along LOL. Or I could "help" him out with them.....).

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:52 pm
As a teacher I appreciate cash more. Their are only so many best teacher mugs or mismatching photo frames I can use.
Not that I don’t appreciate the thought regardless but the money definitely comes in handy.
Don’t forget I have over 100 students (teach high school) and get so many repeats of the same chatchkes depending on whats on sale.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:55 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Well that doesn't sound like a problem though.

I wouldn't mind gift cards to cafes (DH can take me along LOL. Or I could "help" him out with them.....).

It’s not a problem! It’s cute. And yummy.
But before yt I think cash is more useful. (And they won’t have to add any $ which is what I usually have to do with a gift card to any store or restaurant)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries