Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Breaking fast is such a letdown
1  2  Next

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 10:44 pm
It's not a particularly enjoyable eating experience as eating goes. You shovel in the food and then you just kind of feel okay. Maybe uncomfortable if you overate.

The next day, eating is fun again.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:13 pm
We had a lovely meal. My parents were late so the scrambled eggs got cold, but I served Arctic char fish, smoked salmon, seared tuna, Greek salad with feta and nuts for dessert. It was nice to eat really hot food with my parents since usually it’s Shabbat when we see them. I have to be up for five for a clinical day tomorrow so I made lunch too😁

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:16 pm
We eat very little right after the fast. Then an hour or two later, a bit more. I don’t get how people eat these huge spreads right after a fast. I feel sick just looking at it. It’s like two days worth of food in one hour.

kiti

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:19 pm
Break the fast with something light. I had some water and light snacks, waited until later on to eat a bit more heavier. Feels much better after not eating/drinking for so long

mizle10

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:20 pm
I'm with you, I enjoy my coffee the morning after much more than whatever I break my fast on.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:24 pm
What are you expecting, exactly? I don't expect anything exciting. I serve a simple milchik meal and we're happy to have it. I don't see what there is to be let down about.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:26 pm
We barely eat after a fast. I get very nauseous. I had a little piece of cake and water right after, and a couple of hours later, challah and a bowl of soup.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:30 pm
I don’t think I really ate a huge amount of good. It as just a normal meal with variety so everyone would enjoy,

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:42 pm
We break on water, coffee and cake and eat an hour or two later.
The plan was to have rolls, omelettes and salad but I had a fair bit of fleishig food leftover from before the fast that would not get eaten otherwise because we have a family simcha today.
My kids rolled their eyes when I said that we were eating the fleishigs, but once it was heated up, they polished it all off. We had soup, chicken and farfel.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:49 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
We eat very little right after the fast. Then an hour or two later, a bit more. I don’t get how people eat these huge spreads right after a fast. I feel sick just looking at it. It’s like two days worth of food in one hour.

I don’t get that either. I’d be so sick. I break my fast on electrolytes and then slowly eat a bit at a time.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:24 am
We eat a regular seuda like 2 hours after the fast.
I thought everyone does.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:01 am
We had a really good vegetable soup, and then my husband had bread and salatim while I bathed my daughter and he did bedtime. We had some protein/carbs after, and then watermelon a little later on.
I found eating the soup to be a nice way to break the fast, because (since it's hot) you kind of have to slow down and savor it.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:10 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
It's not a particularly enjoyable eating experience as eating goes. You shovel in the food and then you just kind of feel okay. Maybe uncomfortable if you overate.

We have a light dairy meal and replenish our liquids. Something simple.

Nobody "shovels down" food (that does sound gross).

The idea is to regain some energy, not to stuff oneself.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:21 am
I ate 3 bagels with cream cheese. And a piece of cake and two cups of OJ. I did enjoy them all!

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:04 am
Broke the fast on cinnamon buns coffee and water. I enjoyed that.
Two hours later we had salmon, grilled brocolli and buckwheat.
I was pretty sick and didn't really eat much of the meal.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:14 am
It’s the next day and I still feel sick 🤢 I’m too nauseous to eat.
Had a coffee and now I want to throw up.

But to be fair I was sick with a cold type all week but the nausea started when I broke my fast.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:18 am
so sorry! sounds like you are sick and if hasn't happened before especially then seems like part of whatever virus you may be dealing with.
Feel better!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:20 am
BrisketBoss wrote:

Nobody here shovels in any food. We break the fast on tea and cheese cake. Then a bit after that we have bagels and tuna. But even that, we eat slowly. I always finish after everyone else as I eat very slowly. And its very enjoyable. I think if I ate fast, I would throw up.

No need to shovel anything in. If you dont enjoy your meal, change things so that it is more enjoyable for you.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:26 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
We eat a regular seuda like 2 hours after the fast.
I thought everyone does.

What’s a ‘regular seudah’?

Also in Judaism there is no ‘everyone does’

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:10 am
Dh is used to having cake and coffee. Then we have vegetable soup and a simple milchig meal. I get sick after breaking my fast so I don’t touch the cake. I had a cracker and a small bowl of vegetable soup, mainly the liquid part and ate very slowly. It takes me a day or two to get over fasting but trial and error taught me which foods make me most sick. I won’t eat any protein until late the day after and I stay away from anything sweet or fatty for at least a day or two. Eating salmon, tuna, cheesecake, or feta cheese would make me too sick to be posting here the next morning. I have a friend who serves lentil soup and said I have to try that. I did and it wasn’t a good experience.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur