Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Trader Joes
Previous  1  2

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:52 am
amother Oak wrote:
I go to trader Joe's for their spice blends. Nowhere else has amazing blends like them. The BBQ spice, green goddess, umami, onion salt, citrusy garlic, coffee bbq rub..... And so many more

Is the coffee BBQ rub like a sweet and salty BBQ potato chip, or more savory?
What do you use green goddess seasoning for?

OldSoul

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:21 am
I buy the following:
Spices (esp umami, cheesy spicy blend (oud), chile lime, 21 seasoning blend (no salt - good sub for Mrs. Dash), ranch (also oud)l. All are great

Snacks: TJ bamba is much cheaper than Osem , great snacks from plantains, chips , pretzels lots of varieties and gluten free too

Cereal: You can save a lot of money on their versions of cheerios, etc.

Produce: Not always cheaper than regular stores - depends where you live. I like their organic produce - great prices compared to other stores (esp on apples).

Organic veg broth in boxes (under ChafK) - I love them as a base in soups. Way cheaper than imagine and other brands.

Grains: Great prices on their flaxseed, chia seeds. Also polenta in a tube (nice on Shabbos - can bake it and serve topped w/ sauteed veggies/onions or tomato sauce)

Dips: They sell an eggplant & red pepper dip in jars that you can use on Shabbos.

Dairy: Good prices on nut and oat milk and yogurts

Breads/pastries: Babka is good and lots of options here

Ice Cream/Cheese cake: Great options both dairy and Pareve

Flowers/Plants/Fresh Herbs: Beautiful selection & great price

Home: Great price on dryer balls (so don't have to use dryer sheets)

It's a fun place to shop and staff is very helpful and courteous.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 11:35 am
seeker wrote:
My local one the produce is not really better than other places. But if I'm doing my main shopping there then I'll get produce too.

Prices - some things better, some things average, a few more. It also depends where you are - in my old neighborhood, the local groceries and supermarkets were overpriced. If you live near a Shop Rite, then Trader Joe's is not much of an improvement. My main reason for shopping there is I like their products.

Whole wheat bread is well priced for the quality, and they have ones without ingredients I try to avoid. Pita is good price and also good ingredients but it's not fluffy like Jewish pita is. Excellent for pizza, good enough for sandwiches, absolutely not for falafel.

Milk and yogurt if you eat OU-D (or was it Star K?) were better prices especially for organic.

Natural peanut butter.

They have great snacks and mostly great prices - kettle popcorn is addictive, kosher version of takis the kids are obsessed with, really good potato chips, don't remember what else. I like their salsa better than the other supermarket brands. Dark chocolate peanut butter cups - Reese's tastes like garbage after this.

Also for non-CY, they have a high protein pancake/waffle mix that I like because the kids feel like they're getting a treat but it's not empty carbs, and super easy to make (just add water)

Random things - frozen string beans, my family really likes their seltzer, plain nuts are well priced...their black and white cookies are the same source as the Jewish ones but half the price.

Do not buy their version of Oreos. Bleagh.

Oh and the FLOWERS - if you like flowers for shabbos/yom tov/occasions, they are MUCH better priced than other places around me and the quality and selection are not inferior either. I no longer live right near a Trader Joe's and every time DH brings flowers from a local place I want to scream when I see the price tag.

We just tried it and it was so good!
I only saw the vanilla ones, do they also have chocolate?

Are the dark chocolate pb cups pareve?

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 12:07 pm
In addition to what others already posted, we like their dips -- eggplant pepper, and roasted pepper.

The crackers are great, too, as are the rice cakes.

periwinkle

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:16 pm
Also frozen garlic cubes.

ChalieB

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:37 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
We just tried it and it was so good!
I only saw the vanilla ones, do they also have chocolate?

Are the dark chocolate pb cups pareve?

The PB cups are dairy

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:04 am
their sourdough bread is pas yisroel and is way cheaper than in jewish stores.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:40 am
The sunflower chocolate cups are the best on the planet and are pareve. (Was there yesterday, and my DD was trying to sneak additional packets of them into our cart. And she told the rest of us that we don't like the chili lime chips, as she wants them all for herself.)

I love the various spice rubs, though you can find similar ones that are also great in Aldis and in Shoprite (bowl and basket brand). I like to drizzle my chicken with oil, and then sprinkle with whatever spice rub I'm in the mood of (chili lime, umami, etc.....Aldi's has a great Kentucky spice one that I like to use on wings, it's a little hot).

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:59 am
I love love love their spice blends.
I need more ajika spice! If anyone sees it back in stores let me know Smile

And their pareve chocolate chips and chunks really are much better than the frum companies.

Pumpkin spice espresso beans are heaven, they taste like a chai latte.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:04 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I love love love their spice blends.
I need more ajika spice! If anyone sees it back in stores let me know Smile

And their pareve chocolate chips and chunks really are much better than the frum companies.

Pumpkin spice espresso beans are heaven, they taste like a chai latte.

I love the chili lime seasoning. It's so good on salmon.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:06 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
I love the chili lime seasoning. It's so good on salmon.

I've never tried it on salmon. Do you just sprinkle it on, or is there anything else you smear on with it?

(Bowl and Basket also has a chili lime seasoning that is very good. It's not the same as TJ though. They are both good.)

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:06 am
Chayalle wrote:
I've never tried it on salmon. Do you just sprinkle it on, or is there anything else you smear on with it?

(Bowl and Basket also has a chili lime seasoning that is very good. It's not the same as TJ though. They are both good.)

I also add lime juice and honey, and I apply the seasoning generously. A good thick layer.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:09 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
I also add lime juice and honey, and I apply the seasoning generously. A good thick layer.

Gonna try! TY!

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:15 am
Pretzel squares stuffed with almond butter. They are pareve!

Costco has a similar product with peanut butter, but theirs is dairy which is not ideal.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics