Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please help me find my community
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:46 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
The Kew Gardens/Richmond Hill area may be a good idea for you

Would you please tell me more. And houses are not even more expensive than in Brooklyn?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:47 am
Frumfemme wrote:
Come and visit us in Houston. We have a number of different shuls (Young Israel, Chabad, Torch, Meyerland Minyan, Sefard, MO). The downside is the summer weather - but the community is tight, even across different traditions and people pull together here. Houses average $300K-$400K for about 2000 sq. ft. The arboretum is beautiful, and the ocean is about 45 mins south, and the state park about 45 mins North. If you'd like to visit, PM me and we'll talk and set you up in a community that you think would best fit.

Thanks so much for the invitation but sounds too far for us, and we need to stay in NY right now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:48 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Long Beach. On the LIRR, close to the Five Towns for amenities, but socially a world away. Small, OOT feel. Houses don't typically have a lot of land, but you've got the Atlantic Ocean right nearby.

I know nothing about Long Beach! Can you please tell me more?

denaNY

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, but I think we need to stay in NY for the reasons I had mentioned.

work license is a issue but for working in the city it is very close to NYC so close to Dr too

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:50 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
New City, or Montebello NY.

We are looking there but the property taxes are crazy high.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:04 am
amother OP wrote:
I know nothing about Long Beach! Can you please tell me more?

I don't live there - I have relatives who did and we used to go often. I was impressed by the sense of town feeling, and by the way people of all income levels lived side by side.

The housing market has tiny houses to mansions, so there's something for everyone.

The downside is that it's a little further from Manhattan than the Five Towns.

It's about 20 minutes to the Five Towns, where there's a full array of services. Locally, there is a bakery, small kosher market and a bagel shop. Also some ice cream and Dunkin donuts, not chalav yisrael.

I think the Young Israel and the Bach (2 of the shuls) offer shabbat hospitality. It might be worth going to check it out.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
An update: Looks like we need to stay in NY (for several reasons: My work license is in NY, our doctors are in the City etc).
We looked at Monsey area -- Pomona etc and were quite underwhelmed. While we loved the nature aspect of things, for the price of a 3-level brick home in Brooklyn, you get a Ranch with a small basement. So true, it comes with a nice deck and yard but the house itself feels more like an apartment. Decent Colonials houses were over a million with astronomical taxes. Any thoughts or other ideas of where we should look next? Really need to get out of Brooklyn. The streets don't feel safe any more, I can't stand my shared driveway situation and lack of a private bathroom. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Not trying to change your mind, but I got a new license in my new state so I could move. And I found new doctors after having the same ones for years. Both things are standard for moving to a new state. If you start your license application now, it should be active when you find a new house in whatever area you’re looking in.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:34 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
New City, or Montebello NY.

Montebello taxes are insane. Multiple 9000 x 5

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:41 am
OP, good luck in finding your community.
However, before you move, take a good look at each of your children.
If you have a child that will be shaken up by taking her out of her environment (one who has difficulty with social nuances etc.) it might be wiser to stay put.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:45 am
amother OP wrote:
We are looking there but the property taxes are crazy high.

Suffern NY?

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:55 am
It's not clear from your post if you have children still at home or not. There is an over 55 community coming up in new Hempstead in Monsey area that may be a good fit or parts of pomona or Montebello.
Monsey area has gotten very pricey.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:06 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
It's not clear from your post if you have children still at home or not. There is an over 55 community coming up in new Hempstead in Monsey area that may be a good fit or parts of pomona or Montebello.

I may have mentioned earlier -- our kids are older, and nearly done with school, so the impact on them will not be as drastic. Our original plan was to wait until they are married, and then make a move but I don't think I can wait much longer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:08 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
Suffern NY?

Yes, good call. We are looking there. What's the community there like though? Is it mainly Chasidish? We are good with all yidden, but it would be nice to have some people who are similar to us (sincerely frum but not yeshivish)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:10 am
amother Winterberry wrote:

Thanks, we considered that, but DH does not want to live in such proximity to neighbors, Brooklyn style. Houses in theses communities are typically close to each other and it is not very private. Plus, we are not 55 yet.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Would you please tell me more. And houses are not even more expensive than in Brooklyn?

It's a warm, close-knit "out of town" community in Queens. The community is not as large as KGH, but still a nice size. There will be a lot of people in your age range. Most of the frum shopping is about 10 min away in KGH. KG has a great commute to the city either via LIRR or subway.

Housing prices I'm not up to date on, but my impression is that they are similar to Brooklyn but you get much more bang for your buck. E.g. a 5 BR house with a yard vs. a 3 BR attached townhouse with some concrete. Prices in Richmond Hill used to be cheaper than in KG, but that may have changed over time. The relevant zip codes are 11415 and 11418 if you want to look it up on Zillow. The Jewish KG community is bordered by Hillside Ave so don't go past that block when comparing housing prices.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:28 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Manhattan. Very different.

You'd love the city. Central park is our backyard. Intelligent frum ppl.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:30 am
It's a warm, close-knit "out of town" community in Queens. The community is not as large as KGH, but still a nice size. There will be a lot of people in your age range. Most of the frum shopping is about 10 min away in KGH. KG has a great commute to the city either via LIRR or subway.

Housing prices I'm not up to date on, but my impression is that they are similar to Brooklyn but you get much more bang for your buck. E.g. a 5 BR house with a yard vs. a 3 BR attached townhouse with some concrete. Prices in Richmond Hill used to be cheaper than in KG, but that may have changed over time. The relevant zip codes are 11415 and 11418 if you want to look it up on Zillow. The Jewish KG community is bordered by Hillside Ave so don't go past that block when comparing housing prices.

This is really helpful information. I will research it more. Thank you very much!

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:34 am

And for nature in the area, Forest Park is close by - https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/Q015/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:00 am
amother Lilac wrote:
You'd love the city. Central park is our backyard. Intelligent frum ppl.

Please tell me more.

Are you referring to the Upper west side? What can I get in that area for 800-900K?

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:11 am
amother OP wrote:
I may have mentioned earlier -- our kids are older, and nearly done with school, so the impact on them will not be as drastic. Our original plan was to wait until they are married, and then make a move but I don't think I can wait much longer.

Isn't that the hardest age to uproot kids? It's easier to move either when the kids are little or married. High school age kids will have a very hard time with new friends, neighbor's, schools etc.
I wouldn't move then unless absolutely necessary.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating