Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Teacher gifts for chanukah

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:33 pm
I know it's little early for this, but need some ideas what to give my toddlers morahs for chanukah, not looking to spend a ton yet wanna get something nice and that she'd really appreciate for an amazing morah!

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:41 pm
Here goes the comments to give cash and not a gift because the teachers like that better.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:41 pm
Money. But is cash or check nicer? That's the question lol.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:42 pm
teachers appreciate cash better

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:43 pm
I also like gift cards to the local salad bar or bakery.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:44 pm
I give visa gift cards. A little classier than cash

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:44 pm
I think they enjoy cash most from talking honestly with 2 of my friends that are teachers

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:53 pm
Teacher here. I appreciate any gesture, because I genuinely think it's the thought that counts. I like cash, check, a note, a doughnut, chocolate....

Personally if it's a small amount of money, it just goes into my wallet and I use it that day for my next purchase. Which is nice and appreciated. Sometimes a small gift is even more enjoyed for longer.

I got a box of thank you cards. The top one said, "cause one thank you just wasn't enough". I thought it was cute and I loved having a new box of cards to use whenever I needed it. probably cost 5-10 dollars and it's nicer than giving that amount in cash.

A small pocket siddur. A nice umbrella. I once got nice pair of gloves. (not super expensive, not leather. but a very nice fur trimmed that I used for shabbos.)

And honestly I really still am a sucker for a genuine card. And I hate the thought of parents stressing over it and giving money they can't afford. Really.

And no, I will not like your kid more if you give more. I will not treat your kid less if you don't give.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:06 pm
amother Clear wrote:
Teacher here. I appreciate any gesture, because I genuinely think it's the thought that counts. I like cash, check, a note, a doughnut, chocolate....

Personally if it's a small amount of money, it just goes into my wallet and I use it that day for my next purchase. Which is nice and appreciated. Sometimes a small gift is even more enjoyed for longer.

I got a box of thank you cards. The top one said, "cause one thank you just wasn't enough". I thought it was cute and I loved having a new box of cards to use whenever I needed it. probably cost 5-10 dollars and it's nicer than giving that amount in cash.

A small pocket siddur. A nice umbrella. I once got nice pair of gloves. (not super expensive, not leather. but a very nice fur trimmed that I used for shabbos.)

And honestly I really still am a sucker for a genuine card. And I hate the thought of parents stressing over it and giving money they can't afford. Really.

And no, I will not like your kid more if you give more. I will not treat your kid less if you don't give.

Wow you sound like an incredible mentchlech morah! I'm sure your genuininty spills over to your students and those around you.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:20 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Wow you sound like an incredible mentchlech morah! I'm sure your genuininty spills over to your students and those around you.

Thanks but most morahs I work with are the same. It's the few who make the most noise that intimidate people.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:35 pm
Thank you all so much! Yes I was thinking either cash with nice note, or gift and nice note..100 percent it's the thought but I wld like to give her something with the card! Someone told me the gift registry..is that something teachers wld appreciate ? And also how much is a decent nice amount? And do I need to give assistant (married women but I don't talk to her much I'm sire she does alot though) do I need to give her same amount , is it rude if I don't?

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all so much! Yes I was thinking either cash with nice note, or gift and nice note..100 percent it's the thought but I wld like to give her something with the card! Someone told me the gift registry..is that something teachers wld appreciate ?

I heard it makes them very limited as stores have to give them about 10% so they restrict them... like no sale items... don't know if true but research before you just jump into it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:39 pm
Ok will do some reserch on it thanx

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:47 pm
Just to clarify. It's expected to give a gift on Chanukah, Purim, and also end of the year?

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:49 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Just to clarify. It's expected to give a gift on Chanukah, Purim, and also end of the year?

do what you feel is right don't like that term expected or have to everyone can do what they feel is right

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:51 pm
So for purim I'd just give mishloach monos, no gift or cash. And end of yr nice card maybe and something small? Idk guess we'll see till then. Also guess depends on teacher , if they put in so much effort and work and showed the kids so much warmth then yes , but purim just mm.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:53 pm

Absolutely not.
Nothing is expected.
If you feel like you want to express your appreciation to your child's teacher then chanuka, purim, and end of year are good opportunities for that. Not all 3... and nothing is an expectation. I've had kids doing for all 3, and some do none and some do some.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:09 pm

Hakaras hatov knows no bounds! I try to give my kids morahs something every Rosh chodesh and yom tov. Not always a cash gift but an iced coffee and pastry, etc.. your morahs are taking care of YOUR child every day. IMHO There's noone I would want to show more appreciation to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics