Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is this even normal? Makeup artist prices
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:50 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
The same person did both?

Yes

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:31 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Travel meaning coming down to the hall? Another town?

Another town.

For example to Lakewood or to Monsey.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Dd wants to book makeup artist and they gave her a price of $700-1000.
Why does it cost so much more than a reg MUA? Am I missing something?

700-1000 is the price for 1 face of makeup?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:01 am
amother Marigold wrote:
700-1000 is the price for 1 face of makeup?

So I ended up finding someone cheaper for makeup. Hair is $500 plus after chuppa help with wig, plus time, which will end up $900 at least. This is the world we live in
Crazy how my daughter is gorgeous without makeup and if anything only needs a drop to enhance. But she has to have what everyone else has..

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:02 am
amother OP wrote:
So I ended up finding someone cheaper for makeup. Hair is $500 plus after chuppa help with wig, plus time, which will end up $900 at least. This is the world we live in
Crazy how my daughter is gorgeous without makeup and if anything only needs a drop to enhance. But she has to have what everyone else has..

Is this price for 1 person's hair to get done? That's all I'm asking.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:07 am
amother OP wrote:

Insane where do you live

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:10 am
amother Marigold wrote:
Is this price for 1 person's hair to get done? That's all I'm asking.

Yes. She said she will include a little 3 year old sister free. Yay.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:38 am
amother OP wrote:

That's a bit of a you problem not the hairstylist's problem.
There are definitely many people out there that are cheaper. Too late now because you already booked. But your daughter could've hired someone not as popular and done a bridal trial to ensure she will be happy with the results.
Also, I see that families today want VIP service at non VIP prices. They want the the artist to come down to their place of choice at their time preference.
Many artists offer in studio service at a fraction of the cost. (I'm in the industry so I know what's out there.)
When I was a kallah 2 decades ago my regular stylist, that always gave me my haircuts, did my hair for the wedding. I went to her house and she charged me $35 (Brooklyn)!
Families are spoiled today. They want the convenience of everyone coming to them but then complain about the cost.

Also to put it a bit into perspective, given all the other outrageously priced things people pay the day of the wedding (photography, flowers, music etc..) $500 for hair is not that crazy.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:45 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
There are definitely many people out there that are cheaper. Too late now because you already booked. But your daughter could've hired someone not as popular and done a bridal trial to ensure she will be happy with the results.
Also, I see that families today want VIP service at non VIP prices. They want the the artist to come down to their place of choice at their time preference.
Many artists offer in studio service at a fraction of the cost. (I'm in the industry so I know what's out there.)
When I was a kallah 2 decades ago my regular stylist, that always gave me my haircuts, did my hair for the wedding. I went to her house and she charged me $35 (Brooklyn)!
Families are spoiled today. They want the convenience of everyone coming to them but then complain about the cost.

Also to put it a bit into perspective, given all the other outrageously priced things people pay the day of the wedding (photography, flowers, music etc..) $500 for hair is not that crazy.

Your defending it cause you are in the line in Brooklyn average hair price for a cousins wedding is $100 so to get better the charge more cause they can why is there no cap on prices photographers went up a fortune singers that have the name charge $5000 a night even the cheap ones ain’t cheap no more. You’re talking about convenience yes when you have a few faces and a few heads to do running the day of the wedding back and forth is extremely difficult so I can understand a convenience fee for that. But sorry it’s absurd

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:48 am

First of all, I dont think its fair to deprive my daughter from what everyone is doing. But how can stylists charge that much only bc its a kallah?

Also maybe I will cancel after the chuppa, putting on the sheitel. If its prestyled, why cant she do it herself?

And when I got married, also 2 decades, ago I paid $50 for my face. Of course things went up, but this is waaay overboard.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
First of all, I dont think its fair to deprive my daughter from what everyone is doing. I dont think its fair that stylists charge that much only bc its a kallah.

Also maybe I will cancel after the chuppa, putting on the sheitel. If its prestyled, why cant she do it herself?

And when I got married, also 2 decades ago I paid $50 for my face. Of course things went up, but this is waaay overboard.

I agree with you on how insane it is.but putting on the wig with crown and veil after chuppah is extremely hard, I would not cut there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:54 am
amother Milk wrote:
I agree with you on how insane it is.but putting on the wig with crown and veil after chuppah is extremely hard, I would not cut there.

I think we will manage it. My sister in law is a stylist herself and can help us out.

m-u-a-mama

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:03 am

All of this
I'm a makeup artist

I charge WAAAAAY less then this.
And yes I have experience, I travel to the hall/house, I offer a pre-wedding trial, I come back after the chuppa... its up to you if you want to use the "top names". I do t blame you. I did too. But I didn't kvetch about how expensive it was.

I recently had a kallah try to bargain me down. I wanted to hang up on her. I charge $90 to do a kallah. In Lakewood! I'm probably the cheapest mua there is! I'm barely covering my babysitter and gas by the time I'm done!

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:10 am
amother OP wrote:

I think we will manage it. My sister in law is a stylist herself and can help us out.

If your sil is a stylist and you can get her commitment beforehand to put it on for your daughter (your daughter can't put it on herself) then you're fine. Time is usually extremely tight after chuppah and you only get a few pressured minutes to get her wig on and secured properly.

Otherwise I think you're setting yourself up for disaster. Spend a little less on your dress or flowers or even on getting her hair done before chuppa and pay for someone experienced to put on her wig after chuppa. Nothing's worse than a kallah's wig slipping back or coming completely off in middle of dancing. I've seen it happen. Kallahs friends dance and hug very aggressively, one yank on her veil by mistake and the results are cringe worthy.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:17 am
m-u-a-mama wrote:
All of this
I'm a makeup artist

I charge WAAAAAY less then this.
And yes I have experience, I travel to the hall/house, I offer a pre-wedding trial, I come back after the chuppa... its up to you if you want to use the "top names". I do t blame you. I did too. But I didn't kvetch about how expensive it was.

I recently had a kallah try to bargain me down. I wanted to hang up on her. I charge $90 to do a kallah. In Lakewood! I'm probably the cheapest mua there is! I'm barely covering my babysitter and gas by the time I'm done!

I get you girl. I do both, hair and makeup and some people just have unreasonable expectations of what they want to pay. Yes there definitely are brand name artists. But there are so many cheaper options that are just as good. The market is flooded. Brooklyn and Lakewood.
In the non jewish world it's the same. You have bridal stylists that charge $2000 for a bride and some that charge $200. (Btw very rarely will you find bridal artists in the non Jewish world that are as cheap as in the Jewish world but that's a whole other conversation.)

Op I sympathize with your frustration. I'm not a spender myself (my wedding gown was $100 from a gmach!). Wedding costs are high in every aspect.
But brand names cost brand name prices.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:26 am
I get you girl. I do both, hair and makeup and some people just have unreasonable expectations of what they want to pay. Yes there definitely are brand name artists. But there are so many cheaper options that are just as good. The market is flooded. Brooklyn and Lakewood.
In the non jewish world it's the same. You have bridal stylists that charge $2000 for a bride and some that charge $200. (Btw very rarely will you find bridal artists in the non Jewish world that are as cheap as in the Jewish world but that's a whole other conversation.)

Op I sympathize with your frustration. I'm not a spender myself (my wedding gown was $100 from a gmach!). Wedding costs are high in every aspect.
But brand names cost brand name prices.

I'm not looking for a brand name. I wish I knew of cheaper ones. People have told me for kallahs this is the norm. I cant imagine why a regular style is $35-55 while a kallah is 500+.

bsy

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm not looking for a brand name. I wish I knew of cheaper ones. People have told me its normal for kallahs this is the norm. I cant imagine why a regular style is $35-55 while a kallah is 500+.

In Brooklyn, Esther Levy is amazing and under 100

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:38 am
I paid $650 + travel fee for 4 faces. I put $150 down in advance. She came to the hall, but we did touchups ourselves. Everyone looked beautiful and I don’t regret it a bit.

Hair cost me more- but I more people got their hair done. I had younger girls that needed hair but not makeup.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:42 am
amother OP wrote:
First of all, I dont think its fair to deprive my daughter from what everyone is doing. But how can stylists charge that much only bc its a kallah?

And when I got married, also 2 decades, ago I paid $50 for my face. Of course things went up, but this is waaay overboard.

Because coming back cost so much in time and money, my daughter put on a wig before the chuppah and left some hair out. We just gently nudged it back in after yichud. I would not have risked doing it myself.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:44 am
I had an outstanding makeup artist that came highly recommended from the non Jewish world and she charged me $350 including travel. The results were stunning.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics