Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Does it still count as my minhag...

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 7:54 am
...if I never remember to do it?

Specifically, refraining from the arduous task of pushing the button on the washing machine on Rosh Chodesh.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 8:01 am
I don't know where this idea came that the whole issue boils down to pushing a button.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 8:05 am
No thinks "Oh boy I gotta do laundry! BH it's Rosh chodesh and dh has to push the button and not me! I get to relax!"

happytobemom

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 4:25 pm
I don't know specifically about turning on the washing machine on R"Ch.

I'll answer in general.

A minhag is not something you decided on your own to do and then continued doing.
It is a minhag because it was started in your family/husband's family/community... before you.
So yes, if it is your minhag, it remains your minhag, even if you keep forgetting!

Girl@Heart

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 5:27 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
No thinks "Oh boy I gotta do laundry! BH it's Rosh chodesh and dh has to push the button and not me! I get to relax!"

It’s not about the button. If you keep that minhag you shouldn’t be sorting or shlepping around the baskets or loading the machines. If you did all that already you can press the button

SG18

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 11:13 pm
You can do hatarat nedarim to negate the minhag if you don't do it anyway and it no longer serves you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions