Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is it normal to keep milk on the door of the fridge
1  2  Next

is it normal
yes  
 84%  [ 190 ]
no  
 15%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 226

ceebea

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:27 pm
Ill give more context later. I want to hear responses first.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:30 pm
In my main fridge in the kitchen, I keep milk on the top shelf. In my extra fridge, I keep it on the door.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:33 pm
My parents do, so obviously it's normal. Case closed.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:33 pm
Thats what we did growing up and thats what my in laws do and thats what we do now. Thats the only place in the fridge it fits. And it does not go off quickly at all.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:34 pm
Yes it’s normal but dh refuses, says is gets bad faster so we keep it in the back.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:37 pm
I use the Israeli milk in plastic bags, and once you open them there is no way of sealing them again. The door is the safest place, with the lowest risk of getting it knocked over.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:39 pm
Normal? Of course!
The best strategy? No.
The door is the warmest part of the fridge, thanks to its exposure to outside air every time the door is opened. It is therefore best for less-perishable items like soft drinks, pickles, condiments and so on. IOW, things that don't genuinely need to be refrigerated but you want cold, or things like juices that are perishable but less so. The best place for milk is near the back of the fridge, where the cold air drifts down from the freezer.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:43 pm
It is normal.

But not the best spot as the door is the warmest.

But if you anyway finish milk within a few days,
It is good enough.

If you need yr milk to stay fresh for a week, store
It deep inside the fridge.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:44 pm
It is the warmest part of the fridge, but it fits well and is always accessible.

Many people store the milk there, so yes, it is "normal."

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:49 pm
So OP, did you win the argument with DH?

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:59 pm
Door is fine and pretty normal

My milk can last up to a week when opened and even longer when not opened. The milk I get seems to have a much longer shelf life than years before - based on the use by date.

I do get milk in plastic containers so maybe that helps keep it fresher since there is a better seal from the cap than when you just push a waxed paper type of container shut. I know that sometimes the paper containers leak so I deliberately buy plastic to avoid potential messes.

At any rate most bottles of milk would likely be stored on the top shelf because it generally has the most height and people seem to adjust their shelves that way. The top of a refrigerator is the warmest because heat rises.

A good compromise might be to store sealed containers not on the door and then move them to the door when open for convenience.

imaima

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 4:27 pm
ceebea wrote:
Ill give more context later. I want to hear responses first.

That’s where my milk is at right now

hodeez

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 4:28 pm
Milk goes so fast here doesn't matter where I put it

GLUE

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 5:19 pm
Am I the only cracked pot who drives across town to buy milk at a store were I like the temp. they keep the refrigerates on, and that they don't leave the milk in the aisle until they get around to putting it in the fridge.

When getting home milk is always put on the bottom shelf in the back.

I had to many experiences in were I spilled milk down the sink that I am a little paranoid.

happytobemom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 5:20 pm
So op are you going to give us context now? Smile
(I voted yes)

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 5:34 pm
I think it’s personality.
My fil sits and cringes every time my fridge door is open for more than he thinks is okay. (In his house he stops it, but he can’t in my house.)
And I casually tell him that in our house it’s okay to keep the fridge open.house rules.
And we almost never have things going bad….I guess we use everything very quickly.

im shy

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 5:44 pm
It depends how quickly you use it up. If you keep milk in the fridge for 2 weeks, it's probably not ok. If you use up your milk in 3 days, it probably is ok.

The door is the warmest spot, so it probably won't last very long there...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 6:36 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I use the Israeli milk in plastic bags, and once you open them there is no way of sealing them again. The door is the safest place, with the lowest risk of getting it knocked over.

I close my milk with a plastic clip Smile

ocean blue

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:42 pm
It really depend on your fridge.
We always kept milk bottles in the door because it was the most practical until we moved and the milk spoiled too quickly when stored in the door. So we now keep it on the top shelf and it stays fresh.

happy chick

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:19 pm
Elfrida wrote:

Not to veer off topic, but can't anyone think of any other was to package milk? The first time I visited Israel, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that. Liquids should not be packaged in bags Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics