Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How do you feel about Chassidish levush as a Purim costume
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you think it's disrespectful for a non-Chossid to dress up as a Chossid for Purim
Yes  
 20%  [ 47 ]
No  
 79%  [ 187 ]
Total Votes : 234

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 12:53 am
Chasidish here.
There's no problem at all.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 12:58 am
amother Lilac wrote:
Whats the diff between men dressing up chassidish and then people dressing up as a black man or a chinese woman?

We are talking about Jews dressing up as a different kind of Jew. It's like a black man dressing up as a different black man or a Chinese woman dressing up as a different Chinese woman. Chasidish Jews are not another race than non-chasidish ones. It's within the family. Duh!

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 3:38 am
Being offended is the national past time.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 3:56 am

Last edited by DrMom on Fri, Jan 06 2023, 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 4:17 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
My chassidish cousins once dressed up as "cool litvish" people for purim. We (the "cool litvish" family lol) thought it was hillarious. The girls wore long slinky skirts and tichels pulled back to show a bit of hair, and long earrings and I forgot what else but it looked so funny (they normally dress really chassidish, vizhnitz). There were no hard feelings at all

Love it Smile
Litvish do dress up as chassidish here and it's totally acceptable. Last year I saw a teenager in chassidish Purim costume. With his pants tucked into this socks. One was black. The other white Smile

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 4:51 am
I have no issue with this

I also dont mind when non jews dress up as chassidim as long as it is not in a derogatory manner
This is fine

This is offensive and antisemitic

NechaMom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:02 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
No. If I choose to wear a long sleeve tee shirt in the summer that I bought at Zara or handm it’s not a costume. Not sure how you can compare a shtreimel To a tee shirt.

My point is that our way of dress is a costume in the eyes of outsiders. Both men and ladies. I guess some people more, some less. It’s definitely not only chassidish men.
How is a shtreimel less a costume than an up hat? It’s just Jews and the Amish who dress this way.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 7:59 pm
I see both ways. one year I was a lady bug and another year a taco. they didn't get offended!

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 8:24 pm
Its offensive to mock chasidim on imamother or elsewhere

Its offensive to write articles portraying cHasidim in a negative light.

but as a fellow ultra orthodox chasid I assure you that dressing up as us is the least offensive thing one can do. Its actually sweet.

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 11:21 am
I’m chassidish. I think it’s completely ok and usually done respectfully and cute! It’s a great costume. When I got married we were “light chassidish” and I borrowed a Shpitzel from a friend for Purim. So I was dressing up like a more chassidish lady. Fast forward a bunch of years, I’m now wearing a Shpitzel every day. I guess when I dressed up with it, it was because I respected it and wanted it for myself. Point being it’s a compliment, let’s take it that way and be proud people want to dress like us when they have a chance!

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 1:23 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

It's a full time job for some...

Fox

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 3:05 pm
The point of costumes, sociologically speaking, is to give people a chance to "try on" other identities for a brief time -- "to be what one is not." At their best, costumes give people a chance to imagine themselves as belonging to other groups or possessing other identities.

The primary objections to various ethnic costumes originally arose from the costumes of drunken college students. It's always a mistake to draw any societal lessons from drunken college students; they make a mockery of themselves, let alone others.

Blackface is a special category because of the entertainment tradition in which white performers emulated blacks, often in derogatory ways, but more importantly, prevented black performers from working.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 3:28 pm
NechaMom wrote:
My point is that our way of dress is a costume in the eyes of outsiders. Both men and ladies. I guess some people more, some less. It’s definitely not only chassidish men.
How is a shtreimel less a costume than an up hat? It’s just Jews and the Amish who dress this way.

And my point is that it’s not. A typical frum woman is wearing clothing that any non jewish woman would wear as well. A non jewish man is is not going to be dressed in the same clothes as a chossid.

amother
Brass

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 11:01 am
One year dh dressed as yerushalmi and I dressed as dati leumi and we walked around like that in Yerushalayim and people were very confused LOL

amother
Oldlace

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 10:54 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Omg love this! Totally!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 12:10 am
I'm chassidish.
I have no problem with it. I dressed up with a shpitzel one year, it was fun (and a hundred times more comfortable than a shaitel)
My sister dressed up as an Israeli Dati Le'umi lady (mitpachat, colorful flowing clothes, etc.), my cousin as a Lubavitcher man (untucked shirt, yechi yarmulke, Lubavitch hat, etc.), a friend's son dressed up as an MO man (his mother's shaitel cut very short with a small kippa pinned on with clips. That was so cute)
It's all in good fun... it's Purim!

If not for the history of blackface being used to make fun of black people, I wouldn't think that blackface is a problem either, same way I don't think that dressing up like any other type of people is a problem. I think that woke, rich, white people get way more offended than the actual people you're dressing up as.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Jan 10 2023, 9:44 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
I'm chassidish.
I have no problem with it. I dressed up with a shpitzel one year, it was fun (and a hundred times more comfortable than a shaitel)
My sister dressed up as an Israeli Dati Le'umi lady (mitpachat, colorful flowing clothes, etc.), my cousin as a Lubavitcher man (untucked shirt, yechi yarmulke, Lubavitch hat, etc.), a friend's son dressed up as an MO man (his mother's shaitel cut very short with a small kippa pinned on with clips. That was so cute)
It's all in good fun... it's Purim!

If not for the history of blackface being used to make fun of black people, I wouldn't think that blackface is a problem either, same way I don't think that dressing up like any other type of people is a problem. I think that woke, rich, white people get way more offended than the actual people you're dressing up as.

You should switch to a Shpitzel full time;)!

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Jan 10 2023, 9:49 am
I once saw a chassidish Halloween costume. I was taken aback at it. I am not chassidish. But in a way after thinking about not megilla character costumes, we usually choose something to dress up as that a little peice of us wants to be. Not an insult.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Jan 10 2023, 9:49 am
I’ll never forget the moment a few years ago when someone I was with complimented a lady’s chassidish costume and the lady was actually not dressed up. She was a BT so didn’t have a chassidish accent and spoke flawless English, it really did seem like she was dressed up. We all felt so bad.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 10 2023, 10:05 am
Wouldn't bother me. Chassidish here.
My husband likes to dress as authentic diff type of Jews, borrowing the real clothes of people wearing them. He was once a Gurer, a yerushalmi, a lubavicher, a litvak with a frock, a srugo kippah.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics