Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Wholesome jewish music
Previous  1  2

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 3:07 pm
scintilla wrote:
Ok I totally get where you're coming from now and understand why you associate the two. Just want to point out that it's not actually associated and I would say it's not standard for Chabad to act this way, I am Chabad and know many people who believe different things and pesukim are not seen as related to that whole idea.

Basically, I get why it turns you off, and I want you to know that that has to do with the Chabad people in your area (I'm not commenting on their actions) and not the pesukim themselves.

I've lived in other places too and this was what it was like there as well. I've only seen them in the context of trying to get other people to join chabad/join the moshiach movement.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 3:10 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Nowadays the only people I know who are very into the pesukim are people who believe the rebbe is moshiach. Chabad in my neighborhood hosts events and makes sure to give kids candy to shout them out at every one, and wave moshiach flags.

On shabbos they come into the parks and give kids candy if they say the pesukim, and if mothers get upset they bribe the kids with candy to do it behind their back.

Even if the Chabad Rebbe did come out with them before the Moshiach movement its very much associated with it nowadays.

Just because one Rav said these are important pesukim doesn't mean my Rav agrees or I feel the need for my child to chant them.

Also I don't think teaching kids to take candy from strangers in exchange for doing things is a healthy thing to teach and I just don't want my kids having anything to do with them

I’m sorry this is the way the Chabad in your area functions. No wonder you are turned off. I have been to many Chabads and in many neighborhoods where there are chabads, and have never seen anything like this. Kids (and adults) are encouraged to know and say these pesukim, but not with any connection to mishechist- just because they are the epitome of torah life. The people I know who are mishechist (and I know many) do not flaunt it or shout it. It is their own personal, private belief.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers