Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What to give child who's allergic to milk and soy

cheerios

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 7:31 am
What would you give a child to drink who is allergic to milk and soy. I was thinking of rice dream, but it's not that nutritious. Is almond milk better? any other options?

chavy

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 7:35 am
why do u say rice dream is not healthy? it certainly is, u buy the enriched rice dream that has calcium and vitamin d....

ss321

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 7:39 am
almond milk tastes great, and I think whole foods sells one that is enriched with calcium. I love the vanilla flavored one.

theres also something called hemp milk that I recently discovered at whole foods. nice thing about it is it has tons of omega-3s. But I dont think its calcium enriched.

Imawoman

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 8:04 am
Hemp is the marijuana plant Smile Not sure if that is safe to give to your child...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 8:06 am
Rice milk isn't a bad option. There are also foods that have calcium like raw almonds, spinach, broccoli...

ss321

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 8:07 am
Imawoman wrote:
Hemp is the marijuana plant Smile Not sure if that is safe to give to your child...

I highly doubt what Im buying is marijunana. I didnt even know that fact till you said it just now. heres an example of hemp milk http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi.....eport
I dont think its marijuana.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 8:08 am
Imawoman wrote:

Nervous so we can all run to whole foods for a quick fix Drunken Smile

yeah go to whole foods and pick up ricedream check out all the nutrients ... also have you ever tried goat's milk - they say you don't have allergies like with cow's milk ...

cheerios

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 8:30 am
Quote:
why do u say rice dream is not healthy? it certainly is, u buy the enriched rice dream that has calcium and vitamin d....

I don't think it's UNhealthy, just compared to soymilk, which has protein and fiber on it's own. Rice dream only gives you nutrients if it's enriched. Meaning on it's own it's not that full of vitamins. (It's like for example, would you rather eat whole grain bread or "enriched" bread. First they take out all the bran and germ, then they enrich it to put back some of what they took out.)

Quote:
almond milk tastes great, and I think whole foods sells one that is enriched with calcium. I love the vanilla flavored one.

Is the almond milk healthier (on its own) than the rice dream. or is does it also need to be enriched to have any nurtritional value. That's my question.

red sea

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 8:56 am
I really dont think there is a big nutritional difference between rice dream & soy milk. Both are not the place to rely on getting enough of what you need. Almond milk (the orig homemade kind) is very superior to all the Dreams however, in the carton it is way processed and loses a lot and if you are in the US you can no longer buy raw almonds (all labeled raw are processed since around last summer) which also reduces their nutritional value. Better rely on produce for nutrition and use it just as a milk replacer imho. btw, you prob did but if the child has allergies did you test them for almonds or know they are ok with it?

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 12:31 pm
Rice milk, in my opinion tastes much better than soy milk anyway!

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 3:19 pm
I don't know how old your child is, but they should be getting the bulk of their protein and fiber from foods they chew with their teeth, not foods they swallow (ie. a drink) - whole grains and fresh fruit will provide lots of fiber and protein can come from a number of sources. We have the soy and dairy allergy too (along with many others) and both my children are doing great with Rice Dream in their cereal and in "cream" sauces. I just wouldn't rely on it (or any other beverage, incl. cow's milk) for providing balanced nutrition, I look at them rather as complimenting a balanced diet.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 4:41 pm
As long as the rice milk is enriched with calcium/vitamin D, I don't see what the problem is.
Like MontrealMommy said, they should get their fiber and protein from food, and it's really easy to eat a diet that is high in fiber and protein.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics