Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
OOT serious kollel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:57 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Far Rockaway has a few (not so oot though)
I have a friend thats very Yeshivish who joined a kollel in Boston. They had to sign a three year contract.

I wouldnt call FR slightly OOT lol. And which kollels? My husband is in one now and the guys there are a bit more chilled unfortunately

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:28 pm
LA cost of living is insane. Would not recommend unless you have some serious family support.
As far as serious/ guys always coming on time...
Reality is (what I've seen from the kollels my husband has been in) Once you have a family, so let's say 2+ kids, realistically more of the burden is going to fall on the husband. So this may mean coming 15 minutes late to get the kids to daycare so mom can get to work, or leaving 15 minutes early etc... Even on a regular basis. Nothing to do with serious or not serious, this is the reality of the kollel lifestyle
The fact that you chose to focus on that makes me think that either you have no kids yet, or maybe one baby or else that you're getting some serious family support and don't have to work.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:33 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
LA cost of living is insane. Would not recommend unless you have some serious family support.
As far as serious/ guys always coming on time...
Reality is (what I've seen from the kollels my husband has been in) Once you have a family, so let's say 2+ kids, realistically more of the burden is going to fall on the husband. So this may mean coming 15 minutes late to get the kids to daycare so mom can get to work, or leaving 15 minutes early etc... Even on a regular basis. Nothing to do with serious or not serious, this is the reality of the kollel lifestyle
The fact that you chose to focus on that makes me think that either you have no kids yet, or maybe one baby or else that you're getting some serious family support and don't have to work.

OOT Kollelim that pay a salary and often housing have real expectations. They are often a spring board for a position in klei kodesh and if your not treating it like a job you wont get the rebbe job you want next, or the kashrus position etc. You need to be making a good impression.

rachelli66

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:36 pm
Isn't this more for your DH to reach out to his friends, Roshei Kolel, Maggidei Shiur, and ask them? He can ask about hours, days, (not everyone learns Fridays) extra learning time for extra pay. Best he should spend time after Shabbos and find out.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:11 pm
I heard St. Louis has serious Lakewood kollel but very hard to get in

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:13 pm
There is one in Hollywood fl bais mordechai rabbi Zevi smith opened

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:09 pm
Just a note on Boston-

We're probably more affordable than NY and definitely a nice OOT feel (in my opinion) but YEESH this place is not cheap.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:27 pm
mha3484 wrote:
OOT Kollelim that pay a salary and often housing have real expectations. They are often a spring board for a position in klei kodesh and if your not treating it like a job you wont get the rebbe job you want next, or the kashrus position etc. You need to be making a good impression.
💯 In a serious OOT kollel, you’re expected to treat your kollel hours the way you would your job hours. If you want your husband to pick up the slack when you can’t find a babysitter, stay in BMG or look for a “chilled” OOT kollel.

Matisse

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:22 pm
Norfolk, VA:)

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:17 am
How far out of town are you looking for? Minneapolis is looking for a few new yungeleit this year.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:25 am
Try Naugatuck, CT

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:19 am
Sorry to sidetrack- which kollelim are serious, relatively affordable cities, not in town in terms of pressure or gashmiyus, and working with the klal is encouraged?

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:23 am
amother Cognac wrote:
h

Not where I live. DH and I take turns taking off for sick kids, even though I ran out of sick days and he technically doesn’t have a number.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 4:11 am
I heard Denver has some openings now

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:51 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Sorry to sidetrack- which kollelim are serious, relatively affordable cities, not in town in terms of pressure or gashmiyus, and working with the klal is encouraged?

Minneapolis checks 3/4. Can’t say for sure the seriousness of the learning, but they all seem pretty serious from the outside. They’ve put out a couple seforim. Minneapolis is very friendly and warm, laid back. The kollel owns houses and apartment buildings so the smaller families can live in a building with other kollel families and the ones who are placed in houses are on very Jewish blocks. For people who stick around after, jobs in the mosdos are all but guaranteed, and housing is relatively affordable (entry-level homes around 400k). South bend and Cleveland are the only communities I know of with cheaper housing.
It was developed to be an outreach kollel so I believe all of the yungeleit get a community chavrusa or two, many of the wives are part of women’s partners in torah. Not sure if there’s a requirement for hosting.

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:53 pm
Is Minneapolis a young community? Is it growing or shrinking?

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 4:10 pm
Norfolk Virginia

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 4:49 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Is Minneapolis a young community? Is it growing or shrinking?

Growing slowly. I’d say in a given year we have 3-5 new families, plus a few kollel families (kollel obviously varies by year, but this year I heard they’re looking for 4-5 families which would be a huge “class.” Most years it’s 1-2 families.

I’d say trending toward young, but It depends a lot on where you find yourself. People who grew up here are starting to stay/come back, which was not the case 15-20 years ago. The “dead” shul is now vibrant, and has babysitting every Shabbos so attracts a ton of families. The shul most kollel families go to is trending a bit older now because the other one has pulled so many young families away, but there’s still a non-negligible contingent of kids. They also still host the Bnos and Pirchei groups so there’s a lot of movement back and forth.

I think the school has about 300 kids, but k”ah the early childhood program is booming. I think 2 of the 4 years have had to be split into two classes. Most classes school-wide have around 10-15 kids, with some of the older grades dropping to 5-10. There were 29 babies born the year my daughter was born, which was a big year. In fact, the hardest part about living here is that there is not enough under-2 child care to meet demand.

TESG

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:05 pm
Toronto/Thornhill

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 6:00 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
Growing slowly. I’d say in a given year we have 3-5 new families, plus a few kollel families (kollel obviously varies by year, but this year I heard they’re looking for 4-5 families which would be a huge “class.” Most years it’s 1-2 families.

I’d say trending toward young, but It depends a lot on where you find yourself. People who grew up here are starting to stay/come back, which was not the case 15-20 years ago. The “dead” shul is now vibrant, and has babysitting every Shabbos so attracts a ton of families. The shul most kollel families go to is trending a bit older now because the other one has pulled so many young families away, but there’s still a non-negligible contingent of kids. They also still host the Bnos and Pirchei groups so there’s a lot of movement back and forth.

I think the school has about 300 kids, but k”ah the early childhood program is booming. I think 2 of the 4 years have had to be split into two classes. Most classes school-wide have around 10-15 kids, with some of the older grades dropping to 5-10. There were 29 babies born the year my daughter was born, which was a big year. In fact, the hardest part about living here is that there is not enough under-2 child care to meet demand.

Do you live there? Can you pm me?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating