Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Yeshivish community in Baltimore?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:26 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
It’s not “the real yeshivish area” at all. Like the rest of Baltimore, this area is very mixed. Even among yeshivish families you’ll find a huge mix here. Just like everyone else in town. This is not going to have exclusive, all the same hashkafa feel that OP wants. That’s just not Baltimore. BH.

OP wants yeshivish Baltimore but has never heard of Ner Yisroel. I don’t think Baltimore is what she’s looking for.

I agree.
I feel from OP's posts that she wants more homogeneous which Baltimore just isn't. Not anywhere in Baltimore.
It's what most of us specifically love about Baltimore.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:37 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
I agree.
I feel from OP's posts that she wants more homogeneous which Baltimore just isn't. Not anywhere in Baltimore.
It's what most of us specifically love about Baltimore.

Yep.

Regarding Scott's Hill... if the Op would be looking the most RW schools, there are 2 or 3 boys' schools to the right of TA, which would rule out that neighborhood immediately. Scotts Hill is walkable — well, hike-able — to other neighborhoods and it is not within the Baltimore Eruv.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:41 am
Sounds like OP is looking for a yeshivish like Lakewood (or similar) but out of town and more affordable? There’s a reason most don’t move out of Lakewood and the like- the out of town experience is not the same- cannot even come close- to the “everyone is on the same page about what’s ok and what’s not ok” in a community. With regard to technology, movies, mixed kiddush etc etc. there’s a range of “normal” in OOT communities and in general when it comes to friends and schools, the residents of those communities don’t discriminate against families not exactly like them hashkafically. They also don’t “box” people either so it seems that what you are looking for will be elusive if you are looking OOT. Unless you join a kollel community somewhere like Montreal etc. btw- it’s all of the above is what we LOVE about Baltimore, and why we looked to move there from in town in the first place.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My impressions of the Upper Park Heights/Glen area is that it's filling up more and more with the younger families. No data on it, just my observations.

TA area isn't so big, but a more homogeneous group. It's not really walkable to the main area of Baltimore unless you have a pressing reason and don't mind walking a while (e.g. a SZ). Not practical for Shabbos playdates.

Glen is considered upper PH? Wouldn't that be Seven Mile Lane or Slade?

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:43 am
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

Here’s an idea of what the housing market is like. Prices have come down recently but not to what they were like before.
Remember that nooone takes buses here. If you want to go anywhere, you need a car. Two parents=two cars. The buses that go around are empty. And students don’t ride for free, it’s almost $2 a ride. Tuition is also higher than in town, I think it’s about $10,000/child with boys schools charging more than girls schools. If you qualify there is boost and child care vouchers until boost kicks in and the funds don’t run out or don’t get renewed. Lunches are free or reduced if you qualify but then it’s $$. Not everyone gets but just telling you. The schools have one tuition reductions forms for all the schools. There are programs to help with lots of things if you qualify-homeowners, heap, etc.

Oh-if you look online at housing prices make sure you get the food blocks. Lots of streets go where frum people don’t live but the eruv is there so it’s confusing.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:44 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Yep.

Regarding Scott's Hill... if the Op would be looking the most RW schools, there are 2 or 3 boys' schools to the right of TA, which would rule out that neighborhood immediately. Scotts Hill is walkable — well, hike-able — to other neighborhoods and it is not within the Baltimore Eruv.

not sure I agree that it should be ruled out. Other than yeshiva lane, its the only neighborhood in Baltimore that is only yeshivish. If a couple of families moved into that neighborhood and sent their boys to TI together, then carpool is no longer an issue. Why rule out such a neighborhood then?
Also, scotts hill has its own eruv. there are a lot of nice families there with young children, I have visited for shabbos before and its a great kehilla feel.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:46 am
amother Almond wrote:
not sure I agree that it should be ruled out. Other than yeshiva lane, its the only neighborhood in Baltimore that is only yeshivish. If a couple of families moved into that neighborhood and sent their boys to TI together, then carpool is no longer an issue. Why rule out such a neighborhood then?
Also, scotts hill has its own eruv. there are a lot of nice families there with young children, I have visited for shabbos before and its a great kehilla feel.

Is there a shul and rav in Scott’s hill? Last I asked they daven in TA and there’s no rav but I could be wrong- and TI also has a mix even if their hashkafa is more RW yeshivish. And you are still left with thr girls school problem as there is nothing similar to TI for girls

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:56 am
amother Smokey wrote:
Is there a shul and rav in Scott’s hill? Last I asked they daven in TA and there’s no rav but I could be wrong- and TI also has a mix even if their hashkafa is more RW yeshivish. And you are still left with thr girls school problem as there is nothing similar to TI for girls

of course! the shul is part of the yeshiva. It's not just a minyan, it's a cohesive kehilla, comprised of many Rebbeim at TA and many others. It's not run by TA or the TA board, its a real kehilla in its own right using the TA facilities, but everyone there feels connected to TA to some degree, either they teach there, or their kids go to school there, or just they daven there and like the other members of their kehilla. My friend who lives there loves it there, everyone feels like her family because its small and everyone counts.
There are about 35 frum families I believe. the Rav is Rabbi Herskowitz, who used to be the mashgiach at TA, and he teaches at Bais Yaakov. he is an adam choshuv. the last time I was at a chuppa when he was given a bracha, he was called up as Mara d'asra d'kehillas chofetz chaim. (TA is officaly yeshivas chofetz chaim talmudical academy)

ETA my husband just told me that the Rav doesnt usually pasken, but other than that he is definitely the Rav of the kehilla and everyone defers to his leadership. He refers shailahs to other rabbonim in town, and most people in the niehgborhood have a shaychus with another Rav too.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 7:02 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
The areas in the square of Taney, park heights, Strathmore, cross country is FULL of yeshivish families with young kids.

Yes. But like I said, it’s very mixed and has many other types also.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 7:04 am
amother Smokey wrote:

Even TI has mixed families, they are just better at hiding what they do. I sent my son there for a year, and my husband taught there and at Shlangers for many years.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 7:14 am
amother Almond wrote:

Makes sense to rule it out because it is literally a TA neighborhood, despite the fact that it is TA rebbeim and like-minded people, and there is no way that OP would send to TA based on her description.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 7:28 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
Glen is considered upper PH? Wouldn't that be Seven Mile Lane or Slade?

Glen is 100% upper park heights.
Seven Mile/Slade is basically Dumbarton already.
North of Northern Parkway is Upper Park Heights.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 10:28 am
Just be aware that (I am pretty sure) BY high school has ZERO rules about technology, so you have to be okay with your daughters being exposed to those that have.

There was some thought to create a more 'yeshivish' high school, but at least some of the rabbonim opposed it, so it doesn't seem likely to happen.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 10:58 am
amother Aqua wrote:
Just be aware that (I am pretty sure) BY high school has ZERO rules about technology, so you have to be okay with your daughters being exposed to those that have.

There was some thought to create a more 'yeshivish' high school, but at least some of the rabbonim opposed it, so it doesn't seem likely to happen.

You are SO wrong.
They have a technology policy. Look it up.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 1:32 pm
I've been living in Baltimore for 11 years now. I think a lot of what you read on this site regarding Baltimore is pretty skewed since from the posts I've seen over the years I wonder if most on here, of course not all, are JPF or perhaps BT's. Not being judgmental just stating how it seems to me from some replies. Most of my yeshivish friends here don't have whatsapp or use any social media and don't have much internet access so I doubt they are spending their time on imamother!

I lived "in town" for a long time, I know what it's about. Baltimore is not "in town" but there are plenty of in town yeshivish type families here that have moved from Monsey and Lakewood (more on heimish side of yeshivish). There are also plenty of out of town yeshivish here. There's a thriving yeshivish community! Also a chasidish community that's way more cohesive.

The strathmore/Taney/ Pinkney areas are no way just older families! Drive down those streets on any nice day and they are SWARMING with kids!

There is no one yeshivish area here. BUT like other posters mentioned there are shuls that do mixed kiddushim and other that use mechitzos. Personally we don't go to mixed kiddushim but I don't have too many friends in that crowd anyway so it doesn't affect me. See, most people here tend to gravitate to their type so it's not a big deal that others do things differently.

My girls know that there are all types in their classes but they're close friends with girls who are our type. Most yeshivish kids are friends with each other. They don't look down on their more modern friends but for the most part, types stick with types. My boys are in TI which is much more homogenous and even the more modern ones would be considered more "cool" than modern. They are much more careful about who they accept than the girls schools which in general seem to be more on the liberal side in terms of hashkafa, even though the parent body itself is a mix. That's the one thing that is still perplexing to me.

There are many MO here who don't wear socks or wear leggings or their real hair blends with their shaitel or fall. Personally I have only seen one or two mothers in my kids grades who don't cover her hair at all and there's about 140 girls in some of their grades. I think the truly MO families go to Or Chadash or beth Tefilah mostly.

These are just my observations. We love it here and have found our niche. I love love love the lack of pressure to conform to all the gashmius garbage in 'in town' communities even though we have plenty of trendy families, just without the pressure! My girls have plenty of other yeshivish kids in their classes and they know they just can't play by certain girls. If they grow up that way, it gets easier as they get older.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 1:48 pm
I keep hearing persistent & pretty reliable rumors about a new Lakewood Kollel opening up in the Greenspring neighborhood.
I wonder how that would affect OPs questions.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 2:28 pm
amother Puce wrote:
I've been living in Baltimore for 11 years now. I think a lot of what you read on this site regarding Baltimore is pretty skewed since from the posts I've seen over the years I wonder if most on here, of course not all, are JPF or perhaps BT's. Not being judgmental just stating how it seems to me from some replies. Most of my yeshivish friends here don't have whatsapp or use any social media and don't have much internet access so I doubt they are spending their time on imamother!

I lived "in town" for a long time, I know what it's about. Baltimore is not "in town" but there are plenty of in town yeshivish type families here that have moved from Monsey and Lakewood (more on heimish side of yeshivish). There are also plenty of out of town yeshivish here. There's a thriving yeshivish community! Also a chasidish community that's way more cohesive.

The strathmore/Taney/ Pinkney areas are no way just older families! Drive down those streets on any nice day and they are SWARMING with kids!

There is no one yeshivish area here. BUT like other posters mentioned there are shuls that do mixed kiddushim and other that use mechitzos. Personally we don't go to mixed kiddushim but I don't have too many friends in that crowd anyway so it doesn't affect me. See, most people here tend to gravitate to their type so it's not a big deal that others do things differently.

My girls know that there are all types in their classes but they're close friends with girls who are our type. Most yeshivish kids are friends with each other. They don't look down on their more modern friends but for the most part, types stick with types. My boys are in TI which is much more homogenous and even the more modern ones would be considered more "cool" than modern. They are much more careful about who they accept than the girls schools which in general seem to be more on the liberal side in terms of hashkafa, even though the parent body itself is a mix. That's the one thing that is still perplexing to me.

There are many MO here who don't wear socks or wear leggings or their real hair blends with their shaitel or fall. Personally I have only seen one or two mothers in my kids grades who don't cover her hair at all and there's about 140 girls in some of their grades. I think the truly MO families go to Or Chadash or beth Tefilah mostly.

These are just my observations. We love it here and have found our niche. I love love love the lack of pressure to conform to all the gashmius garbage in 'in town' communities even though we have plenty of trendy families, just without the pressure! My girls have plenty of other yeshivish kids in their classes and they know they just can't play by certain girls. If they grow up that way, it gets easier as they get older.

I can tell you are a relative newcomer to Baltimore if you are stating that certain boys schools are more "careful" about who they accept than the girls schools and wondering why the girls schools are not so selective. Bais Yaakov is a community school (as is TA, actually). They don't set standards as to who is on the right level or derech in order to be enrolled. Students from all types of backgrounds are welcome.

I grew up in Baltimore as an FFB, btw. Yeshivish background. There was no such thing as yeshivish kids not wanting to be friends with non yeshivish kids or not being allowed to play at their homes. Sure, maybe we didn't eat at everyone's house or their parents knew to ask if it was ok to put on a video when we were little, but absolutely we could and were friends despite having different types of homes.
ETA and I grew up on one of the streets mentioned on this thread as being yeshivish and to the right, lol. Won't say which one!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Latte wrote:
I can tell you are a relative newcomer to Baltimore if you are stating that certain boys schools are more "careful" about who they accept than the girls schools and wondering why the girls schools are not so selective. Bais Yaakov is a community school (as is TA, actually). They don't set standards as to who is on the right level or derech in order to be enrolled. Students from all types of backgrounds are welcome.

I grew up in Baltimore as an FFB, btw. Yeshivish background. There was no such thing as yeshivish kids not wanting to be friends with non yeshivish kids or not being allowed to play at their homes. Sure, maybe we didn't eat at everyone's house or their parents knew to ask if it was ok to put on a video when we were little, but absolutely we could and were friends despite having different types of homes.
ETA and I grew up on one of the streets mentioned on this thread as being yeshivish and to the right, lol. Won't say which one!

I don't understand what you are trying to say. TI is indeed more selective.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
I don't understand what you are trying tos at. TI is indeed more selective.

I had brothers in TI (as well as TA). It's not that selective. Just, families that are more modern are not interested in sending their kids there so rarely apply.
Also maybe reread my post. I specified BY and TA.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 3:14 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
I keep hearing persistent & pretty reliable rumors about a new Lakewood Kollel opening up in the Greenspring neighborhood.
I wonder how that would affect OPs questions.

What does that mean? What makes it a Lakewood kollel if it would be located in Baltimore?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating