Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
S/o do you give child’s high school teachers a tip?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 9:47 am
There are so many? Is it just the machaneches? Or does the obligation disappear after eighth grade? Even middle school- do you give all the different teachers?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 9:57 am
I don't in high school, unless there's a teacher my DD has a particular relationship with.
Yes, I still did in middle school - all the teachers. More to Hebrew teacher and main English teacher, and a gift cert to book store for other teachers.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:04 am
amother OP wrote:
There are so many? Is it just the machaneches? Or does the obligation disappear after eighth grade? Even middle school- do you give all the different teachers?

In high school my daughter is one of 150 girls a teacher is having and she has her for max 4 hours a week.

If my daughters like a teacher enough or have a connection that they ask to deliver something (0 to 2 per year) then I deliver with a modest tip.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 12:42 am
Just a thought from a HS teacher of many years: in HS, it's not about the mother wanting to give MM. Very often, especially in older grades (11, 12) the girl herself either feels appreciation for what the teacher has given her (in class or out), OR (and this is so so common) she would love to develop more of a connection to the teacher but doesn't quite know how. Some girls welcome the opportunity on Purim to bring their teacher something from themselves!! It creates a warmth and bonding feeling that can then be built upon. Ask your daughter if there are one or two such teachers she would love to do this with - you may be surprised!

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 5:08 pm
My dd has collected $20 from each girl, and they distributed it equally to the teachers. Was so easy that way!

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 5:09 pm
The high school office collected from each girl.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 8:06 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
My dd has collected $20 from each girl, and they distributed it equally to the teachers. Was so easy that way!

That’s beautiful! As a long time hs teacher ( that teaches each class 4 times a wk) I have gotten a handful of mm ( under 5 total in 20+ years) it was definitely very nice and thoughtful. Not expected at all.
I really u set stand that it’s not feasible with so many teachers but I often wonder if the girls would collect $1 per girl per teacher how touching and thoughtful that would be .
I x have girls in hs yet, but when they reach hs , will try to encourage my dd to do this.

Also , sometimes parents send something to teachers room ( sushi platter/ danishes etc) with a nice note. That’s also really nice

Again, nothing is expected or mandatory but if you / your dd do feel strong appreciation to a teacher or the teaching staff as a whole , your gesture will not go unnoticed!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 8:10 pm
I'm glad the HS does a purim collection for all the staff so I only need to give once to show my appreciation.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 8:15 pm
As a hs teacher, yeah... No tips. This year I actually gave out my address, so we will see if anyone comes. (Last year a few girls did when I wasn't home! They didn't even leave a note or anything ! Lol?!?)
As mentioned above , a few parents send a platter to teachers room, which is thoughtful !!
When I was in HS, we were a small class, we rented a limo or van and delivered MM to all our teachers Purim night... Doesn't seem to be typical)

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:16 pm
My girls give all their h.s. teachers a small mm from the family with a thank you note on it. For those they have a special kesher with they add a thank you card they like to write themselves. No money included (close to 60 teachers and office staff 😉).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries