Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
I mean fat shaming extreme….

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:07 pm
My daughter just performed for the Purim party in her school.
She headed it with a bunch of other 8 th graders, and of course it came with matching sweatshirts!
The head of it, a teacher bought them adorable sweatshirts size small and medium kids!!! For heaven sake!
So my daughter who is keh 5’7” and stocky, ( not fat though) obviously did not fit into it, and her teachers solution was to sew 2 tops together!!!

I arrive to see her perform and see that there are at least 3 kids heavier than her, who obviously also needed their sweatshirts altered!!!

What the heck! Get bigger sweatshirts if there is 1 big girl in the group, but definitely if there are a few!

It must’ve felt great!!!!

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:16 pm
I am angry on your behalf!
Is this teacher absolutely clueless? Or is she fat shaming on purpose – because she thinks she’s better than everyone and skinny? (yes, I do know people like that).
I would have words with her. They may be informative or otherwise. You may choose to do it now, or after DD graduates – don’t know how many other kids you have in the school.
But completely unacceptable.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:22 pm
I’m hoping it was clueless!!
But please…we’re dealing with teens here…

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:26 pm
That’s so odd! My daughter in 6th grade were given sweatshirts they had through xl kids and adults s-l. Which 8th grader wears such small sizes? That’s really odd. Unless she got some sort of cheap deal for those sizes? Can’t understand the thought process.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:32 pm
When my kids get sweatshirts for some group activity they are asked their sizes.
Assuming everyone is small or medium is obnoxious.

NechaMom

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:33 pm
I would call the teacher and tell her you’re very hurt on behalf of the larger size kids.
You don’t want her to keep doing this.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:44 pm
So weird.
We have the opposite problem, my girls are so petite and we have to get girls clothes that look mature even though they’re in high school, they wear size 10,12,14, girls. But if I was ordering sweatshirts I’d of course offer all sizes!! Even the uniforms for elementary come in adult sizes! Maybe the teacher has a mental illness or eating disorder and thinks all girls should be petite? Which isn’t true!!

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 4:45 pm
That's evil

lfab

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 5:07 pm
Only thing I can think to be DLKZ is that the teacher mistakenly thought she was ordering size s and m adults and didn't realize until they came (and was too late to order new) that they were kids sizes. Though I'm not sure how any of the kids fit into those sizes. My very petite 4' 9" 80 something pound 13 year old wouldn't even fit in those sizes.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 5:21 pm
I'm trying to picture 2 sweatshirts sewn together. Probably looked like a clown costume. What was she thinking?? Those poor girls.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 5:29 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I'm trying to picture 2 sweatshirts sewn together. Probably looked like a clown costume. What was she thinking?? Those poor girls.

Basically cut one sweatshirt through the center, put in the center panel of the other sweatshirt, with 2 seams on each side…

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 5:46 pm
I would complain to hanhala

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 5:47 pm
What the…?!?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 5:59 pm
Talk about clueless!

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 6:03 pm
Extremely thoughtless for sure, but why fat shaming??

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 6:30 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
Extremely thoughtless for sure, but why fat shaming??

Because it’s making every kid who isn’t small feel bad about themselves that they’re not fitting into the sweatshirt!!!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 7:04 pm
Time to have a talk with the teacher and principal.

If the teachers made a mistake in ordering they should not have been given out at all.

The teachers sound clueless and thought they had a great “solution”.

They should be spoken to for their own sake for a life lesson and the future.

(Did your DD say anything? Depending on her reaction she might need to be spoken to, but if she is ok, I’d let it go. Mainly because she was not singled out as the only one..B”H!)

Ugh.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 8:08 pm
I'm not sure how there was time to sew together a bunch of sweatshirts but not enough time to order new ones on Amazon Prime...

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 8:26 pm
This is terrible. Ouch. I'm a teacher and we are so conscious of this when choosing costumes - it's the 1st thing we think of!!

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 11:22 pm
Honestly, in this case I find it pretty easy to be DLKZ and assume the teacher was clueless or there was an accident in ordering. I think that is more likely than purposely trying to hurt the bigger girls.

I could imagine teacher: "I need 20 shirts for 8th grade girls, please give me different sizes".
60 year old male chain supply worker "well my granddaughter is in 5th grade and would definitely be a size Small, so I'll give Small and Medium!"

The hurt is 100% real for the girls who didn't fit, but I don't believe that a malicious intention was real.

Sorry that this happened to those girls.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children