Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Have you ever successfully dyed a dress?

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 5:10 pm
I just got a gown from AliExpress after 2 months (!!) And it's white instead of gray. I was thinking to dye it with Rit dye, has anyone done that successfully? I'm wondering if it'll work on the tulle as well as the silky underlay

balance

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 5:52 pm
I did a jacket. The higher percentage of natural fibres the more the dye takes so the lining which was polyester didn't absorb the dye as well as the outer layer which was cotton. Check what the fabrics are made of or they may not come out the same color.

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:24 pm
Totally off topic as your asking about dying but did you know that you can dispute on aliexpress? I find them pretty quick to refund if you have a valid reason. If the picture looked grey it might be easier to ask for a refund (I always select refund without return)

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:30 pm
Natural fibers take dyes well; synthetics don't. But even fabrics that take dyes well seldom take them evenly in a home wash machine or bathtub. Most garments are dyed as yarn before they're knitted or woven, and even fabrics that are dyed after knitting or weaving are subjected to conditions much more intense than those you can achieve at home. It's very hard to get the dye to take evenly, especially on a finished garment with its gathers, interfacings, zippers and so on. Even if the color is even and not streaky, you can never be sure how the color will appear when you're done. You may expect candy-apple red and end up with brick, or navy blue and end up with slate. I'd advise very strongly against trying to dye a dress.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics