Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Adjusting chumros over the years...
Previous  1  2

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 10:36 pm
amother OP wrote:

A few years ago, I started using garlic---neither dh nor I are Russian--at all....

What's the connection between using garlic and being Russian? Russian chabad people use garlic while others don't? But chabad originated in Russia

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 10:42 pm
I do mostly like my parents except they eat gebroks. Dh parents only used peeled veggies and barely any spices and don't seel real.chometz.

We spoke to a rav years ago and were told we can sell real chometz even if his parents don't. I don't peel all veggies and fruits. ( They end up not using most stuff cuz they are hard to peel)

For the most part I buy wtvr I need as long as it's not kitnoyos or gebroks.

I try to make it as stress free as possible with the cleaning and cooking. Yt is a beautiful time and I want to enjoy it and if it takes away from that we reevaluate.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 10:45 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
What's the connection between using garlic and being Russian? Russian chabad people use garlic while others don't? But chabad originated in Russia

Chabad is Russian. They don't use garlic.
OP said she is not Russian so why should she follow the chabad minhag of not using garlic.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 10:50 pm
As someone posted upthread, we keep the best of both of our parents. My parents use back pepper corns and cinnamon sticks (grounded in a coffee grinder). My in-laws don't eat the matzo in a bag at meals (for gebroktz purposes).
I think my mom added buying ready ground nuts and watching the fish monger mix the gefilta fish instead of mixing and rolling her own.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:43 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Chabad is Russian. They don't use garlic.
OP said she is not Russian so why should she follow the chabad minhag of not using garlic.

With that logic, why keep any chabad minchagim?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 1:30 am
amother Magenta wrote:
With that logic, why keep any chabad minchagim?

OP said she was BT. She didn't say she joined Chabad, just that she kept many Chabad minhagim. She has no reason to keep any Chabad minhagim if she hasn't joined Chabad. Presumably she adopted the ones that appealed to her in one way or another, which many people do even if they're not BT. `

amother
Red

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 1:52 am
We eat only shmurah (machine is fine), don't eat kitniyos, and don't sell chometz.

Otherwise we buy everything that says KLP, except Quinua. DH nervous from that.
This seems pretty common.

Have not changed anything over 20 years in the kashrus dept.

In the "make my life easier even if it costs more" I've gotten a LOT more lax, and get more lax every year. This really adds up as my family grows older, but, oh well. Cheaper than a pesach kitchen.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 2:14 am
My father kept my mothers fathers minhagim because my mother put up a huge fuss…
Dh grew up in Europe with limited ingredients available…
So he told himself if the ingredients were available his parents would’ve used it…
So we keep the chassidish basics. We actually don’t use garlic either.
But we eat all peelable veggies and buy all the items the local stores have (which is only what the local people eat. None of the snacks have garlic for example).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics