Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Not sure if stuff I sold in spice/baking cabinet are ok
Previous  1  2

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:44 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Why would someone sell kitniyos? Theres no prohibition of owning kitniyos even if you don't eat it.

By me I do tape it up in chometz cabinets and freezers I'm selling and don't place together with pesach stuff. I don't sell chometz gamor but kitnyos yes.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 4:53 pm
dankbar wrote:
Chometz sold in a commercial place is fine to eat. But dayanim don't allow to sell real chometz at home. Some people will only buy products that are baked after pesach only, after pesach, if it has a label on it, saying so. Some people have even more chumras of not trusting those labels and will refrain from buying chometz till shavuos. Some will rather eat the ones they know were for sure sold in the store rather than the new, because they don't know where it was over pesach. Some will buy chometz before pesach and then take it to local grocery they should sell it for them, with their store, but it's theirs....everyone has diff minhagim and chumros.

Bread, lukshen, farfel can be made fast after pesach, so those labels are true, could be the dough was frozen and only baked after pesach idk.
Some products are only brought once,twice a year and imported. You never know if they were on a ship if they were sold. Like osem croutons, or other items from Israel brought to America like wafers, lotus cookies.

Kashrus organizations check which distributors sell their chometz. They wouldn't be allowed to sell them in kosher stores.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Kashrus organizations check which distributors sell their chometz. They wouldn't be allowed to sell them in kosher stores.

The stores are all selling chametz that was sold over Pesach.

How do you think they have food the day after Pesach?!

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 5:28 pm
Chametz she'avar alav haPesach is not the same issur as owning chametz on Pesach, and many people who don't sell chametz gamur still use chametz gamur that was sold on Pesach.

newmommy22

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 5:41 pm
I don't generally sell chometz gamur and have found things in my cabinets after pesach that I would have thrown out before Pesach and not sold. When I asked my LOR about it then he said I should use it and not throw it out because if I throw it out I would be showing that I don't believe my mechira was a real sale. But ask your own lor.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 6:01 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
The stores are all selling chametz that was sold over Pesach.

How do you think they have food the day after Pesach?!

Yes, of course kosher stores sell chometz. The other poster said that it's impossible to know if certain products were properly sold over pesach. I said that the kashrus agencies check if distributors sell their chametz.

A kosher store can't sell chometz that WASN'T sold properly over pesach, and that includes being sold by distributors before they are bought by the stores.

happy12

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 6:06 pm
"Some people have even more chumras of not trusting those labels and will refrain from buying until after shavous "(quoting a poster)
So chometz free is now seven weeks.
This is definitely not what the torah wanted.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 6:08 pm
dankbar wrote:
By me I do tape it up in chometz cabinets and freezers I'm selling and don't place together with pesach stuff. I don't sell chometz gamor but kitnyos yes.

Right, but the contract for sale of chometz covers chometz. Leaving something in the cabinet that isn't chometz doesn't mean it is included in the sale. I've never seem a contract for sale of chometz that specifies that it includes kitniyos.

gamanit

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 12:18 am
happy12 wrote:
"Some people have even more chumras of not trusting those labels and will refrain from buying until after shavous "(quoting a poster)
So chometz free is now seven weeks.
This is definitely not what the torah wanted.

Not buying doesn't mean they don't bake themselves...

salt

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 1:33 am
amother Lemon wrote:
this year the rabbi who sold our chametz told us he was also selling our outside garbage cans with the garbage inside of it since pickup wasn't until friday. after that I didn't feel bad about selling open containers!

Why would he feel the need to do that?
Once you throw it out in the garbage it's not yours. You've made it hefker.
A Rabbi should know that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 1:58 pm
oh wow
so the question was legit
I'm more confused now though

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 4:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
oh wow

What’s the confusion?

You sold the contents of a cabinet to a non Jew over pesach. They now belong to you again and you can use them. Doesn’t matter If it was open or closed packages.

If your family has a minhag not to sell chametz gamur and the contents of the cabinet you sold was chametz gamur you need to ask your rav. Check the ingredients to see if there’s any real chametz if this is your issue. Many times the things we sell aren’t real chametz.

Kitniyos doesnt even have to be sold, even though many people sell it along with their chametz, so if you’re question is if you forgot to mark a cabinet as sold - if it’s not really chametz there’s no problem.

Don’t be embarrassed to ask your rav, they don’t think you’re weird for asking such things

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 4:10 pm
watergirl wrote:
Every community’s rav sells all chametz on behalf of everyone, whether you were aware of this or not. Whether you hold you can sell chametz or not. They do this so everyone is covered in a case like this. No one needs to toss food if they are not sure if they sold it. You are covered.

This is most definitely not true.
Any community ive lived in the rav of the community has told the community the set hours where people can come to have the rav sell their chametz. Your idea is definitely not all over. Never heard of this.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 9:32 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
Chametz she'avar alav haPesach is not the same issur as owning chametz on Pesach, and many people who don't sell chametz gamur still use chametz gamur that was sold on Pesach.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the term Chametz she'avar alav haPesach. It isn't chametz that existed on Pesach but chametz that was owned by a Jew on Pesach.
Chametz owned by your Hindu neighbor is not a problem. Chametz in your nonJewish-owned supermarket bought from a non-Jewish-owned distributor is no problem. Chametz bought by a nonJewish owned supermarket from a Jewish manufacturer before Pesach is not a problem. Chametz you sold is no problem, after the rav lets you know he bought it back motzaei chag. None of these is chametz she'avar alav haPesach.

On the other hand, Chametz a Jew or Jewish-owned firm owned and neglected to sell before Pesach, or chametz that a Jew bought on Pesach, regardless from whom, (Let's say your frei cousin bought national-brand cookies on shvi'I shel Pesach to give you as a gift after Pesach) are chametz she'avar alav haPesach and assur forever. If your Hindu neighbor had bought those selfsame cookies on Pesach from a Christian-owned store, they would not be.)

salt

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:57 am
watergirl wrote:
Every community’s rav sells all chametz on behalf of everyone, whether you were aware of this or not. Whether you hold you can sell chametz or not. They do this so everyone is covered in a case like this. No one needs to toss food if they are not sure if they sold it. You are covered.

Not at all true.
You cannot sell someone's belongings without them knowing - it's not a real sale.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:35 am
salt wrote:
Why would he feel the need to do that?
Once you throw it out in the garbage it's not yours. You've made it hefker.
A Rabbi should know that.

If it’s on or in your property there is a degree of ownership. And the garbage cans themselves are not hefker.

If you accidentally threw out $10,000 cash and it was still in your garbage can on your property, and someone else came onto your property and rummaged through your garbage and found it, could they keep it halachically?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 8:06 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
I think you misunderstand the meaning of the term Chametz she'avar alav haPesach. It isn't chametz that existed on Pesach but chametz that was owned by a Jew on Pesach.
Chametz owned by your Hindu neighbor is not a problem. Chametz in your nonJewish-owned supermarket bought from a non-Jewish-owned distributor is no problem. Chametz bought by a nonJewish owned supermarket from a Jewish manufacturer before Pesach is not a problem. Chametz you sold is no problem, after the rav lets you know he bought it back motzaei chag. None of these is chametz she'avar alav haPesach.

On the other hand, Chametz a Jew or Jewish-owned firm owned and neglected to sell before Pesach, or chametz that a Jew bought on Pesach, regardless from whom, (Let's say your frei cousin bought national-brand cookies on shvi'I shel Pesach to give you as a gift after Pesach) are chametz she'avar alav haPesach and assur forever. If your Hindu neighbor had bought those selfsame cookies on Pesach from a Christian-owned store, they would not be.)

Everything in your post is correct, but I don't see why you thought that Orchid was misunderstanding the term. Orchid was saying that even if one is personally makpid not to sell chometz gamur, they may be okay with eating chometz gamur that was sold by a store (e.g. buying chometzdik cereal or cookies or pasta from a Jewish store after Pesach).

If the mechiras chometz was valid, neither selling chometz gamur nor eating chometz gamur that was sold would be problematic. But some people are concerned about the sale (either about the general concept of selling chometz, or worried about specific details of the sale that may not have been executed correctly). In that case, one might refrain from selling one's own chometz, to avoid transgressing the issur doraisa of bal yeiraeh, but might still eat someone else's chometz that was sold, including buying from a Jewish store that sold, because in that case it's only the drabanan of chometz she'avar alav haPesach.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 8:33 am
dankbar wrote:

I think what you’re selling is taaruvos chometz. Things that are not chometz gamur but have chometz in them. No one sells kitniyos as far as I know.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 8:36 am
amother OP wrote:
oh wow

You are fine. Unless you have bread or cookies in your spice cabinet. Nothing in there should be chometz gamur. At most taaruvos chometz. Please ask your rav, it’s just good to have the info. You’ll feel better.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics