Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it possible to transition teenagers to plant based diet?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

giftedmom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:29 pm
Most vegans, especially outspoken ones, have eating disorders. I’ve heard this from a former vegan herself. Just look at a picture of any of those people, including Greta Thunberg. They are not healthy and look emaciated. Human beings are Omnivores and we need animal protein and fat to thrive.
If you want to deprive yourself it’s your funeral. But imposing this on growing teens is abusive. the fact that many people do it doesn’t make it okay.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:29 pm
Nobody is telling anyone to fend for themselves. There is adequate food provided. Nobody is telling anyone they can't have anything. Just this is the way we eat at home and this is what is provided. The obsession with protein, particularly animal protein, is cultural and based on false information that it is needed.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nobody is telling anyone to fend for themselves. There is adequate food provided. Nobody is telling anyone they can't have anything. Just this is the way we eat at home and this is what is provided. The obsession with protein, particularly animal protein, is cultural and based on false information that it is needed.

I have friend that did this.. there was certainly some resentment - but it worked out... it was a gradual process though.. and it took time to find substitutes that were acceptable.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don't think it's fair to make such a drastic change when your kids are already teens

But anyway, instead of asking us, why don't you ask your teens directly? Have an open conversation with them, explain why you think plant based is healthier and ask them their thoughts on it. If they are receptive to it, then go for it. If they are not agreeable to it, then continue providing animal proteins for them.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:43 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
I don't think it's fair to make such a drastic change when your kids are already teens

But anyway, instead of asking us, why don't you ask your teens directly? Have an open conversation with them, explain why you think plant based is healthier and ask them their thoughts on it. If they are receptive to it, then go for it. If they are not agreeable to it, then continue providing animal proteins for them.

Different scenario - Parents become Bt with teens - should parents continue to provide treif products in her home to be fair?

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:48 pm
I think it might work best with buy-in. Teens are often idealistic, and if they understand why and how it's important to you, plus are assured that they will still get yummy food, they'll probably be persuadable to try.

Go for the "gateway drugs" - heavy on choices that might appeal to a developing palate at first, even if the expense, prep time/effort, or calorie count is high. A really great stir fry, Impossible burger, stuffed pepper, salads with lots of choices, a pareve milk based curry...

Lots of delicious options.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:48 pm
My parents did this when I was a teen. I honestly think it's a major factor why I now struggle with binge eating disorder. It was miserable, I never felt full no matter how much ultra low fat vegan food I ate, and every time I was away from home I ate like I didn't know when my next meal would be.

I think it's reasonable to make a family meal that's mostly plant based with an extra dish that isn't for those who feel like the plant based food isn't quite enough.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Different scenario - Parents become Bt with teens - should parents continue to provide treif products in her home to be fair?

Ummmm feeding your kids treif is against halacha. Not at all the same as subjecting your child to a restrictive diet based on personal desires.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:50 pm
amother Thistle wrote:

Was waiting for this one
If someone is BT and changing over the kitchen to be kosher then that is indeed quite a different motivation and a different story altogether

And guess what? It is quite a challenge to have teens change their eating habits so drastically — especially if imposed upon them at such a sensitive time of life—
I remember when I was a teen and if my parents had imposed a plant based meal program at our home it would NOT have been appreciated —tho now sure I would do it for myself

To impose it on a household and in particular upon teens Requires a lot of work energy and TLC and should only be done for such a reason as Halacha (or medical pikuach nefesh)

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:14 pm
I think making a teen effectively drastically change what they eat or don't eat might backfire, and result in rebellion, angst, etc.

I'm remarried just over a year and my husband is pescatarian (Started eating fish l'kovod shabbos v'yom tov about 5 years ago, and was totally vegetarian (only dairy/eggs, etc.) for about 10 years before that. He has no kids of his own, and my kids are old enough, including a couple teens, that I'm not going to drastically change their diets, my diet, etc., nor does he expect me too. I support making sure he has what to eat that doesn't have chicken/meat, and he supports that we will buy/eat chicken/meat and enjoy it when we do.

That said, I make chicken/meat less often. We eat more vegetarian stuff and some fish. There are always cans of tuna and eggs and sometimes chicken nuggets. I usually make chicken/meat for yomim tovim. We do eat lots of eggs during the week for breakfasts as well as yogurt, but not everyday.

In my case, my kids like salmon, tuna, etc. and I didn't often cook much fish or chicken/meat outside of shabbos/yom tov.

I think having an option to add to an already parve meal of some protein that the teens may already be used to may be a good idea. At least sometimes.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:17 pm
amother Thistle wrote:

b'gashmiyus, a lot of common foods can still be eaten even in that situation. It's not never having meat lasagna or never having dairy lasagna....it's just not having meat and cheese lasagna, etc. And then, with some of the parve options these days, one can have meat substitutes with cheese in their lasagna, so I think it's not as similar at all.

And going from theoretically sometimes having shrimp or pork among other protein options to "only" fish, chicken, beef, etc. is no where near as drastic. Also, depending how plant based is being achieved, watch out for effects from soy. Some folks are more sensitive physically and/or emotionally (soy has estrogen in it!) to soy than others.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:26 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Most vegans, especially outspoken ones, have eating disorders. I’ve heard this from a former vegan herself. Just look at a picture of any of those people, including Greta Thunberg. They are not healthy and look emaciated. Human beings are Omnivores and we need animal protein and fat to thrive.
If you want to deprive yourself it’s your funeral. But imposing this on growing teens is abusive. the fact that many people do it doesn’t make it okay.

It is possible to be vegetarian and thrive.

Signed someone who has been vegetarian for 35 years and isn’t emaciated.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
It is possible to be vegetarian and thrive.

Signed someone who has been vegetarian for 35 years and isn’t emaciated.

Vegetarian isn’t plant based

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:28 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
I cook modified paleo for everyone at home so I’m not opposed to “restrictive” diets in principal, I just don’t think plant based aka vegan is the way to go from a nutritional perspective.

There’s a lot of evidence that too much red meat leads to health problems.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:29 pm
Many people would consider a kosher diet restrictive.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:30 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Vegetarian isn’t plant based

It can be mostly plant based, but the point is that people also tell vegetarians that they “must” have animal protein such as chicken to be healthy when it just isn’t so.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:30 pm
Have you asked their doctor? What would you do if for example, one kid ended up anemic because they don't like the veegetables that have the iron? If it's possible to eat well as a vegan, it takes discipline and planning and focus and often doesn't account well for food preferences- what if someone just doesn't like beans or tofu? It can be difficult to eat well when you haven't chosen it. I would have a frank discussion about doing this regarding each teen, individually, with dh, with the doctor, and with each teen. And I would think hard about whether any are picky eaters, have allergies, sensitive stomachs, etc.

I think for teens, it's reasonable to say that you won't be cooking non plant based at this point. You can provide them options that they can make or take on their own- eggs, milk, chicken cutlets. It needs to be discussed first, and if this brings resentment, that's important. I think you can do well by providing appealing vegan options for things like yogurts, and protein and iron rich vegetables prepared in fun ways. But I would be open to changes, and to having naimal products in the house.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:31 pm
Whatever diet and drastic changes the adults want to do should not be imposed upon the kids particularly teens.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:31 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
Many people would consider a kosher diet restrictive.

It is indeed incredibly restrictive, especially when you live in a country that doesn’t have the abundance of Kosher food like USA or Israel.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 6:32 pm
Is it possible? Probably but also teenagers have mind of their own I’d be very upset If my mother just told me one day we’re no longer having meat. if you prefer not to cook it, maybe you can show them how to make basic things that they like that you prefer not to cook.. shnitzel burgers meatballs etc

My husband is vegan I make two separate dinners. It’s hard and very annoying but I’m not going to deprive myself and my children of things we like
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics