Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dc walking barefoot on uneven pavement

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 12:59 pm
My two year old takes off socks/slides when playing outside and insists on walking on the pavement. The only way to prevent this is to keep shoes with laces on all the time. I like for them to wear slides outside, keep the shoes for school. I keep wondering if it doesn’t hurt for child to walk that way? Should I insist on putting socks/slides back on?

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:01 pm
Totally fine unless there are unsafe things lying around such as broken glass and nails...

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:01 pm
My only concern is glass or discarded syringes (yep...) on the street. Otherwise I allow it. Like in the playground or on a suburban sidewalk. It's great overall, all my kids did it - good for balance and grounding. If they start stubbing toes or getting too many booboos then we put bandaid and shoes back on - they get it. Basically you don't have to fight it so much bc there's a pretty swift natural consequence. But if it's unsafe then yeah stand firm.

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:04 pm
What are slides?

(I live in Manhattan so walking barefoot wouldn’t be an option I’d allow for my kids)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:06 pm
This is a front yard with car parking spaces. It’s shared between a few neighbors so likely to be all sorts of rubbish on the floor for sure.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:06 pm
Slides for a 2 year old? Why don’t you find something more supportive like Natives? It’s harder to take off….

cookier

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is a front yard with car parking spaces. It’s shared between a few neighbors so likely to be all sorts of rubbish on the floor for sure.

If there’s a lot of trash I wouldn’t let a 2 year old walk barefoot unless you’ve checked for glass or hazards.

But you should probably just get them shoes they don’t slip in. There’s no good reason to make your kid wear unstable shoes.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:56 pm
Two yr olds shouldn't be in slides, too unsteady. I wouldn't worry too much about ruining shoes because they outgrow them so quickly anyway.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:57 pm
I wonder if he doesn't feel comfortable walking in the slides. I know I don't feel comfortable when I wear slides outside, even though I'm fine wearing them inside. I always feel like they're going to slide right off .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 1:59 pm
The slides have a rubber in the back so they’re pretty closed up. I tried natives in the past and dc took them off as well. I think it’s more of a sensory thing to feel the ground. Because dc takes off their socks too.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:01 pm
My two year old wears her sneakers anytime we go onto the side walk. She can go barefoot in the back yard and maybe the area right outside out front steps but otherwise shoes.

She only has sneakers no slides or crocks etc its not good for their feet and ankles.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
The slides have a rubber in the back so they’re pretty closed up. I tried natives in the past and dc took them off as well. I think it’s more of a sensory thing to feel the ground. Because dc takes off their socks too.

On grass Id be ok with barefoot if there is no dirt or anything. But on pavement I’d try really hard to keep something on those feet. It’s hard but with practice he’ll get used to it. Slides even with a rubber are really not very comfortable. I got them for my kid when he was 6 just for the Pool.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:07 pm
Would you try sock-less sandels? It’s open yet he can’t take them off

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:07 pm
No slides, crocks, natives, floafers, sling backs or dress shoes for two year old. Please buy her comfy sneakers that are actually helpful for walking, not just a pretty container for her feet.

If anything, I save the stylish shoes for indoor fancy events. Outdoors needs sneakers.

NechaMom

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
My two year old takes off socks/slides when playing outside and insists on walking on the pavement. The only way to prevent this is to keep shoes with laces on all the time. I like for them to wear slides outside, keep the shoes for school. I keep wondering if it doesn’t hurt for child to walk that way? Should I insist on putting socks/slides back on?

I wouldn’t let a 2 year old be barefoot outside on pavement. There can be glass or other sharp objects. Insects or other trash you don’t want on his feet. I’d get lace sneakers for outside. I’d rather let them be barefoot indoors if this is what they crave.

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 4:33 pm
Where are they walking on the pavement - in public areas?

It is not dangerous for feet to be barefoot and walking on pavement except that there can be glass or other objects on the sidewalk,

During the summer we were barefoot so much that our feet would toughen up - all kinds of surfaces

Honestly I think the issue is that you are expecting a two year old to play outside in slides. Those are not stable as the foot isn't held in place. That could be the reason why the child is taking them off

Why not get relatively inexpensive sneakers or the equivalent and see if that is more comfortable on the foot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics