Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Frenectomy - unsure if my son should get it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 11:58 am
My child’s dentist recommended a frenectomy. My son is 6 years old and he has a gap in between his top front teeth. They want to do a frenectomy using laser. I am very undecided if I want to do this. For anyone who has any knowledge on this topic do you think it’s necessary if the child has no symptoms or issue besides the gap in between his teeth? I still don’t understand the benefits to it? Have you ever had this done before? Any advice? Thanks

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 12:18 pm
See a orofacial myologist. They will be able to do a thorough assessment and tell you if the tie is affecting oral function.

Usually there are symptoms of tongue tie beyond just teeth, even though gaps between teeth can be more than cosmetic. It can affect things like jaw development down the line, can cause mouth breathing, sleep apnea, tonsil and adenoids issues, can affect posture, digestion, even brain development.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 12:46 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
See a orofacial myologist. They will be able to do a thorough assessment and tell you if the tie is affecting oral function.

Usually there are symptoms of tongue tie beyond just teeth, even though gaps between teeth can be more than cosmetic. It can affect things like jaw development down the line, can cause mouth breathing, sleep apnea, tonsil and adenoids issues, can affect posture, digestion, even brain development.

Yes was going to say this! 💯 please see an orofacial myologist for a thorough assessment of his oral function first. It’s crucial. If you do need a release, the orofacial myologist will do pre-op sessions to prepare your son for the release and work with him after the release to regain proper function. They will also recommend a release provider who knows what they’re doing. I’ve seen too many people get releases done by oral surgeons, ENTs, dentists etc. who aren’t as tie-savvy as they present themselves to be and the kids end up with incomplete releases that need revisions by more knowledgeable providers.

Oral tissue heals VERY quickly-if you’re keeping your mouth in the same maladaptive position it’s always been in and aren’t doing any oral function exercises on top of the aftercare to maintain range of motion and stretches, you’ll end up with scar tissue that makes the frenulum even more restricted than before.

I know someone who ignored all that advice and just went and got it lasered for the same reason as yours. They didn’t see an orofacial myologist first, the oral surgeon didn’t even bother providing any after care stretches /exercises…and their kid still has a gap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics