Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Renovation Process

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 12:53 pm
What's the process of doing renovations? Is it different for different locations?
Do I call multiple contractors for quotes? How detailed should I expect the quote to be?
The contractor gets the permits? When do I select the kitchen and tiles?

cookier

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 12:56 pm
It varies a ton. How extensive are the renovations and do you have plans drawn up yet?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 1:06 pm
cookier wrote:
It varies a ton. How extensive are the renovations and do you have plans drawn up yet?

Plans are drawn up.
Adding bathroom and redoing kitchen.

cookier

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 1:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Plans are drawn up.
Adding bathroom and redoing kitchen.

Then I’d start calling general contractors now. They should be able to give you a reasonably accurate quote, but the final quote will depend on the finishes (tiles, fixtures, etc.) you choose. Sounds like you didn’t do that yet, but you can still reach out to contractors and get on their schedule while you choose. Some full-service GC’s may be able to help you choose finishes if you’re not going to work with an interior designer.

Finishes and the kind of installation techniques they require can change your quote quite a bit, but if you have an idea of what level of finishes you’re going with, most contractors can give you a ballpark. For example: tile can be pretty easy to install if it’s backed panels, but if it’s individual tiles that’s a huge difference in time and labor. Always budget 20-25% more than the original quote, even if you believe it to accurate at the start of the project.

You can also consult with whoever drew up your plans to make sure you’re choosing appliances and fixtures that will work with their specs, or change them if needed. If you fall in love with a gas oven when the specs Donny run a gas line there, that’s a problem. A good GC will catch things that don’t match up, but you can save time and money by checking with the architect/engineer up front and matching your finishes to their specifications.

Your contractor needs to pull the permits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating