Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tongue tie release
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:00 pm
I am not looking to run around to a million therapists and pay a ton of money. She is Baruch Hashem gaining the upper recommended amount of weight. I will keep trying to get her to move her tongue with simple easy exercises that she doesn't scream from. I just wanted to see if it was crazy that he said to just leave it.
I happen to also not love the idea of chiropractors because they aren't as regulated as far as I know and can cause more harm. And I really don't believe in craniosacral therapy though I guess if this was a situation of not thriving I would try anything.

honey36

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
He told me that over a year old it needs to be done under anesthesia and now it's just very simple and doesn't have any hand side effects.
Thank you very much for that tip with the gauze I will go try it out now.

Not true anymore. Plenty of dentists clip tongues without anesthesia these days.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not looking to run around to a million therapists and pay a ton of money. She is Baruch Hashem gaining the upper recommended amount of weight. I will keep trying to get her to move her tongue with simple easy exercises that she doesn't scream from. I just wanted to see if it was crazy that he said to just leave it.
I happen to also not love the idea of chiropractors because they aren't as regulated as far as I know and can cause more harm. And I really don't believe in craniosacral therapy though I guess if this was a situation of not thriving I would try anything.

The stretching should literally take less than 30 seconds each time. I think most of us have done unpleasant things to our babies that made them cry- shots, antibiotics, bath, whatever. It's really best for your baby to do the stretches. If it reattaches, the whole procedure will have been putting baby in pain for nothing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:28 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
The stretching should literally take less than 30 seconds each time. I think most of us have done unpleasant things to our babies that made them cry- shots, antibiotics, bath, whatever. It's really best for your baby to do the stretches. If it reattaches, the whole procedure will have been putting baby in pain for nothing.

I am trying to do it. I just don't want to stay up all night thinking about if I did it correctly because even with the gauze it wasn't so easy to lift her tongue because she kept moving it backwards. I am trying to get her to move it from side to side and out because I did find that on an NHS instruction pamphlet online.
If anyone has good videos or pamphlets showing the exercises on babies I would appreciate links.

honey36

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:47 pm
https://www.drghaheri.com/

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:03 pm
Why did you get your baby snipped??? If he has no issues nursing and your pediatrician said not to do it, honestly it’s irresponsible to get it snipped. It’s a painful and unnecessary procedure. It’s very popular on social media but the research isn’t supporting it only in a very bad case. I have one kid with a tie that has the most articulate speech. It’s really unnecessary many time.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:06 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Why did you get your baby snipped??? If he has no issues nursing and your pediatrician said not to do it, honestly it’s irresponsible to get it snipped. It’s a painful and unnecessary procedure. It’s very popular on social media but the research isn’t supporting it only in a very bad case. I have one kid with a tie that has the most articulate speech. It’s really unnecessary many time.

Many times it effects other things, digestion, orthodontics, sleep issues, breathing issues. I did it for 2 kids and haven't regretted it.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:08 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
Many times it effects other things, digestion, orthodontics, sleep issues, breathing issues. I did it for 2 kids and haven't regretted it.

Is this statement backed in research? It’s a painful procedure that should only be done if absolutely necessary.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:21 pm
She is really gassy and spits up a ton because she swallows a lot of air I thought it would help that. I definitely don't trust everything my pediatrician says, he told me my son was fine when he had severe sleep apnea and had his oxygen go down to 84 percent multiple times a night. He also told my friend not to snip it and to just pump and give her baby bottles. It didn't seem like a very painful procedure she stopped crying after like a minute and was happy and smiley on the way home.
I listened to the expert doctor who everyone in the neighborhood recommended. I try to do the right thing and I just daven that I get to the right shaliach.
I guess I'm trying to say did she need it done, I don't know but I'm trying my best with my limited resources and energy. I appreciate the advice and I will keep trying to do my best Whew

honey36

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:24 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Is this statement backed in research? It’s a painful procedure that should only be done if absolutely necessary.

It's not so black and white. There are different types of tongue ties, but they also manifest differently in different people. One person can have a what some may call a "severe" tongue tie but no symptoms, and others may have a "moderate" tongue tie but many symptoms. There are different measurements and grading systems used...Yes, there is a lot of research to say it can impact all those things and can also cause head/neck/Jaw pain. Some people are better at compensating... basically it's complicated.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:26 pm
15-20 years ago it was not in Vogue to snip and today they have more information about the repercussions of not snipping. It is a fairly simple procedure done in office either with a scissor or laser. It is not very painful, it’s only skin not muscle.
I have had one child snipped with a scissor in early infancy did the exercises went for a follow up 4 weeks later (had Pesach in between, even though recommended come back after 2) and had to snip some more as some reattached, had another done at 10 months old with laser, did the exercises and probably still needs to be adjusted ( this doctor did not require follow up)
As I am a speech therapist who is very knowledgeable in this area I highly recommend stretching post procedure. You can use a q tip to lift the tongue and hold it up for a few seconds, make sure it’s fully stretched. Recommended to stretch for 3 weeks a few times a day.

I think it is good you snipped at this age as it will allow for proper tongue movement which affects the development of the mouth

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

You do know that western civilizations view on medicine is not the be all to end all?
Other countries utilize body work and other modalities of therapy in conjunction with more "traditional" types of therapy to make strides in development. Its ridiculous to view the body as separate entities- the whole body is a network of myofascial connection. The mouth is connected to the pelvic floor as are the ribs and intercostal muscles.
To say chiropractors aren't regulated, yet to put our health and faith in the hands of outdated pediatricians seems quite outlandish to me...

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
She is really gassy and spits up a ton because she swallows a lot of air I thought it would help that. I definitely don't trust everything my pediatrician says, he told me my son was fine when he had severe sleep apnea and had his oxygen go down to 84 percent multiple times a night. He also told my friend not to snip it and to just pump and give her baby bottles. It didn't seem like a very painful procedure she stopped crying after like a minute and was happy and smiley on the way home.
I listened to the expert doctor who everyone in the neighborhood recommended. I try to do the right thing and I just daven that I get to the right shaliach.
I guess I'm trying to say did she need it done, I don't know but I'm trying my best with my limited resources and energy. I appreciate the advice and I will keep trying to do my best Whew

Look up Scott Siegel aerophagic reflux.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 7:52 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
15-20 years ago it was not in Vogue to snip and today they have more information about the repercussions of not snipping. It is a fairly simple procedure done in office either with a scissor or laser. It is not very painful, it’s only skin not muscle.
I have had one child snipped with a scissor in early infancy did the exercises went for a follow up 4 weeks later (had Pesach in between, even though recommended come back after 2) and had to snip some more as some reattached, had another done at 10 months old with laser, did the exercises and probably still needs to be adjusted ( this doctor did not require follow up)
As I am a speech therapist who is very knowledgeable in this area I highly recommend stretching post procedure. You can use a q tip to lift the tongue and hold it up for a few seconds, make sure it’s fully stretched. Recommended to stretch for 3 weeks a few times a day.

I think it is good you snipped at this age as it will allow for proper tongue movement which affects the development of the mouth

Nowadays it’s very in style to snip but it’s not backed with hard research. Do the research, only in very few cases is it really a necessity. It’s promoted all over social media and it’s sad that babies are going through an unnecessary procedure that is painful.
Yes, In some severe cases in might be necessary but nowadays every mother is running to get their kids ties snipped. This isn’t how it’s supposed to be.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:49 pm
amother Seashell wrote:

Your comments on this thread are coming across as extremely bashing of another moms decision. No need to make her feel guilty. What’s done is done. I have kids with tongue ties and some snipped some not. And didn’t have issues with any. It’s whatever I felt was best for the child in terms of prevention of problems in the long Run. Does that mean I’m irresponsible?

Body work and mouth exercises are crucial alongside before and after the release. Op, keep doing what your doing, do exercises, what someone posted above is great. It’s worth it so that it doesn’t reattach and need to get it snipped again later on. Good luck!

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:12 pm
With your baby lying down and her head pointing towards you, gently stick your two index fingers under her tongue with your other fingers on and under her chin to stabilise. Hold for a few seconds and that’s it.
You can also gently rub your finger slowly over her gums, it usually makes their tongue move around to follow your finger.

My baby was BH ok with it, but the dr gave a good suggestion. Don’t always do the stretching in the same place or in connection with something else, like nursing. Change it up, so they don’t build up a negative association to anything.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:14 pm
So when I try to lift the tongue she kind of curls it back so there is nothing to get under. How do I get under her tongue? I'm going to go buy q tips but is there any other tips? Also how do I make sure it goes up and not back like someone said?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:16 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Your comments on this thread are coming across as extremely bashing of another moms decision. No need to make her feel guilty. What’s done is done. I have kids with tongue ties and some snipped some not. And didn’t have issues with any. It’s whatever I felt was best for the child in terms of prevention of problems in the long Run. Does that mean I’m irresponsible?

Body work and mouth exercises are crucial alongside before and after the release. Op, keep doing what your doing, do exercises, what someone posted above is great. It’s worth it so that it doesn’t reattach and need to get it snipped again later on. Good luck!

Good point. I posted for others to become more aware that it’s not so simple. Yes for op it’s already a done deal.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 12:51 am
amother OP wrote:
So when I try to lift the tongue she kind of curls it back so there is nothing to get under. How do I get under her tongue? I'm going to go buy q tips but is there any other tips? Also how do I make sure it goes up and not back like someone said?

Qtips are not strong enough to do it properly. Don't think about her tongue going up or back. You just slide your fingers fully under the tongue, as deep in her mouth as possible.

top mom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 2:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for telling me he doesn't snip everyone. It seems like everyone walking out of his room came out with gauze in their babys mouth LOL

I probably went to the same doctor, (Dr.Y?), and he said that snipping isn't necessary, since she will not have any speech issues because of it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics