Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kid is obsessed with food
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:37 pm
amother Peony wrote:
It's not very likely that he actually has this disorder, but understanding what causes the insatiable appetite and food obsessions in prader willi can help her understand what's happening with her child. Also if you look up prader willi you will see that like most genetic disorders, there is a large spectrum of presentation, including mild, and not everyone will have all the symptoms. And Since most people with food obsessions are NOT tested for genetic prader willi, we don't actually know how many of them potentially carry one of the genes?

Prader-Willi syndrome always comes with lower IQ (low end of normal at best) and mild to moderate cognitive impairment, which I’m sure OP would’ve mentioned if that was the case.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:30 pm
amother Peony wrote:
My experience is my expertise.

Anyways, I don’t understand this resistance to information. First off, if it doesn’t resonate with OP she can pass right by. As can you. But clearly there is something going on with op’s child. Why shouldn’t she be armed with the most information possible? What’s the harm in ruling things out? Like I said, I will not be shocked at all and obviously quite relieved if a test for pws comes back negative, but at least that was ruled out. Besides, most drs are not at all lab happy. They won’t run the test if there isn’t sufficient reason.

It doesn’t need to be ruled out if there is zero indication. That’s why.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:57 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
No, most of us don't. Having quirks and things we can focus on easily and other things we find impossible is not the definition of adhd. People who really have it, have it.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. of course people who have it have it. I'm just saying that plenty of people have their own quirks and challenges without having adhd

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 7:43 am
amother Milk wrote:
Prader-Willi syndrome always comes with lower IQ (low end of normal at best) and mild to moderate cognitive impairment, which I’m sure OP would’ve mentioned if that was the case.

Wow no. He's actually brilliant this son of mine. Gets straight As consistently. Has a phenomenal memory and learning ability. Top of his class. And I don't just say that cuz he's my son. I have other kids who are very average. I highly doubt it's this syndrome.
Lack of dopamine or serotonin more likely or an inability to feel full.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 7:46 am
I tried one of the suggestions above. To drink 2 cups of water before the meal first...then also to chew slower. I told him he needs to hydrate didn't say this will help him eat less. And chewing slower I told him it doesn't look so pleasant to eat so fast etc...he nodded and ate slower. But he still ate 4 portions !

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow no. He's actually brilliant this son of mine. Gets straight As consistently. Has a phenomenal memory and learning ability. Top of his class. And I don't just say that cuz he's my son. I have other kids who are very average. I highly doubt it's this syndrome.
Lack of dopamine or serotonin more likely or an inability to feel full.

Exactly! That’s why I found it ridiculous of the other person to keep posting about Prader-Willi when he clearly does NOT have it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children