Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
More options for Sefardim in e"y or America
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 3:33 am
OP, a number of people suggested Baltimore and I came here to do the same. I live in Baltimore and there are MANY yeshivish sefardim. But you’ve ignored all the Baltimore posts. We have a beautiful sefardic community here! Huge! Why are you ignoring all of the people who are suggesting baltimore? Your post said America, but you are only replying to people who suggested Israel or New York.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:29 am
RBS aleph has at least 2 lovely kehilla type shuls that fit your needs

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:14 am
amother OP wrote:
Never heard of this. Sounds risky...
Do you enjoy living in Israel?

If you do end up or anyone else ends up deciding to make Aliya with student loans I think it would be worth it to look into. I saw it on YouTube but if I had student loans I would research that to see if it's true and legal.
I love living in Israel though there are things that aren't perfect. My husband has been working since we are married and we live in beitar illit so pretty chareidi. We pretty much fit in and I have a son in the neighborhood cheder I hope when he gets older the fact that his father works won't be something that effects him but I don't know yet he is still little. I do live in a more American part so maybe that makes a difference. I also have a smart phone that I use at home and a simple phone that does have SMS that I use when I go out but that's just because that's what works for me and I have friends who use only smart phones.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:18 am
Here is the link of the video about student loans with links to the information. I don't take responsibility for the information but I am just sharing in case anyone wants to research it for themselves.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Hbr.....share

amother
Maize

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:47 am
Detroit has a nice Sephardic Shul
And a great Out of town place to move to with Affordable housing and Yeshivish community
http://www.ohrhatorah.us/

Almost every place with have Sefardic minyanim- Florida, LA, Chicago, Baltimore, Monsey, Cleveland (don’t know all year but my Uncle used to be a Chazzan during the Holidays) If you don’t care about Sefardic schools there is so many options

Hollywood, Fl- also many Sefardic and many Israelis, not yet yeshivish but they just opened a new Sefardic school there that would be a great opportunity (personally know the person starting the school) https://communitym.com/2023/04.....rida/

SG18

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:57 am
My husband is Moroccan, I'm Sephardi through marriage. I did a lot of research into different areas in Israel and can share what I've learned and where we settled down. I've visited and have family in different areas, as well. I would be happy to help, if you'd like to message!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:29 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
OP, a number of people suggested Baltimore and I came here to do the same. I live in Baltimore and there are MANY yeshivish sefardim. But you’ve ignored all the Baltimore posts. We have a beautiful sefardic community here! Huge! Why are you ignoring all of the people who are suggesting baltimore? Your post said America, but you are only replying to people who suggested Israel or New York.

Wow relax... I didnt know I have to reply to every post saying "thank you"
Ill speak to my husband about baltimore.. he has family in NY and NJ area thats why hes more interested in staying local, or making aliyah where he has tons of family...

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:31 am
amother Maize wrote:
Detroit has a nice Sephardic Shul
And a great Out of town place to move to with Affordable housing and Yeshivish community
http://www.ohrhatorah.us/

Almost every place with have Sefardic minyanim- Florida, LA, Chicago, Baltimore, Monsey, Cleveland (don’t know all year but my Uncle used to be a Chazzan during the Holidays) If you don’t care about Sefardic schools there is so many options

Hollywood, Fl- also many Sefardic and many Israelis, not yet yeshivish but they just opened a new Sefardic school there that would be a great opportunity (personally know the person starting the school) https://communitym.com/2023/04.....rida/

Thanks for the info! You would know almost every place will have a sefardi minyan but thats not the case honestly.
Were not makpid to send to sefardi schools.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:31 am
SG18 wrote:
My husband is Moroccan, I'm Sephardi through marriage. I did a lot of research into different areas in Israel and can share what I've learned and where we settled down. I've visited and have family in different areas, as well. I would be happy to help, if you'd like to message!

Thank you so much
Iyh will save ur username to be in touch with

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:32 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
RBS aleph has at least 2 lovely kehilla type shuls that fit your needs

What are the names of the shuls or the rebbeims names?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow relax... I didnt know I have to reply to every post saying "thank you"
Ill speak to my husband about baltimore.. he has family in NY and NJ area thats why hes more interested in staying local, or making aliyah where he has tons of family...

I’m relaxed Smile

I was just wondering if you said “America” but you really only meant NY/NJ, which is clearly what you meant… all’s good! Just a lot of us would have not wasted our time suggesting other cities.

Reality

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yep its alot.
I dont think aliyah would happen for another 2-3 years. Husband wants to build his business up here and then have someone he can assign jobs to to split the commission before we move countries and I need to specialize in a field before moving

do u live in israel?

Yes, I live in Israel.

Reality

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:49 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
The rabbi actively at the head of the the bais medrash and kollel of one of the oldest and most prominent Ashkenaz yeshivas in Flatbush is Moroccan. Flatbush Syrians are not the most welcoming group, not of non-Syrian Sephardim and not of Ashkenazim, but quite a few of the bigger Ashkenaz institutions are very welcoming to Sephardi families.

Those may be welcoming but that doesn't mean there aren't some institutions that do discriminate. It also doesn't mean that even in the welcoming yeshivas there aren't teachers or other staff that look down on sfardim. I am being 100% honest with OP so she doesn't invision utopia.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:20 pm
Shuls in rbs aleph, meam loaz is Rabbi Gennish
Mishkan mordecai is in m3, don't know if they have a rav

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:48 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I’m relaxed Smile

I was just wondering if you said “America” but you really only meant NY/NJ, which is clearly what you meant… all’s good! Just a lot of us would have not wasted our time suggesting other cities.

I dont think its a waste of time for others to have commented. It took 2 mins out of their day. And all the info I got I saved and Im going to discuss with my husband. I also have to look into transferring my license to a different state. I can say I have a preference to stay in NY or closer, but its not a big deal to look into other communities.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:50 pm
Reality wrote:
Those may be welcoming but that doesn't mean there aren't some institutions that do discriminate. It also doesn't mean that even in the welcoming yeshivas there aren't teachers or other staff that look down on sfardim. I am being 100% honest with OP so she doesn't invision utopia.

Im aware of the racism prevalent in many ashkenaz yeshivas. My husband went to israeli yeshivas and was called a "frank" by his menahel. I appreciate you telling me, no system is perfect...

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
I think California also has a nice sefardi community. I don’t know much about it but maybe someone here does.

I think that community is mostly Persian.

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:56 pm
Not sure if you’re on instagram at all- there’s a woman from Lakewood who is an influencer of sorts and is also Moroccan. Her name is Naomi Beneli and she grew up here. Maybe she can tell you about schools.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:58 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Not sure if you’re on instagram at all- there’s a woman from Lakewood who is an influencer of sorts and is also Moroccan. Her name is Naomi Beneli and she grew up here. Maybe she can tell you about schools.

I used to be on instagram TMI
I really liked her page she always posted cool stuff! But I think we would send our kids to different schools. Hashkafically we seem very different

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 2:05 pm
So seems the options in NY for a sefardi minyan are:
Queens
Bayswater
Flatbush

NJ:
Lakewood (what area of Lakewood though?)
Deal (wouldnt work. We're not syrian)

Then theres Florida (hollywood area), Chicago, Baltimore (I thought it was also Persian? I spoke to an old friend from seminary and she told me the shuls are persian there), LA (Persian), and Montreal which is another country and I dont think my license is even recognized there.

I think I might be missing one I have to reread this thread
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating