Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you were redoing your kitchen
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 3:57 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
the rule is NEVER EVER EVER PUT A SINK IN THE ISLAND!!
I know it's tempting, but it will MESS UP the symmetry of your kitchen BADLY
Imagine a tall faucet in the center of the kitchen (where the island is)... it will automatically draw your eye there and will look AWKWARD

Oh dear that's what we're having but it's not in the middle, it's right at the end. Hope I don't regret this. It's too late now!
The worktop will be coming out much more on the opposite side for the bar.
But I don't think it'll look awkward because we're having a nice big light fitting above the island/bar so the eye will be drawn there hopefully. Plus the sinks are opposite each other so symmetrical at least.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:02 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
I'm intrigued and I might just move my couch there to try it.
How far is your living room? How is that furnished? I'm trying to understand if this is a great addition or it's almost a replacement for what I use the living room for.

We have a living room but no den. The living room is great (couch, window seat, 3 armchairs) but everyone likes to hang out in the kitchen, because that's where the action is. During the week, the kitchen is our main living area.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:03 pm
honeymoon wrote:
If space allows for it, do a walk-in pantry. If not, make sure the pantry shelves aren't too deep. Deep shelves are almost impossible to keep organized and don't allow you to see everything in there without shuffling things around.

I have an amazing pull-out pantry. There are double doors that open to a double set of shelves that pull out - shelves on both sides of the pull-out that reveal inner shelves on the inside of the pantry. Super-easy to find whatever I'm looking for.

honeymoon

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:04 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have an amazing pull-out pantry. There are double doors that open to a double set of shelves that pull out - shelves on both sides of the pull-out that reveal inner shelves on the inside of the pantry. Super-easy to find whatever I'm looking for.

Right. That's a good alternative to a walk-in. Would love to replace my pantry shelves with drawers.

In general, I prefer drawers over cabinets.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:31 pm
Coffee station

Tons of shelving and drawers so everything can be put away with nothing left on counters

Place for toaster, garbage can so they are out of view

Space for large fridge and freezer

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:56 pm
I LOVE my milchig sink in the island! Looks very elegant!

I would love some kind of garage on the back of the counter, so I can lift up a door, and there’s my Bosch and food processor etc, so I just slide them forward to use, and don’t need to lift them. I saw this once and adore it!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
the rule is NEVER EVER EVER PUT A SINK IN THE ISLAND!!
I know it's tempting, but it will MESS UP the symmetry of your kitchen BADLY
Imagine a tall faucet in the center of the kitchen (where the island is)... it will automatically draw your eye there and will look AWKWARD

I disagree. It really depends on the design. A good designer will plan it well.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:29 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Are you able to post a picture? I’m having a hard time picturing it, and I’m super curious :-)

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:27 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Are you able to post a picture? I’m having a hard time picturing it, and I’m super curious :-)

It's kind of similar to this link (closest I could find that looks like mine. Sorry - not good with posting pictures!)
https://www.woodworkerexpress......aign=**LP%20-%20Shop%20-%20Kitchen%20Solutions-Pantry%20Pull-Outs%20and%20Shelving&utm_term=4579878248813214&utm_content=10370129%7CRS4WP18-45-KIT%7C45%22%20Pantry%20Swing%20Out%7CKitchen%20Solutions%7CPantry%20Shelving%20Systems%7CRev-A-Shelf%7C%24464.72

mine doesn't have shelves on the actual door. But you open the double doors, and there's a shelf that pulls out (and it has shelves on both sides) and there's also inner shelves. On each side.

The multiple layers of shelves ensures that none of them are deep, and all of them are accessible.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:28 pm
Deep drawers instead of cabinets on the bottom half
Drawers are way easier to keep organized and easier to get to your stuff instead of squatting to see the back of a cabinet on the floor

Drawer for spices

Ice machine

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:30 pm
An alternative to drawers that I have is pull-out shelves in all the lower cabinets.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:32 pm
Chayalle wrote:
An alternative to drawers that I have is pull-out shelves in all the lower cabinets.

Still don’t find them as helpful. A drawers you see everything nothing can fall behind it to the bottom shelf by accident when one is pulled out and the other isn’t.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:32 pm
Chayalle wrote:
It's kind of similar to this link (closest I could find that looks like mine. Sorry - not good with posting pictures!)
https://www.woodworkerexpress......aign=**LP%20-%20Shop%20-%20Kitchen%20Solutions-Pantry%20Pull-Outs%20and%20Shelving&utm_term=4579878248813214&utm_content=10370129%7CRS4WP18-45-KIT%7C45%22%20Pantry%20Swing%20Out%7CKitchen%20Solutions%7CPantry%20Shelving%20Systems%7CRev-A-Shelf%7C%24464.72

mine doesn't have shelves on the actual door. But you open the double doors, and there's a shelf that pulls out (and it has shelves on both sides) and there's also inner shelves. On each side.

The multiple layers of shelves ensures that none of them are deep, and all of them are accessible.

That’s awesome!!!

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:35 pm
amother Snow wrote:
Still don’t find them as helpful. A drawers you see everything nothing can fall behind it to the bottom shelf by accident when one is pulled out and the other isn’t.

I agree, I like drawers better.
My house came with high-quality wood cabinets with the pull-out shelves. I redid the counters and sinks (they were awful) but kept the cabinets.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:44 pm
I'm missing a broom closet in my kitchen. I find it annoying.

I would put in 2 garbage cabinets.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 2:56 am
amother Snow wrote:
Deep drawers instead of cabinets on the bottom half
Drawers are way easier to keep organized and easier to get to your stuff instead of squatting to see the back of a cabinet on the floor

Drawer for spices

Ice machine

I hate my bottom cabinets with a passion.
Spice drawer: would not be a hit in Israel. Spices need to be kept in fridge/freezer because of climate (spices in heat are prone to infestation)
I chose not to install an ice machine in my freezer as they easily break.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen