Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Coronation king Charles III
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

vicki

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:06 pm
Elfrida wrote:

Interesting wording.
The guests are not commanded to attend. The Earl Marshal is commanded to invite the guests.

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:12 pm
sequoia wrote:
Who’s the blue creature?

The one on the upper right is a boar, representing strength.

The nauseous looking dog on the bottom left corner is apparently also a boar. Rolling Eyes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w......html

thinkpositive

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:15 pm
Rabbi Mirvis, the current chief rabbi, was filmed arriving and finding his seat inside Westminster Abbey for the queen's funeral.
Lord Sacks, the former chief rabbi, was inside for either harry and Meghan's wedding, or perhaps it was William and Kate's. He and other clergy were seated in a corner area, and the cameras panned on them once or twice.
Lord Sacks did not enter Westminster Abbey for Diana's funeral, which was on shabbos (summer 1997), but stood outside with Elkan Levy, one of his right hand men from the Board of Deputies. The BBC cameras zoomed in on them, and then commented that Lord Sacks stayed outside due to it being 'the sabbath'.

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:16 pm
vicki wrote:
Interesting wording.
The guests are not commanded to attend. The Earl Marshal is commanded to invite the guests.

I don't know what happens if you turn down the invitation. Maybe it's considered treason.

(Note 1. High treason is still an offence punishable by the death penalty under English law.
Note 2. Megan turned down the invitation!)

chanar

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:23 pm
Wish I was in London to experience the festivities! But I live in the states now. Oh well. I did order English paper goods for shabbos! Won’t be cooking anything different, my American kids and spouse will not appreciate that!

thinkpositive

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:33 pm
This coronation, whilst a big deal, hasn't captured everyone's hearts in the way the queen's jubilee did.
For example, there have been approx 3000 applications for street parties in the uk for this coming weekend. For the queens jubilee, there were over 2 million street and private parties that took place.
Charles hasn't quite got the same gravitas or respect that the queen did. Therefore there is a lack of interest.
I'm thrilled to be able to simply watch the highlights and be spared watching the endless interviews of union jack face painted people sitting in tents for 4 days beforehand along The Mall securing the "best spot". Surprised

s1

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 4:36 pm
I don’t like the sound of coronation chicken but I have my Union Jack bunting hanging outside my house and Union Jack napkins for shabbos! 🇬🇧
The service is going to include a blessing from the representatives of different religions, Rabbi Mirvis will not be speaking into a microphone.
We’ll be watching it motzei shabbos/Sunday

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:56 pm
Elfrida wrote:

Thinking of serving Coronation Quiche on Shabbos afternoon!

I had to google that.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have some recipes for Coronation Chicken Smile

I knew you'd show up!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:59 pm
I heard a shiur, can't remember details, where the woman giving the shiur said that before RH she watches the Queen's coronation (with the sound off because of all the religious overtones) to give her a feel for majesty and malchus.

Ruchi

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 11:20 pm
Apparently one mustn't watch any video footage of goings on in a church no matter if its a coronation ceremony or other service.
If I recall correctly, This was published by the Federation Rav before the Queens funeral

DrMom

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:53 am
sequoia wrote:
Of course he is. He has to be there. It’s a monarchy. They don’t request, they command.

Meh. It's King Charles III, not Henry VIII. Nobody's head is going to get chopped off if he skips out.

Pandabeer

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 12:58 am
zaq wrote:
The proceedings will surely be recorded and available online for your watching pleasure.

As you are no doubt aware, England is a Christian domain . There is little to no incentive for the king to take the interests of a very small minority of sabbath-observant Jews into account when planning the biggest day of his life. It's his coronation, not theirs. Furthermore, the coronation is a Christian ceremony, with the king taking his place not only as titular head of the country but as titular head of the Church of England, in Westminster Abbey--a church. The ceremony is conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is second only to the king in the ranks of the church and is really the top banana, since the king isn't a clergyman, only a figurehead.

With all this rampant churchiness, I'm not sure how appropriate or even permissible it would be for the Chief Rabbi to attend even if the ceremony were on a weekday.

Ok, so he's going to walk. Is he going to go into the church, I hope not?

England actually has their own religion and own pope like figure. they got away from Christianity when the pope didn't allow King Henry to divorce his wife

octopus

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:03 am
They got away from catholicism. But they are still christian. The church of england is protestant.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:03 am
Pandabeer wrote:
England actually has their own religion and own pope like figure. they got away from Christianity when the pope didn't allow King Henry to divorce his wife

King Henry VIII broke away from the Catholic Church, but the Anglican Church is still a form of Christianity.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:08 am
Pandabeer wrote:

England is a Cheistian country. Henry VIII took the country out of the Roman Catholic Church, and the authority of the pope.

The monarch is the Head of the Church of England. His proclamation as the Head of the the church is actually an intrinsic part if the Coronation ceremony. I have never taken an interest in the finer details of what makes them different, but they come under the broader umbrella of Christianity.

Incidentally, Westminster Abbey, where the Coronation will take place, was built as a Catholic Abbey.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, May 03 2023, 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Ruchi

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:08 am
thinkpositive wrote:
Rabbi Mirvis, the current chief rabbi, was filmed arriving and finding his seat inside Westminster Abbey for the queen's funeral.
Lord Sacks, the former chief rabbi, was inside for either harry and Meghan's wedding, or perhaps it was William and Kate's. He and other clergy were seated in a corner area, and the cameras panned on them once or twice.
Lord Sacks did not enter Westminster Abbey for Diana's funeral, which was on shabbos (summer 1997), but stood outside with Elkan Levy, one of his right hand men from the Board of Deputies. The BBC cameras zoomed in on them, and then commented that Lord Sacks stayed outside due to it being 'the sabbath'.

It's still a church on the sabbath.
Mainstream orthodoxy do not agree that its permitted to enter a church even for a coronation.
The King as a religious man himself, surely would respect that a Jews doesn't enter a church if its not religiously permitted

salt

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:09 am
Sorry for the damper, but I wouldn't get too excited about Jewish leaders being invited to the coronation of an English King.
At the coronation on Richard I about 800 years ago, Jewish leaders came to bring gifts to the King and were massacred.

Read the section "Coronation and anti-Jewish violence" in this article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....gland

WhatFor

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:11 am
I'm not even an anti-mayo person, but the idea of mayo with mango chutney is a bit frightening to me. I'm still experimental though so I might actually make it in honor of some of our family's UK ancestry. (I'm still half-gagging at the thought but I'm hoping I'll learn something new.)

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 1:49 am
WhatFor wrote:
I'm not even an anti-mayo person, but the idea of mayo with mango chutney is a bit frightening to me. I'm still experimental though so I might actually make it in honor of some of our family's UK ancestry. (I'm still half-gagging at the thought but I'm hoping I'll learn something new.)

You could try the original recipe with (parev) cream, and chopped apricots. I think that might produce a more delicate flavour.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics