Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Question for EI PTs/ OTs

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:25 pm
My baby has begun crawling with one leg bent in (kind of like still sitting on that side) so more like scooting on his bottom. It's awkward and I dont like it, and I've heard of all kinds of bad things that can happen from a baby not crawling. He is also pulling to stand somewhat and sitting and much more interested in those positions then being on his stomach... How can I fix the way he crawls? I have an appointment for an EI evaluation but it's not for another 2 weeks and I'm nervous he will get stuck in this mode of crawling and be beyond fixing at that point? Should I get him private PT now, but then I feel like he may not qualify for therapy? Any tips to work on his crawling position?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:37 pm
I'm and OT, I do EI as well as older kids. When one of my own kids started crawling like that I used to literally follow her around on the floor and move her second leg for her the way I wanted her to move it. After a while she caught on and started crawling normally. Hope that helps!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:48 pm
Thank you so much for your response!! I am going to try. I feel like he ends up just collapsing when I try to change anything about what he's doing, like maybe his arms aren't strong enough but I will keep it up and hope it helps at least to tide things over until he is evaluated.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:50 pm
The PT I took one of my kids to had us put these special spandex shorts on him and it kept his legs in the right position to crawl.

https://www.hiphelpers.com/

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:58 pm
so cool! this is why I love this site. I obviously will have him evaluated and everything but maybe I can try something like that in the meantime. I think I found it - hiphelpers.com. Looks like it would really help! Thanks for taking the time to post Smile

eta: I see you posted the website lol. Not sure why I didn't see it at first

mha3484

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:29 pm
Sorry DH does the therapy appts and I had to ask him what they were called lol.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:58 pm
If he is unable to support himself in a typical crawling position, then having him evaluated is the right choice! (OT here)

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 2:23 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
If he is unable to support himself in a typical crawling position, then having him evaluated is the right choice! (OT here)

I don't necessarily agree. If this is the only concern, and it's relatively new, I would not rush into an evaluation. Unless you feel like you can't follow through and would like to pay a therapist to do it, which is fine, but given the information provided you don't actually need skilled therapy right now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics