Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
At what age did you buy your house?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

At what age did you buy your house?
At age 20-30  
 63%  [ 235 ]
At age 30-40  
 33%  [ 125 ]
40-50  
 1%  [ 5 ]
50+  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 369

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 5:59 am
25 (husband 22) we chose to live in basement apartments and didn't spend more than $2000 a month for 2 years. We put every dime and dollar in savings and bought our first house almost 2 years ago

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:01 am
24, all our own money. Very oot (about 150k)
We put alot of money in to it already, but also the market since went up even here and a similar house would go for about double now

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:57 am
Those of you claiming you had "zero help " I'm wondering if your parents helped in indirect ways, even if they didn't give money towards the down payment.

For example, did they support you in the beginning if marriage, so you were able to save more? Did they pay your college/grad school tuition (if applicable) so you didnt have to pay back loans and could save more?

I have a sis in law who claims her parents aren't helping her buy a house. But they supported her the first few years of marriage and most of that support money went straight to savings which she is using for the house.

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:58 am
amother Oleander wrote:
25 (husband 22) we chose to live in basement apartments and didn't spend more than $2000 a month for 2 years. We put every dime and dollar in savings and bought our first house almost 2 years ago

2000 including rent or on top of rent?

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:07 am
amother Bronze wrote:
You bought or someone bought for you?
How did you have money at that age?

I bought completely on my own. That was my first year working and I put all my earnings into a small downpayment of just 10% (yes I had to pay PMI). 3 years later we had crazy inflation so I sold my house for double the price and to avoid the income tax I did a 1031x and reinvested into another 3 properties. Here and there ill buy/sell/reinvest. Real estate in my opinion is the safest investment.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:14 am
amother Crystal wrote:
I bought completely on my own. That was my first year working and I put all my earnings into a small downpayment of just 10% (yes I had to pay PMI). 3 years later we had crazy inflation so I sold my house for double the price and to avoid the income tax I did a 1031x and reinvested into another 3 properties. Here and there ill buy/sell/reinvest. Real estate in my opinion is the safest investment.

I want to add that I was not married, I was a 18 yr old single

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:17 am
amother Crystal wrote:

How were you able to put ALL of your earnings? You didnt have to pay for living?

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:24 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
How were you able to put ALL of your earnings? You didnt have to pay for living?

At 18 I was still single living at home so no expenses bh

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:44 am
amother Crystal wrote:
At 18 I was still single living at home so no expenses bh

So you wrote "all on your own" but if you were not paying living expenses, it was with your parents help, for "allowing" you to put all of your earings toward a down payment. Nothing wrong, the ipposite, very very generous. But not all on your own then.

amother
Stone

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:55 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
So you wrote "all on your own" but if you were not paying living expenses, it was with your parents help, for "allowing" you to put all of your earings toward a down payment. Nothing wrong, the ipposite, very very generous. But not all on your own then.

At 18? well within reason that a parent covers living expenses up to 18... most 18 year olds wouldn't have the discipline to save up their earnings that way - its very impressive.

amother
Bluebell

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:56 am
26/2018 - bought a condo for $180k, using DH’s inheritance

30/2022 - SFH for $375k. Needed a small loan because we couldn’t sell the condo. Will be paid back in a year or two when we sell.

OOT (Upper Midwest)

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:00 am
amother Crystal wrote:

Very cool! So when you were 18 and bought the house you started renting it out? Or you moved there?

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:23 am
amother Stone wrote:
At 18? well within reason that a parent covers living expenses up to 18... most 18 year olds wouldn't have the discipline to save up their earnings that way - its very impressive.

Of course its amaxinv that this poster saved all of her earnings. But my point was that she said she did it all on her own when in fact that is not true becausr she did not hwve to pay any living expenses. Thats all.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:24 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Very cool! So when you were 18 and bought the house you started renting it out? Or you moved there?

rented it out. lived at home till I got married

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:36 am
amother Yarrow wrote:

I wrote that I bought on my own because I DID buy on my own. My cost of living was low because I was a 18 yr old single living at home and did not pay rent to my parents as I hope you would do the same for yours. My parents "allowing"?? this is totally insane! I would feel sorry for any single whose parents dont "allow them to live at home!
I did have some expenses which I paid for on my own, vacationing with friends and eating out. I wasnt a big spender otherwise and yes my parents allowed me to eat in their house too (shocker).

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:40 am
Bought in 2001 in my mid 20's, married 5 years at the time, for $130,000 in Baltimore (small 4 bedroom on large lot). Got an FHA loan so down payment was only 3.5%, which we paid out of our own savings and we did no work on the house even though it needed some. We did construction about 10 years later (2 story addition and new kitchen) and BH we could probably sell our house for $700,000-$800,000 now, but then we would have nowhere to live so we are staying put. It isn't perfect, but I love my house and am so happy we bought when the market was crazy low compared to nowadays. Worried how my newly married kids will ever be able to afford buying their own...

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:58 am
Those who were able to buy from savings, how did you get those savings? We've never made enough $ to save

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 9:10 am
After about 2 yrs of marriage. In Baltimore. This was 15+ years ago. I was about 25. It was a stretch but I'm glad we did it.

Genius

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 9:14 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Of course its amaxinv that this poster saved all of her earnings. But my point was that she said she did it all on her own when in fact that is not true becausr she did not hwve to pay any living expenses. Thats all.

I can’t stand this attitude.
“If you didn’t work as hard as me than you didn’t work at all.”
“If you would have had as crappy an upbringing as I had than you would’ve never been where I’m at…”
Nobody does anything on their own.
Everybody has help either from people and of course from the ribbono shel oilem. Even if you worked all by yourself you still needed a boss to pay you or clients who appreciated what you offered.

amother
Stone

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 9:18 am
amother Yarrow wrote:

She did with money she earned - that's doing it on her own, at a time where her cost of living was really low (naturally).
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics