Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
So what kind of education is your child getting?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

keym

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn’t ask anyone to fight my criteria and dissuade me from prioritizing supervision over no supervision. I don’t really get your point.
It was one of the many things I mentioned.

You're asking what's "normal" or not, typical or not in the yeshiva system.

So I'll say based on my years of sending to yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs and based on myself and my siblings attending yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs.
It is normal for occasionally a teacher not to come. Even without advance notice.
Not always is the school able to find a sub.

When a sub cant be found, depends on the age.
But it's typical to utilize a combination of combining classes, the principals and secretaries take turns in the class, and 8th grade monitors may also be used.
Learning usually does not happen much. The principal will tell a story, the secretary will supervise while they daven or do an assignment, and 8th grade monitors will play games like tic tac toe quietly so as not to disturb the rest of the school.

If the teacher doesn't come, and the students are just left in the classroom unsupervised the whole day, that's not typical.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn’t ask anyone to fight my criteria and dissuade me from prioritizing supervision over no supervision. I don’t really get your point.
It was one of the many things I mentioned.

It's comments like this that make people think you're not sincere.
She's trying to help you by clarifying what you meant. Why do you need to attack her?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:38 pm
keym wrote:
You're asking what's "normal" or not, typical or not in the yeshiva system.

So I'll say based on my years of sending to yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs and based on myself and my siblings attending yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs.
It is normal for occasionally a teacher not to come. Even without advance notice.
Not always is the school able to find a sub.

When a sub cant be found, depends on the age.
But it's typical to utilize a combination of combining classes, the principals and secretaries take turns in the class, and 8th grade monitors may also be used.
Learning usually does not happen much. The principal will tell a story, the secretary will supervise while they daven or do an assignment, and 8th grade monitors will play games like tic tac toe quietly so as not to disturb the rest of the school.

If the teacher doesn't come, and the students are just left in the classroom unsupervised the whole day, that's not typical.

Thank you. This is very helpful

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:38 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
It's comments like this that make people think you're not sincere.
She's trying to help you by clarifying what you meant. Why do you need to attack her?

I feel attacked myself.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:42 pm
keym wrote:
And what?
There is just no adult in the classroom the whole day?
How old?

Why is this an attack?
She's simply clarifying.
There's a huge difference between a class left alone for a day and one where the sub comes late.
There's a huge difference between first grade and 12th grade.

I have no idea why you would see this as an attack.

keym

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:45 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Why is this an attack?
She's simply clarifying.
There's a huge difference between a class left alone for a day and one where the sub comes late.
There's a huge difference between first grade and 12th grade.

I have no idea why you would see this as an attack.

I actually meant the difference between a sub teaching the planned material vs the secretary supervising davening and coloring vs absolutely no adult at all.
Which one is it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:49 pm
keym wrote:
I actually meant the difference between a sub teaching the planned material vs the secretary supervising davening and coloring vs absolutely no adult at all.
Which one is it?

I don’t know. I am reporting what my kids say or other parents. Teacher doesn’t come and the school has to find a way to cover up for him/her for a lesson. Ages could be from 6 to 16.
Your question is for a school employee; I don’t really have the details what exactly was known in advance.

BusyMama1

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know. I am reporting what my kids say or other parents. Teacher doesn’t come and the school has to find a way to cover up for him/her for a lesson. Ages could be from 6 to 16.
Your question is for a school employee; I don’t really have the details what exactly was known in advance.

Why does it bother you if the teacher doesn't come for a day and the school has to cover for them?

My kids have subs all the time, I don't know if it was last minute or not. They've had to double up in the past as well. But who cares? Their education isn't being affected by such a thing.

keym

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

The question is not what was known in advance.

I'm answering your questions in good faith. What I hear you asking is if your expectations of the school are reasonable for a yeshiva, especially since you mentioned you're a BT and therefore were not educated in the system.

So I'm saying.
If your children are reporting that the teacher didn't come and 6 year olds were left alone in the classroom the whole day, then I'd say not typical.
If your children are reporting that 5-8 individual days a year a teacher didn't come and the principal told a story and the secretary supervised coloring, but no chumash or math was taught that day, then yes that is pretty standard protocol within a yeshiva over the last 50 years (according to my experience).

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 3:59 pm
keym wrote:
The question is not what was known in advance.

I'm answering your questions in good faith. What I hear you asking is if your expectations of the school are reasonable for a yeshiva, especially since you mentioned you're a BT and therefore were not educated in the system.

So I'm saying.
If your children are reporting that the teacher didn't come and 6 year olds were left alone in the classroom the whole day, then I'd say not typical.
If your children are reporting that 5-8 individual days a year a teacher didn't come and the principal told a story and the secretary supervised coloring, but no chumash or math was taught that day, then yes that is pretty standard protocol within a yeshiva over the last 50 years (according to my experience).

Students are left unsupervised for a period of time before they realize the teacher is not there and go tl report it to someone.
Oftentimes it leads to fighting among students.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:00 pm
BusyMama1 wrote:
Why does it bother you if the teacher doesn't come for a day and the school has to cover for them?

My kids have subs all the time, I don't know if it was last minute or not. They've had to double up in the past as well. But who cares? Their education isn't being affected by such a thing.

There is a difference if its a planned sub or a random person supervising. If you have a lot of the second type, then education absolutely suffers.

keym

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Students are left unsupervised for a period of time before they realize the teacher is not there and go tl report it to someone.
Oftentimes it leads to fighting among students.

How old are students left unsupervised?
What kind of period of time?

For example I remember in 5th grade, we were expected to start davening at the bell even If the teacher wasn't there.
By the time davening was over, the principal, secretary, sub, or teacher was there.

But you're right. If the principal or secretary is not aware that a teacher is absent unless the student informs them, that's not a very well-organized response.

BusyMama1

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
There is a difference if its a planned sub or a random person supervising. If you have a lot of the second type, then education absolutely suffers.

If a random person comes in one day to teach?? Hmm, I guess that's why I sometimes didn't 100 on some tests in my life. aha, thanks for clarifying.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:07 pm
BusyMama1 wrote:
If a random person comes in one day to teach?? Hmm, I guess that's why I sometimes didn't 100 on some tests in my life. aha, thanks for clarifying.

You really do read selectively, don’t you?
Anyway why should I explain why I expect my kids‘ teachers to have work ethic?
I think I explained myself.

BusyMama1

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
You really do read selectively, don’t you?
Anyway why should I explain why I expect my kids‘ teachers to have work ethic?
I think I explained myself.

Yes, I read selectively. That I can agree with you on.

No, I don't think calling in sick one day last minute is bad work ethic. I actually see nothing wrong with it.
If the school isn't notified at all? I would safely assume that the teacher tried reaching the school and couldn't get through or that the principle knew and is on her way and took time. No one doesn't show up at work and not tell anyone unless it's a real emergency.

In all cases, it's totally not affecting my children's chinuch and they all grew up to be totally fine people regardless.

Our system is wonderful.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 4:43 pm
I’m very confused by this anger at teachers who have to take off sick. You’ve never had to take a sick day either for yourself or your kids?! Teachers are humans too, and sometimes we don’t know our kids will wake up sick until they wake up half an hour before school

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:08 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Some of you are sooo paranoid its comical.

I teach in a chassidish school. No english is taught. Im a speech therapist and am constantly harassed by principal not to let my students read english. She told me her goal is to one day not have any chol being spoken in her school. They dont have any english teachers and the kodesh teachers leave at 12.

Im only here because the agency pays somewhat better than other typical schools.

my children are in chasidish schools.
I am very happy with the education.
I never heard of a chasidish girls school who doesn't have English subjects.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:28 pm
amother Natural wrote:
I’m very confused by this anger at teachers who have to take off sick. You’ve never had to take a sick day either for yourself or your kids?! Teachers are humans too, and sometimes we don’t know our kids will wake up sick until they wake up half an hour before school

You won’t be confused when you read everything I wrote

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
You won’t be confused when you read everything I wrote

Honestly I did read the whole thread and your complaints are very vague and you get mad at people who ask you to clarify.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, May 22 2023, 5:35 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I'm very chasidish. Satmar, very familiar with the insular communities & I've never heard of a school not teaching chol.

Dont think this school is the anomaly since I work in 2 separate sites and they're both like this
I do my job very bare minimally unfortunately bc of the restrictions
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics