Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The mystery of the missing checks
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:04 am
WhatFor wrote:
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding anything - is the assumption that someone is stealing physical checks and cashing them?

This is more for the school than for you, but I wonder if there is a way to track who did it by reissuing a check in the same manner as before, but flagging the check numbers with the bank where the others were cashed? So that when the person comes to the bank to cash it, it'll show up as flagged and that the person cashing it is a fraud? I'm frankly confused about this altogether because don't banks have cameras so they could see who cashed it?

OP didn't cash the check, and the check has been cashed... so it was stolen.

the school isn't going to get itself involved in a sting operation.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:09 am
amother OP wrote:
I had asked them in the past and they said no. But I'll ask again.

You can ask for the check to be scanned and emailed to you, and then see if you can deposit using the image.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:36 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
OP didn't cash the check, and the check has been cashed... so it was stolen.

the school isn't going to get itself involved in a sting operation.

Wouldn't the school be able to see where their check was cashed? Esp if they're able to get a copy of the signed check? If there are concerns about checks being stolen before it makes it to the post office/mailbox, then it is the school's concern.

If op is concerned about theft from her mailbox she can put a ring camera on her property that shows her mailbox.

If either op or the school are super invested in this, maybe they can try putting an Apple airtag in a mailing from the school to OP. Worst case, the airtag winds up at OP's house. Otherwise they can track where it's going.

There was someone who put an airtag in their luggage and when it was "lost", she discovered where it went to someone's building, went there, and found empty suitcases outside that person's house in the trash. She contacted the owners of those suitcases (their info was on it). I forget the ending - I think her luggage was very quickly returned when she started tweeting about it, but I'm not sure what happened with the other "lost" luggage.

Eta: story here: https://mashable.com/article/a.....nited

When I searched for that story, I found a different one here: https://7news.com.au/lifestyle.....87401

Last edited by WhatFor on Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can ask for the check to be scanned and emailed to you, and then see if you can deposit using the image.

That's interesting. I've been able to deposit my checks in my account by using the bank app in my phone to take a picture of the check, so I wonder if this would work, or if the app would detect that it's just an image.

CPenzias

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:40 am
WhatFor wrote:
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding anything - is the assumption that someone is stealing physical checks and cashing them?

This is more for the school than for you, but I wonder if there is a way to track who did it by reissuing a check in the same manner as before, but flagging the check numbers with the bank where the others were cashed? So that when the person comes to the bank to cash it, it'll show up as flagged and that the person cashing it is a fraud? I'm frankly confused about this altogether because don't banks have cameras so they could see who cashed it?

That's smart. Like a bait check

CPenzias

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:41 am
amother OP wrote:
I had asked them in the past and they said no. But I'll ask again.

Maybe now they'll change their minds because this is ridiculous. I'd be so angry. I hope you can resolve this fast

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:45 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
A cancelled check is a check that has been deposited (and can't be cashed again).

The front of check would show you if the name of the check was changed.

Ah..my bad. I just asked her if the names on the front of the check were changed and she said no.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:59 am
WhatFor wrote:

It has happened to me several times that my debit card info was stolen, even while I still held the physical card. I would find unauthorized charges on my card. Whenever that happens, I call the bank and they always refund the money promptly and issue a new card.

I remember the first time it happened, I asked the bank manager how it's possible, and she said there are many ways they manage this. For example, they put a strip that can capture the information into the cc slot at gas stations.

So I asked her why they don't put cameras and try to track the purchases to catch the thief? She said that the banks don't bother with small thefts like this. Its too costly to investigate, so it's not worth it. They just reimburse and move on.

So while I was scandalized and felt violated, the bank just took it all in stride.

Another time, one of my personal checks was stolen and cashed for a $1,000. It was not written by me and I have no idea how it came to be stolen. I was so curious, but the bank just reimbursed and didn't care to investigate.

I feel like the same will happen here. The payroll lady didn't seem alarmed or too eager to solve the mystery. She said she filled out an application at the bank. So she did her part and now we have to wait.

I, of course, am just burning with curiosity. I would especially like to know if the thief is stealing them from my mailbox or if it's being stolen enroute.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:01 am
I don't know why a company would not want to do direct deposit.

I worked in another school that also refused to do direct deposit. I assume it's because they are often behind in their payments. A relative of mine who works in the school said they are two paychecks behind, and you only get your check if you ask for it. This way they can control it...

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:07 am
Deleted due to comment

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:23 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't know why a company would not want to do direct deposit.

I worked in another school that also refused to do direct deposit. I assume it's because they are often behind in their payments. A relative of mine who works in the school said they are two paychecks behind, and you only get your check if you ask for it. This way they can control it...

Are you an employee or a 1099? Payroll direct deposits for employees are set up through the HR and the payroll company and are completely different than paying a vendor through ACH or wire transfer. Companies are usually set up to pay their accounts payable through checks, that’s how the accounting software is set up and it is more work to pay though ACH especially since the accounts payable clerk cuttting the check might not even have bank access.
There’s also a fraud risk with with ACH, I’m constantly getting fraudulent emails to send wires and it’s much harder to get your money back that way. Disputing a fraudulently cashed check is much simpler.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:25 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
removed

shock Wow. You're good!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:27 am
OP, I would insist that they reissue your checks and not wait for the bank to reimburse them. As it stands, they got scammed and you are still awaiting payment. The onus is on them, not you. The halacha and labor laws are both on your side as well.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:03 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:

That's not so cool. You're narrowing down her location, profession, etc. Even if she's really nice and chilled, this is doxxing.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:05 am
WhatFor wrote:
That's interesting. I've been able to deposit my checks in my account by using the bank app in my phone to take a picture of the check, so I wonder if this would work, or if the app would detect that it's just an image.

.I do this all the time when I get checks emailed to me.

I used to print it out but I've gotten lazy.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:14 am
What's mind boggling is that the US still uses checks. They're archaic, costly, and risky. Haven't seen a check in a decade where I live and they've been fully discontinued for several years.

mushkale

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:20 am
We had this recently happen to us and the name was changed on the actual check and deposited. We needed to sign some paperwork and the issuer had to and the bank reimbursed them. The problem is when you use the envelopes with windows, they can tell it's a check right away. The next time they mailed a check, they used a regular envelope and covered the check with regular paper so it's not so easy to tell a check is inside. Maybe ask them to do that as well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:27 am
She told me she cant reissue the checks yet.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 11:58 am
amother OP wrote:
She told me she cant reissue the checks yet.

I would insist! It's not your problem, your boss was scammed, not you outright.
And I'd also insist on scrapping checks altogether, it's not on. Tell them you need them to pay via direct deposit in the future.
Must be so hard and frustrating for you!

boysrus

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:42 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I would insist! It's not your problem, your boss was scammed, not you outright.
And I'd also insist on scrapping checks altogether, it's not on. Tell them you need them to pay via direct deposit in the future.
Must be so hard and frustrating for you!

Agreed. I think if they refuse to reissue the checks yet you need to ask your Rav to call them on your behalf. Its totally not your problem that this happened, they are withholding your payment for no reason which is an issur doraysa. this is so wrong. I'm so sorry OP
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics