Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
No Buy/ Low Buy
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:32 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
I try to have a no spend week every other week. But I don't include food or toiletries at all.
It's more the extras that I can avoid, or wait for. I've saved a bit by doing this. I try to think of anything I might want/need before I start the no/very low spend week.
It's not easy for me, I'm a big spender (I tend to spend what I have!) but I'm learning...

For example, if I've been wanting to get my daughter a new dress, I'll wait it out for a spend week. I will avoid all clothing websites, and clothing isles in stores when I'm on my no spend weeks. Boring for me, because I love to look at the clothes, especially for my kids.

This sounds like a less extreme way of doing this. Thanks for sharing!

I'm also a kids clothing junkie Smile

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:43 pm
I watched a ted talk of someone who for a year only bought things to help him live and not drink. And also experiences.
It was inspiring but as a working frum mom very difficult to follow.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:44 pm
Im on a decluttering roll this year. I do more intentional shopping and think where will I put something before I purchase. What I am doing lately, is when I see stuff that sounds cool, I dont buy it right away, like this I think about it and if I really need it, I come back for it.

Today I was in Amazing Savings, came intentionally to buy a salad bowl, that I need that I saw last time that I was there, but didnt buy it then. Actually found a better one, then what I saw last time. Besides for the bowl, Bought two more items. A cherry pitter and mango pit/peeler. ( after pitting fresh cherries with a knife yesterday for my kids, and half goes to waste. )

They had a bunch of cool stuff like acrylic bins, kitchen gadgets, gift items, craft kits, play dough/sand kits, outdoor toys but no, Im loaded with toys and crafts so skipped. Organizational stuff, has to be specific for what I need, and need to know the specs/measurments/and for what so no.....

In past, every trip there would be a wagonful.

Last time that I was there, I also only bought minimal items, what I need like a pitcher, etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:46 pm
dankbar wrote:
Im on a decluttering roll this year. I do more intentional shopping and think where will I put something before I purchase.

I like the idea of thinking where I will put something. Thank you!

effess

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:06 pm
I did not read all responses so sorry if I’m repeating.

I made a plan with my husband to do non perishables and freezer stuff once a month. And the rest of the weeks to only buy milk eggs, produce..

You need so much discipline for this. But it’s a great way to keep on top of what you have and do the run from store to store shopping only once in a while. And keeps us off line.
Those stores include: Costco, target, Amazon etc.

I’ll let you know if we’re successful but the idea is a good one. And only works if you have storage space for tons of cereal toilet paper etc.

Refine

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:09 pm
Cancel amazon prime? That way you need to wait until you have a 35$ order and it gives you time to consider using alternatives from within your house.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:19 pm
effess wrote:
I did not read all responses so sorry if I’m repeating.

I made a plan with my husband to do non perishables and freezer stuff once a month. And the rest of the weeks to only buy milk eggs, produce..

You need so much discipline for this. But it’s a great way to keep on top of what you have and do the run from store to store shopping only once in a while. And keeps us off line.
Those stores include: Costco, target, Amazon etc.

I’ll let you know if we’re successful but the idea is a good one. And only works if you have storage space for tons of cereal toilet paper etc.

Wow this is really inspiring. Please update if it works well for you!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 8:20 pm
Refine wrote:
Cancel amazon prime? That way you need to wait until you have a 35$ order and it gives you time to consider using alternatives from within your house.

I should probably do this regardless if I end up doing a no buy Sad

You get so reliant on the quick shipping...

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 9:05 pm
I’ve been putting things in my cart, leaving the tab open, and waiting until the next day.

Sometimes the item is sold out by then, which I figure is a message telling me that I didn’t need it.

Sometimes I have more things I want to buy today, so yesterday’s saved items seem boring, and I close the tabs or delete them from my cart.

I have lots of lists in Amazon, books, self care, kids stuff, etc, so I can always go back and find things if I realize a week later that I really could benefit from the thing. I think saving something in an Amazon list gives me a little of the dopamine hit that ordering does!

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 10:18 pm
lol. I've also decided to start saving such to amazon lists, that way if I decide later that I'm want it I can always go back and find it Smile

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 10:38 pm
One tip to avoid buying food that you don't need is to make your orders online. We have an echo Dot and all week we add things to the shopping list it had when we notice we're running low and then I added to my online cart and place an order once a week, also going through my shabbat menu and checking if I'm running low on proteins/sides/bread etc. Yes I do forget things and sometimes we have to pick things up on Friday but it creates a mindset of getting what you need and not scanning for what can I buy. Unfortunately sometimes when my husband runs into a store if he's hungry we do end up buying things we don't need...

Goldie613

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:30 pm
I've heard this idea referred to as "shopping your pantry", if you do a search using that phrase (feel free to skip the quotes) you should get a lot of great ideas.

Here's some links to get you started =

https://frugalfamilyhome.com/b.....first

https://goodcheapeats.com/shop-your-kitchen/

https://thehouseandhomestead.c.....-pro/

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 3:34 pm
After having the ability to buy needed items, I'm currently on an almost zero budget and have found that I have so much more than I realize in my house already.
I had a monthly Amazon Costco etc list and then Kosher store.
Now, usually I have a $100 to spend and don't always know when I'll be able to come back with even $100, I just pick up and look at every item and ask if it's a need or want.
Iy'h, we will be bale to afford some wants soon.

It got me thinking to how we live in such a consumerist environment and so much of what we buy is really not necessity.
Even when we did well, I watched what we bought but now I can't compare, I buy bare bare basics now and in some ways I like it, it feels cleansing.
In another month or so, if we hit major supply issues I'll be clear out of everything!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics