Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Feeling stupid paying with cash
Previous  1  2

estreya

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:05 pm
Nahhh. I'm sure it was because the waiter had no clue how to handle a cash payment.

Sign of the times. I've heard, time and time again, from both friends and coworkers that their kids wouldn't even know how to write out a cheque. Almost all forms of payment have now become electronic.

Have to admit, I hardly pay with cash either these days. Nothing wrong with paying in cash however.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:06 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Yeah. I stopped using CC and feel like the only person still paying cash. I do have a debit card as well so that helps and maked situations easier.
If something YOU are the one actually paying with money YOUR have vs others paying CC which is like borrowed money.

I love this perspective thank you.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:06 pm
I also have recently started paying with cash for everything. I feel so good about it, it means I’m actually paying for things! It’s not going on my cc that I can’t pay back!

agreer

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:23 pm
Just another "kol hakavod" post... Stupid waiter

You are doing great! Cash is the best way to pay to avoid credit card debt or overspending.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 4:09 pm
Someone recently gave us some money for us to go out to eat. I was also wondering if it would seem weird that we were counting cash out of an envelope. But they were fine with it. If anything, I think the "keep the change" tip we gave was sweet. It came out more than the waiter would have gotten if we would have added some money on the card to the bill, and sounds so much better Wink

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:06 pm
Bh Hashem has given us plenty of money and most of my purchases are done in cash. From groceries, to services, to high end retail.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:41 pm
My grandparents are really well off. They have shopping bags of cash in their house and have made down payments for houses in cash.

Cash for a restaurant? So cool. Don’t see what the embarrassment is (I’ve seen ppls cards being declined and I felt awful for them. But cash? What’s wrong???)

jfk92

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:48 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Using cash is not a sign of being poor. If anything the opposite .

This
People who pay cash show they can actually pay it. Vs charging it to credit.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Could be. Although that wasn't the vibe I felt. Although maybe it was just my own insecurities making me feel that way.
Insecurities will do that.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 6:50 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
If anything cash is cooler, like you're rich enough to just whip out hundreds of dollars on a whim

Totally!
We love to watch my father pull out his money fold and flip through the bills!
It isn’t the same with zelle!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:08 pm
cash is like money.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:13 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
cash is like money.

LOL LOL Laugh

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:20 pm
At restaurants (we rarely go) we pay only in cash from now on
We are afraid our cc# to be stolen and used
Happened to us a few times
We don’t know for sure if it was restaurant, dental office or other places.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:43 pm
Why are you embarrassed to spend $300 that you actually have at a restaurant? I'm not bashing waiters but why do you care what the waiter thinks about how you pay for your $300 meal? His opinion doesn't matter. You went out. You had a great time and like everyone else is saying, only rich/smart/conscious people pay with cash. You're in really good company!

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 9:18 pm
Cash means that you actually have the money and you're actually paying. Credit means nothing. The customer can be, and often is, tens of thousands of dollars in debt with no hope of paying back.

I learned not to be impressed by anything except cash when my dad was a shul gabbai. Big shots, or rather big-mouths, would pledge great sums and never pay up. Of course only they and the gabbai knew it, so the tzibbur looked up to them. But it was the little guys who pledged small sums who paid up right away.

SG18

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:17 am
I pay in cash all of the time, no big deal! And I do have credit cards, I just don't like depositing cash I get.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:20 am
jfk92 wrote:
This
People who pay cash show they can actually pay it. Vs charging it to credit.

This

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:24 am
OP, it's been reported that Sara Netanyahu doesn't have a c/card. She pays with cheques and the same goes for her DH.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 1:03 pm
Op im confused at what your issue is that youre making a whole matter out of it. I only pay in cash for years for the simple reason of not liking bills and was never ever made to feel stupid for it. Why do you think they were laughing at you? Maybe the guy was new and had no idea how to process payments and was feeling stupid or something of that sort.
You had a nice night then good, go ahead and move on
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics