Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sugar hit and sugar kick UPDATE

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:27 pm
I live in irael and we bought igloos, tiny ices.
All the kids eat them all the time, bring four to the park, etc.

My toddler wants them and asks from the morning until bedtime.
Sometimes I give, because I want DC to not feel deprived or to have a good time or something.

But when DC eats them gets very violent with younger sibling and does not listen to instructions and ignores me when I speak.

I really don't want to have them anymore. But I don't want to be the 'no candy or sugar' type of parent.

I try to calculate when I can deal with it, but it makes me hate 'being nice' and giving.

WWYD

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:35 pm
You need to be a loving responsible parent and not ever buy them again. Can your child handle fruit juice? Then you can you make your own with orange juice or apple juice. Give them other treats like potato chips, popcorn, nuts..

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:37 pm
How familiar are you with Ellyn Satter's DOR method? There's definitely a middle ground between restriction and free access.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:43 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
How familiar are you with Ellyn Satter's DOR method? There's definitely a middle ground between restriction and free access.

Never heard of it, can you summarize, please?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:48 pm
Buy these and fill them with something your kid can have. Puréed fruit, juice, lemonade sweetened with honey or stevia, coconut milk chocolate milk, whatever. https://www.amazon.com/Ozera-P.....=1-16

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 5:50 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Buy these and fill them with something your kid can have. Puréed fruit, juice, lemonade sweetened with honey or stevia, coconut milk chocolate milk, whatever. https://www.amazon.com/Ozera-P.....=1-16

I am looking at them now. Growing up we had this, but 8 attached. like the disposable ice cube bags. It was much less time consuming than filling each one. Does that still exist?

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Never heard of it, can you summarize, please?

Parents decide when to eat (regular meal and snack times, no food outside of them) and what to serve (balanced meals). Children have opportunities to eat limited amounts and occasionally unlimited amounts of different foods--especially ones they seem to currently have an obsession with. Served alongside other foods as part of a meal or snack. There's no pressure placed on the child to make any specific food choices.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:16 pm
Sounds similar to what I am doing, though I sometimes will ask if they want this or that on their bread.

I can't really give popsickles with dinner, and it doesn't take away the hour and a half of not good from the sugar/flavor additive reaction that my toddler has.

I even told the child that I don't like giving them the ices, because they hit/don't listen etc.

I just don't want to never give.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sounds similar to what I am doing, though I sometimes will ask if they want this or that on their bread.

I can't really give popsickles with dinner, and it doesn't take away the hour and a half of not good from the sugar/flavor additive reaction that my toddler has.

I even told the child that I don't like giving them the ices, because they hit/don't listen etc.

I just don't want to never give.

No, popsicles I would probably do as part of a snack, and not every day.

But would not speak about them negatively.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Tue, May 30 2023, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:23 pm
You can make it a shabbos treat.

Do they react similarly to other foods? That may give you a clue what they are reacting to and if there's any way to mitigate the reaction.

Personally I think they're better off with homemade, especially at that age, but if you'll want them to be able to tolerate the commercial stuff at some point in their lives you can do some sleuthing now.

4sure

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:28 pm
DeeBee's Organics Classic SuperFruit Freezie Pops, No Added Sugars, No Artificial Flavors or Colors (Pack of 50) https://a.co/d/5qUjJF4

Got these. They are made out of fruit juice.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:31 pm
I have never seen kids not get hyper/ riled up on sugar. Sugar is for certain times and that's it. I think limits are the safest and best way for kids.

myname1

Post Tue, May 30 2023, 6:43 pm
My kids love igloos, too. I buy the container of 70 or whatever and keep it on a top shelf. A couple times a week I put 2-3 for each kid in the freezer. I tell them that's all we have available that day. Unfrozen ones I don't allow. Otherwise it's never-ending, they want another and another. That won't help your son's behavior though.

Could it be he's really hungry or thirsty and is having these instead and it's not really filling that hunger or thirst need, so he's reacting this way? Maybe tell him he could have one after he drinks a cup of water and see if that helps. It's really just a tiny bit of sugar water. It's nice on a hot day, but doesn't do much.

boysrock

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:12 pm
Any of you have older children? This seems very unrealistic once children are in school

myname1

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 3:23 pm
boysrock wrote:
Any of you have older children? This seems very unrealistic once children are in school

Which part seems unrealistic? I don't know if you were referring to me. My oldest is almost 9. He tries taking unfrozen igloos sometimes, but I tell him I won't buy them anymore if this becomes a fight. What do you and your kids do that makes you think these ideas (whichever you meant) are unrealistic?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 3:38 am
Update!!

I made a rule that after we eat igloos we dance!
So I put on music and we all dance in the house until the sugar kick is over. Then they get tired and we quickly distract with something else, like food or bath time.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 3:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Update!!

So I put on music and we all dance in the house until the sugar kick is over. Then they get tired and we quickly distract with something else, like food or bath time.

This sounds like a fun thing to do!

myname1

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:12 am
amother OP wrote:
Update!!

I'm really glad you found something that works for your family!

SG18

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Update!!

That's such a great idea!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics