Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
OPWDD - eligibility/ASD Diagnosis/Schooling

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:48 am
Hi NYers -

My 3 year old son is autistic. It impairs his every day life and he will be going to a self contained school next year of 12 special ed kids. A couple of questions:

1. We applied for medicaid waiver and received it. We will start the day he ages out of EI. Can someone explain to me everything about OPWDD? I Feel like I can't get any straight answers.

2. Does anyone know if the city is starting to crack down on suing for private jewish special ed schools? What happens if you lose etc.

3. We're sending to a public pre-k next year since the one Jewish 12:1:2 class doesn't accept kids with ASD diagnosis. Anything I should think about if I plan on sending to a private special ed school for kindergarten?

Tia!!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 21 2023, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:41 am
For opwdd there are 2 different programs you can get respite services as well as Sunday programs and after school programs.
Or you can do self direction. Self direction is where you get a large budget and you decide what to do with the money like using some for respite services and community classes.
You need to speak to your coordinator to see which one is better for you
Sending to a private special Ed school is totally different that you will have to sue the board of Ed. Most schools will not make you pay total tuition if you lose. For that you will have to ask the school and the lawyer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)