Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The $175 Gold Plated Burger at a Kosher Eatery
Previous  1  2

Would you go out and order this?
Yes  
 2%  [ 4 ]
No  
 97%  [ 142 ]
Total Votes : 146

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 8:59 am
isrmss91 wrote:
I think it literally is the Aigel HaZahav.
That would be the veal burger. This would be Par HaZahav.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 9:04 am
Mocha Burger Lux: curious about the branding behind the name. Anything with Burger in the name doesn't sound so Lux to me.

ETA: Just read the VIN article. This is the poor cousin to the other, upscale restaurant.

Rabbi Leff tells a great story. I'd love to link to it. He was on a plane to Europe and his seatmate was flying back, after achieving his great dream of winning the challenge a (treif) restaurant offered, eight courses topped by a 16 (64? don't remember) oz. steak or burger. Something like that.

Think there'll be a knockoff recipe somewhere?

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 9:09 am
Honestly, how does a person manage to fit such a towering pile of food (bun, veggies, meat, etc) in their mouth to take a bite? Based on the pictures of the other burgers in the link.

No way would I go out and spend money on something like this. $175 can maybe enough to cover groceries for a week, depending on what’s in season and whether we are having guests.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 9:22 am
This is totally chukas hagoy. There is a popular treif restaurant where famous celebrities go and get a gold leaf covered steak. There have been many Instagram videos showing the person being served the steak. It’s about showing off and being IG worthy so that everyone could see. Because I bet you , if you are going to be painting your intestines gold, you are going to first show off videos and photos so that everyone could see and comment.
#chukas hagoyim #gaivah #gashmius #galus

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 9:38 am
hiitsme wrote:
Well edible gold leaf per kg is about 10 times the price of truffles per kg Wink But you definitely use a lot less of it.

Here's the math, in very gross estimate:
Truffles $2500/kilo is $2.50 per gram. A serving is 5-10 grams, that's $12.50 - $25. 10 grams is considered very generous.

Gold leaf comes in different thicknesses. The median thickness weighs 20 g for 1,000 sheets. The price of gold hovers around $1,990 per ounce or about $71 per gram. A sheet of median-thickness gold leaf would therefore cost about $1.42 based solely on the price of gold, not counting cost of processing, packaging, and seller's markup. Let's say they use 10 sheets of gold leaf to wrap the burger, that's $14.20 plus the premium paid for manufacturing cost and profit. Less than the truffles unless they're stingy with the truffles. Thinner sheets would be less. The thickest gold leaf, weighing 50g per thousand sheets, costs $3.55/sheet, or $35.50 per burger.

All numbers are estimated of course, as prices fluctuate. Nevertheless, I think it's safe to say that the enormous price is more for the novelty and the cachet than for the exotic ingredients.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 9:52 am
I would never ruin a delicious piece of meat with a freaking gold wrap. I enjoy the experience of tasting good food; the better the taste, the better the experience. Do gold flakes enhance the taste? No? Thanks, bye, do not dare ruin my burger.

I don't have instagram or TikTok so I don't order food for the pictures. Plus I suspect I'm allergic to truffles because they make my mouth itch. If this is what tickles your pickle, I don't care, don't judge, and won't stand in your way. Btayavon and I hope you enjoy. But I also don't get how ruining the taste of food with a layer of something that's not food makes someone more of a connoisseur.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 10:12 am
The serving size is obscene. I wonder if they let you have an extra plate so two can share? You think many people take doggie bags?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:27 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
https://vinnews.com/2023/06/21/a-new-kosher-restaurant-in-midtown-will-sell-a-175-gold-plated-burger/
Would you eat it? What do you think about this? Is this okay?

Would I eat it? Sure. If someone else is paying.

What do I think about it? Sounds gimmicky and unlikely to be better than any other burger out there. Also would require being eaten with a fork and knife, given the size, which kind of takes away the pleasure of biting into a burger.

Is this okay? Okay how? Is this a question of morality? Kashrus? Food safety? Not understanding the question.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics