Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Herzog winery, Oxnard California

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 3:27 pm
Anyone been there? Is it worth it to make a trip there?
Do they give a tour of the place?
Also, how’s the restaurant?

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 3:33 pm
I went many years ago and absolutely loved it. It's a bit of a drive from LA, but I think we combined it with a trip to Santa Barbara so it was on the way. The restaurant was out of this world! There is a paid tour of the winery with tastings, though we just walked around and looked at the public displays on our own and were happy with that. Tour info here: https://herzogwine.com/visit/

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 3:35 pm
Thanks so much for this info!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 4:23 pm
Just to clarify, the tour is self guided I don’t think there’s any option for a tour guide and the wine tasting pretty much is as well. The winery has things to read on the wall and it was operating when we were there so I we enjoyed watching the bottling process. For the wine tasting they give you a paper that describes the wines in the tasting and the server comes every few minutes to pour the next one. Leave about an hour for the tour and tasting combined before your dinner reservations.
We stayed in LA and thought it was worth the drive once, we enjoyed it a lot, but it’s not something I would drive for every trip .

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 4:24 pm
It is a beautiful drive up the Pacific Coast Highway

It is not such a long drive from Santa Monica/Venice and most of it is directly along side the Pacific Ocean.

The restaurant is a "destination" restaurant for a "kosher' restaurant

https://tierrasuratherzog.com

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 5:15 pm
the tour isn't anything special. it's not actually a vineyard. if you like wine, the wine tasting is fun. it's a good restaurant. la has plenty of good restaurants so I wouldn't drive just for it but if you like the beach or want a trip to the channel islands or santa barbara I would add it in on the way

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 5:28 pm
It's a good experience but not a must-do, in my opinion. In my mind I was envisioning like a vineyard (completely my fault, I didn't google the specifics lol) but it's the upstairs of a building where you can see the barrels and how they make the wine. It's a self-guided tour so you basically just walk around. The food was delicious but you can get delicious food without leaving LA. The drive did feel long for what was essentially just a nice dinner, but it was a really pleasant drive if you're into that. I know some people spend the day in Malibu first and then go for dinner, which breaks it up a little.

Full disclosure, I was pregnant so didn't have any wine, and we stuffed ourselves at Lenny's for lunch so I didn't enjoy the food as much as I could have Tongue Out

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 5:39 pm
Is tierra sur the restaurant still there? I assume so.
Its a very expensive delicious restaurant.

Google how close the Reagan museum is. I think it's not far away from Herzog Winery. Maybe do Reagan and then go to Herzog for dinner. Reagan is a really nice museum and my kids really enjoyed (I went with 10+ yr olds, but I think even 6 yo s would enjoy)
Being lunch and eat outside. Beautiful view

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 5:41 pm
Thanks everyone- I think I’ll skip going…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics