Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Separate forum for imas who get each other

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:31 pm
Disclaimer: I don’t want this to come across wrong or cliquey because that would defeat the whole purpose. I’m just fantasizing about threads where people wouldn’t get triggered... and that’s only if the group of posters consist of imas who share similar or even just compatible ways of thinking. We often have threads going so well and having such good discussions and 2 or 3 posters who just are not on the same page ruin it for everyone. IRL I choose the friends whom I have conversations with and then there are some people I’d never talk to after trying them once or twice and seeing that we just can’t see eye to eye on anything. Of course I’d be nice and helpful to them if they need me to but I’d never call them just to shmooze because we just don’t click.
We don’t get that advantage here and so many threads go sour just because people have such different opinions, different humor, different conversation skills, trigger points, etc.
I know I’m not being realistic but I’m just wishing I can have a great conversation with a group of women without anyone ruining it.
Hope I didn’t trigger anyone.
Thoughts?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:37 pm
How is that doable? I doubt everyone would see eye to eye 100% of the time. About being triggered it’s often the people calling out the trigger that start it. I’ve seen someone a post an unpopular opinion and instead of those who disagree just scrolling on, many jumped on her. Then she responded upset and the cycle continued.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:38 pm
I know just what we could call it!

“Sixth grade queen bees: A safe haven”

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:39 pm
It’s not doable, I just wish it was. It doesn’t have to be people agreeing 100% of the time but compatible conversationalists if you get what I’m saying. Gets very exhausting when people ruin it for everyone with negativity!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:40 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
I know just what we could call it!

“Sixth grade queen bees: A safe haven”

No rather “mature imamother conversations “ or just imamother and not imakindergartener!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:42 pm
I think maturity is being able to handle that there are a wide range of opinions and not to let the few you don’t agree with you ruin it for you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:45 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I think maturity is being able to handle that there are a wide range of opinions and not to let the few you don’t agree with you ruin it for you.

I don’t mean regular logical disagreeing. That’s what conversations consist of. I’m talking about people who just ruin it completely out of left field because that’s their personality. Either they’re miserable or they just enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing minus any logic. Check out 99% of the threads that were locked and you’ll understand what I mean.

pause

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 11:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t mean regular logical disagreeing. That’s what conversations consist of. I’m talking about people who just ruin it completely out of left field because that’s their personality. Either they’re miserable or they just enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing minus any logic. Check out 99% of the threads that were locked and you’ll understand what I mean.

It used to be if an OP labeled her thread as safe haven or no bashing or whatever, that posters actually respected that. Alas, with the overabundance of anon posting, there's way less accountability for when someone disrespects OP's wishes.

Duh

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 11:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Disclaimer: I don’t want this to come across wrong or cliquey because that would defeat the whole purpose. I’m just fantasizing about threads where people wouldn’t get triggered... and that’s only if the group of posters consist of imas who share similar or even just compatible ways of thinking. We often have threads going so well and having such good discussions and 2 or 3 posters who just are not on the same page ruin it for everyone. IRL I choose the friends whom I have conversations with and then there are some people I’d never talk to after trying them once or twice and seeing that we just can’t see eye to eye on anything. Of course I’d be nice and helpful to them if they need me to but I’d never call them just to shmooze because we just don’t click.
We don’t get that advantage here and so many threads go sour just because people have such different opinions, different humor, different conversation skills, trigger points, etc.
I know I’m not being realistic but I’m just wishing I can have a great conversation with a group of women without anyone ruining it.
Hope I didn’t trigger anyone.
Thoughts?

A good way to start would be if it isn't anon enabled. Imas think twice before bashing if it's under their sn.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 11:17 pm
I agree with you OP

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 11:37 pm
Call it The Echo Chamber

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 1:14 am
Go to the politics thread, totally a echo chamber

BatZion

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 2:13 am
I wish we could outlaw the word "trigger". It's used and abused so badly. The vast majority of the snowflakes being "triggered" here have no idea whatsoever what a real triggering experience is. The ladies who have been through actual traumatic experiences in life (and sadly, there are many on this site) could explain what it TRULY means to be triggered. People have cheapened the whole meaning of the word.

Regarding the OP, I would say that in place of what you suggested, I wish we could have conversations with ranging opinions without women taking it personally, reacting nastily, and shrieking, "that's so triggering for me!" I don't think we need any more echo chambers or cozy little bubbles where everyone around us nods their heads in agreement and inflates our egos. We need to work on our ability to hold conversations with people who strongly disagree with us, to deal with that experience, and to grow from it. It would do us a lot more good than what you suggest.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 2:34 am
Some SoMe platforms (Facebook, for example) apply algorithms which filter the posts they expose to any given user to skew toward content which agrees with each user's own opinions and tastes.

It creates bias bubbles of like-think.

Perhaps those sorts of platforms are better-suited toward those who do not want to read or engage in opinions and experiences which differ from their own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics