Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Electric scooters-how safe are they?
Previous  1  2

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 3:16 am
amother Aqua wrote:
People have terrible accidents and die driving cars too. These anecdotes don't prove e-scooters are more dangerous than anything else.
We need real numbers.

Teens don't drive cars
To drive a car you must be an adult and pass a test
And have insurance

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 9:40 pm
My kid got hit by one and had a concussion. No they're not safe.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 10:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do your children have one? Do you feel they are safe for kids? What age would you let get one?

Rav Don Segal said that they’re a Kli Retzicha, after too many fatalities in Israel because of them R”L

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 2:49 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
People have terrible accidents and die driving cars too. These anecdotes don't prove e-scooters are more dangerous than anything else.
We need real numbers.

Cars have many more safety features than e scooters. And there are many laws in regards to safe car driving. You need to be an adult and pass training and tests to drive.
You can't compare.

My son told me yesterday that his classmate had an ebike accident (bumped into something) broke his collarbone and collapsed his lung.

My son tells me, Mommy I didn't really want to tell you this because then you'll for sure never let us ride e scooters again....(this son doesn't have one but really wants one, he sometimes borrows his brother's).
I asked him do you even want to ride one after seeing what happened to your classmate? He said well I wouldn't go as fast as him, and anyway who bumps into stuff?! Can't Believe It
I told him that nobody plans on bumping into things, that's why it's called an accident!

Kids are kids. They don't care much about risk though.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 4:09 pm
My BIL had all of his teeth smashed and needed implants. Which is not fun if you're under 40... Or over. He could only have liquids for a couple of weeks.

They are very unsafe.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 6:34 pm
Need advice. My 14 year old son wants an ebike. Really really badly. We've always firmly told him NO. We live in Monsey. Today he was crying because during lunch all the guys left on their ebikes (they have about a 1.5 hour lunch break), and he was left alone or with another kid or two.
Any out of the box ideas for me?

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 7:27 pm
I have no idea how dangerous they are compared to regular scooters, bikes, etc. but I see a lot of kids using them around here without helmets and wonder if the parents know and think it's okay. Based on the fact that I see many adults doing the same, I'm guessing I live amongst idiots.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics