Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Divorce lawyer, Brooklyn NY
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:04 am
Hi,

I'm the OP from the other thread where I discovered DH has a great deal of debt. Things have not been great for a long while before I discovered this extra piece.

I am looking for a very competent lawyer in Brooklyn, NY (or nearby) who can advise me on how to protect myself and my kids now, but also in the event of a divorce. I'm not extremely savvy when it comes to finances, and this is a difficult time for me. I would therefore appreciate a lawyer who is a patient and compassionate human being, in addition to knowing his/her craft.

Thanks for your help.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,

I'm the OP from the other thread where I discovered DH has a great deal of debt. Things have not been great for a long while before I discovered this extra piece.

I am looking for a very competent lawyer in Brooklyn, NY (or nearby) who can advise me on how to protect myself and my kids now, but also in the event of a divorce. I'm not extremely savvy when it comes to finances, and this is a difficult time for me. I would therefore appreciate a lawyer who is a patient and compassionate human being, in addition to knowing his/her craft.

Thanks for your help.

Bump.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:34 pm
You need a good family law as they handle divorces.

Any competent family lawyer would know exactly how to proceed in terms of protecting you prior to filing in terms of finances.

I would suggest changing title to state specifically that you are seeking a good divorce lawyer in Brooklyn as the title of your thread is not specific enough.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:

I would suggest changing title to state specifically that you are seeking a good divorce lawyer in Brooklyn as the title of your thread is not specific enough.

This.

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:41 pm
Maybe PM ellacoe, I’m not sure where she’s based, but she may have good recommendations.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 1:13 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
You need a good family law as they handle divorces.

Any competent family lawyer would know exactly how to proceed in terms of protecting you prior to filing in terms of finances.

Thanks for your suggestion. Done.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:51 pm
Still no recommendations Sad

Anyone?

bsy

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:59 pm
Martin friedlander is a matrimonial lawyer

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:15 pm
Avrum Turkel
aturkel@ballonstoll.com

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:20 pm
Cheryl Stein (Brooklyn/Manhattan not sure)
Ayala Jesselson (5 towns)

Both compassionate and excellent attorneys

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:34 pm
Elliot rosner
https://offitkurman.com/attorn.....sner/
He is expensive though

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:56 pm
Eric Schwartz very compassionate and smart. Held my hand the whole way through court. (Well not literally, ya’ know)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:11 pm
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:30 pm
Craig Goldsmith
Michael Lamm
Both highly respected and recommended

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:30 pm
I don't know about protecting credit

But try to make a settlement with spouse about custody, division of assets, support.

It is worth it financially to accept an unfair deal than spend 10x that amount trying to "win" in court.

Only ones who wins are the lawyers.

Court battles destroy the family, harm the children.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:48 pm
I agree with best Bubby and this is the route Eric Schwartz guided me with so the case wouldn’t drag on. He said most lawyers will fight a case out in court and drag it on for 10 years and make money that way, he suggested what isn’t important to fight over and rather just settle and get a GET. A real mentch!

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 5:48 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
Elliot rosner
https://offitkurman.com/attorn.....sner/
He is expensive though

I work in teh field. Elliot is great but since teh firm merged with Offit the billables are a disaster.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 12:56 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I agree with best Bubby and this is the route Eric Schwartz guided me with so the case wouldn’t drag on. He said most lawyers will fight a case out in court and drag it on for 10 years and make money that way, he suggested what isn’t important to fight over and rather just settle and get a GET. A real mentch!

This lawyer sounds like a special person.

I am not up to getting divorced at this point in time. Still have kids at home, and also there is still a level of hope that maybe things can improve. For now though, I have some questions and need some guidance, to know how to navigate things wisely.

I also recognized one of the names that were suggested above. I know the person socially from the community. That maybe a bit nervous: what if I go to consult with someone and he knows DH from shul or from the community?

I know they have to be discreet. It is the nature of the profession, but it still makes me worried as it is very uncomfortable for me to act secretly, and go for a consultation.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 1:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
This lawyer sounds like a special person.

I am not up to getting divorced at this point in time. Still have kids at home, and also there is still a level of hope that maybe things can improve. For now though, I have some questions and need some guidance, to know how to navigate things wisely.

I also recognized one of the names that were suggested above. I know the person socially from the community. That maybe a bit nervous: what if I go to consult with someone and he knows DH from shul or from the community?

I know they have to be discreet. It is the nature of the profession, but it still makes me worried as it is very uncomfortable for me to act secretly, and go for a consultation.

It’s not just discreet. It’s a violation of their ethical and fiduciary duty to disclose anything. I’m an attorney and represent many people in the community. I never initiate contact if I see them. You’ll be fine with a seasoned attorney v

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 2:57 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
It’s not just discreet. It’s a violation of their ethical and fiduciary duty to disclose anything. I’m an attorney and represent many people in the community. I never initiate contact if I see them. You’ll be fine with a seasoned attorney v

I appreciate your sharing this. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics