Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Do you use a barbeque?
Previous  1  2

questionanswer

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 7:15 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
Logistically, how does that work?
If I Am blanching string beans, or any vegetable for that matter-I am washing and cutting the beans inside. Then I am filling a pot with water and then carrying the pot outside. Then I am bringing it to a boil and put the beans in. Now I need to go into the kitchen to set up a bowl of ice water and a strainer on the sink. Now I am carrying the heavy full boiling pot of water back into my kitchen, praying that I don’t spill hot water on myself or anyone else.

Why would I not just cook them in the kitchen?

So the trick is to make the entire menu grill friendly food all the way.

So blanched green beans is not the way.

Grill marinated veggies (or green beans for that matter). Or serve fresh veggies and green beans.

The only thing made inside is French fries in the oven (If were having)

mommy201

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:09 am
DrMom wrote:
The word has several definitions:

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages
bar·be·cue
noun
noun: barbecue; plural noun: barbecues; noun: barbeque; plural noun: barbeques
* a meal or gathering at which meat, fish, or other food is cooked out of doors on a rack over an open fire or on a portable grill.
"in the evening there was a barbecue"

* a portable grill used for the preparation of food at a barbecue, or a brick fireplace containing a grill.
"food was placed to sizzle on the barbecue"

NORTH AMERICAN
*food cooked on a barbecue.
"all the barbecue he could eat"
verb
verb: barbecue; 3rd person present: barbecues; past tense: barbecued; past participle: barbecued; gerund or present participle: barbecuing; verb: barbeque; 3rd person present: barbeques; past tense: barbequed; past participle: barbequed; gerund or present participle: barbequing
cook (meat, fish, or other food) on a barbecue.
"fish barbecued with herbs"

This is funny, because I had this discussion with a few friends when I noticed some ppl referred to the “grill” as a “bbq”. It seemed so off but apparently it’s a proper word for it as well. I definitely thing that Canadians refer to it as a bbq and ppl on the East coast say “grill”.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:12 am
mommy201 wrote:
This is funny, because I had this discussion with a few friends when I noticed some ppl referred to the “grill” as a “bbq”. It seemed so off but apparently it’s a proper word for it as well. I definitely thing that Canadians refer to it as a bbq and ppl on the East coast say “grill”.

I guess that’s why it sounded strange to me. I’m from the East. We grill for for a bbq. We don’t grill on a bbq.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:14 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
Don’t use mine at all.
It does taste delicious, but I find it too difficult to run between the kitchen and the deck with sides cooking on the stove, washing and preparing at the sink, the meat outside and everything needing to be watched. Further, my kids don’t like to be outside without me and I don’t like them in the house with the burners on without me. It is just a few minutes back and forth, DH doesn’t eat outside so it then is brought back in anyway. And then cleaning the grill is the worst! To me, it is way more hassle than it is worth.

Why don’t you make the sides on the grill too? There are lots of options. We love making skewers of different veggies ie eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, vidalia onions, shiitake mushrooms… you can make corn on cob, potatoes, etc.
Grilled fruits are great too.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:41 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
Logistically, how does that work?
If I Am blanching string beans, or any vegetable for that matter-I am washing and cutting the beans inside. Then I am filling a pot with water and then carrying the pot outside. Then I am bringing it to a boil and put the beans in. Now I need to go into the kitchen to set up a bowl of ice water and a strainer on the sink. Now I am carrying the heavy full boiling pot of water back into my kitchen, praying that I don’t spill hot water on myself or anyone else.

Why would I not just cook them in the kitchen?

Why not specifically coordinate sides that are done on the grill? And add some salads that are prepped ahead of time and chilled.
Think grilled corn on the cob, grilled veggie kebabs, with chilled potato salad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics