Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Should AGT have a pity vote?

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 7:01 pm
So this has happened more than once. Someone who’s unfortunately handicapped comes on the show to compete, and people will feel sorry for them, but their performance is far from great and certainly not worthy of competing for the million dollars. But the judges end up giving them a golden buzzer.

Is this right? Should their handicap be taken into consideration even though they’re not particularly talented and should the golden buzzer be given anyway? Or is it just a pity vote? Because clearly if it was a non-handicapped contestant performing the same way, they’d get 4 no’s.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 7:07 pm
At the end of the day, it's about what the audience wants to see, and audiences love it.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 7:09 pm
After BGTs winner this year I lost my passion for these shows...

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 7:10 pm
This is what AGT is all about. It's the whole point even though they won't say it.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 7:11 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
At the end of the day, it's about what the audience wants to see, and audiences love it.

I hear that but I think the audience as well feels like it’s pc to just be nice to the handicapped person despite lacking the talent necessary to win. After all, the show is called America’s Got TALENT.

I cringe because I honestly think if the handicapped person realized they were given the buzzer strictly because of their handicap and not because they have great talent, they’d feel shame and wouldn’t want to be pitied.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 7:59 pm
You know what they say, AGT is America’s Got Troubles.

All you need is a sob story and a song dedicated to it, and you’re off to the live shows.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 8:29 pm
If you are referring to Lavender she truly deserved the golden buzzer! She is an amazing person with amazing talent!

bgr8ful

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 10:43 pm
Sensationalism.
It’s what our country lives on.

By now I think most ppl r sick of it, but at the end of the day sob stories and drama get views so… Confused I like the voice cuz of this, cuz while there r a few sob stories mixed in, most of it is just abt the talent (and the judges r entertaining). Otherwise I don’t think there r too many other talent shows that r still actually abt the talent.

I miss the days when Simon was, well, himself. He either reaaaaally mellowed with age or todays pc culture forced him to become like this. It’s boring.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 10:55 pm
I don't follow AGT but all shows are there for $$$ which comes via ratings. If someone will help their ratings they put them on the show. If not, they won't.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 10:39 am
I don’t know about any of it, but I thought they give rewards for just showing up?! Can't Believe It

SweetAngel

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 10:50 am
I feel like once the vote turns to the people the handicapped person won’t win…. Unless they really are talented!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics