Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Aggressive children - a learned behavior?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 22 2023, 11:28 pm
Why would young preschool children bully others do they learn it, are they seeing aggressive/abuse or anger at home or could that be a personality type?

How do you make sure your child's not a victim

ftm1234

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:16 pm
It can totally be both. Sometimes it's one of the two, and sometimes it's a combination of both.

smss

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:31 pm
Yeah I agree that it can be either or both- I'd call it lack of skills like impulse control rather than a personality type though.

At this age, honestly close supervision is the best prevention.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 8:42 pm
it's around preschool age that it seems to become clear who is learning it from family and who has a neurological impairment/ developmental disability with a side order of aggression. My son is 16 and has struggled BIG TIME with aggression his whole life. He's got autism and adhd and is on a ton of psych meds, in a ton of therapy, has never been in a Jewish school, and got expelled from public school. As a mom of such a child---- please don't blame the parents. It's likely not their fault and though you're not privy to details, they likely have the kid on meds and in therapy. For some kids, yes it is family's fault..... but that seems to be a rare occurrence as the number of disabled children grows and grows.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 8:44 pm
Usually neurological. At least that's what it is with my son with autism ("high functioning"). Years of therapy and modeling did nothing. Only meds help (until they stop working)

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:34 pm
I don’t think preschool children are capable of bullying as they don’t really understand what they are doing. They may get physical if they want a toy, are jealous , tired , want attention and so forth because they don’t know how to express themselves. Also , some physicality and wrestling type of behavior is actually normal and healthy for young boys.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 11:45 pm
Preschoolers are still learning about emotions and reactions and what their bodies can do.

They are beginning to learn empathy.
It's not bullying.

They are testing out the world.

Some can only express physically their emotions since many don't speak so well yet.

Don't label a toddler an "agressor" there is no such thing.

Some just need more time to learn appropriate behavior. Doesn't mean they are seeing this at home or anywhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics