Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Type 2 diabetes, do you fast?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 12:43 am
I never thought to ask my doctor if I should be fasting.
What do you do?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:14 am
You should ask your doctor and your rav and work it out between them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:17 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
You should ask your doctor and your rav and work it out between them.

Yes, I know that. I was just wondering what others did. Thats all.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:18 am
I am prediabetic, was told to fast until I cannot anymore

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 3:59 am
No, but after many years of being very very sick after fasts (like is it time to go to the ER?). At first, my Rabbi was resistant to my not fasting when my doctor approached him about it. Later, I changed doctors and the new doctor told me that it was very unhealthy for me to fast. With my permission, she approached the Rabbi and he consented. For YK, I do shiurim for breakfast and up to about noon. I don't eat anything after the fast begins until breakfast and from lunch until the end of the fast. Obviously, this is a very individual thing and I don't really tell people in the community since it makes me uncomfortable. To his credit, our Rabbi tells the community that he has crackers and gatorade in his office and that anyone who is feeling sick can just go in and help themselves.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 5:40 am
My mother had type 2 and always fasted pretty well, but you do you.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 5:43 am
I have well controlled type 2 and fast til chatzot on 9 av. My DH has not so well controlled type 2 and a host of other medical issues and does not fast.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 5:43 am
My husband cannot because he gets hypoglycemic very quickly.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 5:48 am
I am hypoglycemic no diabetes bh. I am young. I cannot fast as my sugar drops very very low it is dangerous. We are very yeshivesh and we ask a shaila before each fast day and the rav treats it very seriously each time. I even went through the 3 hour sugar fasting test to see just how crazy my numbers get

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 6:19 am
My DH's type 2 is very well controlled and he's able to fast. If he starts to feel unwell he's allowed to break his fast.
His mother's type 2 is much worse and she can't fast.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:21 am
The people I know who are diabetic are not allowed to fast. Ask your dr. first and then your rabbi. If their advice conflicts, make sure the rabbi understands exactly what the medical situation is, and make sure the dr. understands exactly what the religious situation is.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:49 am
Dh is pre-diabetic and didn't even fast last night. I think the rav told him not to also because of his depression.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:50 am
So confused. I would think fasting would be really beneficial for people with insulin resistance.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:54 am
My husband has type 2 and has always fasted easily, but this is very specific to each person.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:55 am
Very confused.
I am diabetic unfortunately not so well controlled.
Fasting is good for me. My numbers finally go lower.
Why wouldn’t it be good for someone uncontrolled? What is happening?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:56 am
I have bh well controlled type 2. On ozempic and metformin and other mental health drugs. I only fast tisha b’av and Yom Kippur but drink water as much as I need tisha b’av and shiurim of water on Yom Kippur but that’s because of the mental health meds.

My doc told me just to skip my metformin on the day of the fast and I fast fine bh this way.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:57 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Very confused.

Seizures from low blood sugar. Have seen it happen - very scary. But some people don't get prolems from low blood sugar at all🤷🏼‍♀️

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 7:59 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Very confused.

Because just the other day my DH blood sugar went down to 45. Very dangerous. Low blood sugar (below 70) is not safe.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 8:01 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
Because just the other day my DH blood sugar went down to 45. Very dangerous. Low blood sugar (below 70) is not safe.
Is he n medication?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 9:13 am
amother Rose wrote:
Dh is pre-diabetic and didn't even fast last night. I think the rav told him not to also because of his depression.

Interesting. I know not related to this thread, but can you explain why he was told not to fast because of depression? My husband has depression. He has never asked. Im sure it never crossed his mind to ask.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note