Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
S/o from canteen thread, re neck fan

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:10 am
amother Tomato wrote:
Also, to all the posters talking about how canteen has now unleveled the playing field- I actually think that happens in many ways even without canteen being an issue. My boys need all tiros, not a cheaper brand. Slides have to be under armor, sweatshirt is also brand name etc etc etc… you can’t just bring any nosh, it’s not like they just bring a bag of pretzels and potato chips, we need jolly ranchers, jerky, cy chocolate etc etc etc… any my son is not any more gashmiyusdik then the next boy. Believe me. But they need electric fly swatters, neck fans, the most powerful flashlight. What I’m trying to say is that everything is over the top, the canteen is just the icing on the top but it’s not like if they got rid of the canteen the issue would be gone. This is part of galus and it needs be dealt with in a bigger way then saying it’s all bc of canteen… just my two cents…

The neck fan thing has made its way to my small/medium OOT community and it is so strange to me. It seems harmless enough I guess, just odd. I bought one for my girls to share, and they seem to be content with that. I tried it and I don't get the appeal at all. Is this happening all over?

I am going to do a poll of my non-Jewish friends and coworkers and see if neck fans are becoming a thing with their kids too.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:12 am
I saw it in Walmart and the dollar store so I’m guessing it’s popular everywhere. With these record breaking heat waves people are desperate to feel cool. This isn’t a fashion trend as much as a comfort trend.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:13 am
My company sells neck fans and we've been selling them to all types. Jewish, non Jewish.. camps, corporate gifts...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:14 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
I saw it in Walmart and the dollar store so I’m guessing it’s popular everywhere. With these record breaking heat waves people are desperate to feel cool. This isn’t a fashion trend as much as much as a comfort trend.

You think? I find that the cool air doesn't outweigh the discomfort of having something resting around my neck. But I guess to each his own.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:18 am
I’m finding this hilarious because I only have little kids and live OOT but I’ve been using a neck fan for a couple years now at work because I get overheated easily and the AC doesn’t work so well here. Didn’t know it was a trend! 😂

polka dots

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:18 am
kids fads and trends come and go. Always did, always will.
Sometimes people say they get if for comfort, others for style. But then when the fad is over they don't wear it anymore for comfort...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:23 am
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against them. I'd much rather be asked for a neck fan than a video game or many other things. Just struck me as random.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:24 am
I kind of laughed at that, we had them when I was kid, and I'm in my mid 30s, so definitely not recent. They also are available at Amazing Savings or the Dollar Store for like 2 bucks, so not sure why that was on the list of "rising standards". Nor is it some crazy thing to have, it's actually kind of useful? Sometimes I feel like this site is obsessed with putting down anything that isn't literally bread and water.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:26 am
My mother works in a public school and there is no a/c there . I guess she used one and then introduced the idea to my kids. My kids got the idea from their grandmother , not from trendy kids in camp. Lol.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:27 am
I'm 40 and had never heard of them in my life until this summer. Maybe they were more used in certain parts of the country. I grew up in New England, where the climate is on the cooler side anyway, although summers do get hot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps