Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
West Hempstead/Hewlett/Valley Stream/Oceanside
Previous  1  2

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 4:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wouldn't send to HALB or HAFTR.
I was looking at Darchei, YKLI, South Shore. (Based on what I read on this site)

I just need to be North location wise.

Do people in West Hempstead send to the schools I'm looking at?
Are there any other options I'm not thinking of?

There are people in WH that send to these schools but most that would send there actually send to queens schools (yeshiva ketana of queens, tiferes Moshe). Same type of schools just in queens, not the 5t.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
It's a nice mix of kids/schools anywhere you daven, but it sounds like BTU might be a good fit for you.
https://www.btuwh.org/

Also YIWH has a mix of observance level. YIWH has a yeshivishe minyan. I recommend looking into BTU and YIWH.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 9:31 am
Does West Hempstead have a presence of families with older / married kids? Or would it be hard to find people our age and have a social life?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 9:47 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Does West Hempstead have a presence of families with older / married kids? Or would it be hard to find people our age and have a social life?

Yes, it does! DH and I are one of the "older" couples. We've been in WH for 20 years, and our kids are all college age or older. There are plenty of us "old timers" here.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:06 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Yes, it does! DH and I are one of the "older" couples. We've been in WH for 20 years, and our kids are all college age or older. There are plenty of us "old timers" here.

That's really good to know. Thanks!
Is there a Trader Joe's / Aldi / ShopRite nearby? How about pharmacies and Dr. Offices / urgent care?
Is there anything walking distance or short ride? Or do you mostly 'live' in your car? (Coming from Brooklyn, we've been 'spoiled' to have many amenities, so it may be an adjustment).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 12:01 pm
amother Glitter wrote:

Is there a Trader Joe's / Aldi / ShopRite nearby? How about pharmacies and Dr. Offices / urgent care?
Is there anything walking distance or short ride? Or do you mostly 'live' in your car? (Coming from Brooklyn, we've been 'spoiled' to have many amenities, so it may be an adjustment).

It's the 'burbs, so you will need a car. And unlike Brooklyn, parking is NEVER an issue.

We have 2 Stop and Shops, a Lidl, Western Beef, and a kosher supermarket--I & D.
There are three Trader Joe's supermarkets 15-20 minutes away. Two Costcos with kosher (dairy) bakeries and kosher meat sections. Two CVSs, Rite Aid, and a smaller (friendly) West Hempstead Pharmacy.

Several urgent care places nearby and many options for doctors in nearby towns. (There's no large medical center building in WH, but many 10-15 minutes away.)

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 2:08 pm
I don't live in West Hempstead, but my in-laws do.

It's a beautiful and warm kehilla. It used to be mostly MO, with many people sending to HANC and Har Torah but also a decent number sending to South Shore.

However, with the rising cost of housing in 5 towns and Queens, a new non-MO group of people moved in to the area. They started moving probably about 8-9 years ago. They started their own shul under R' Lesser. They are more main stream, middle of the road, plain frum families. Working families who in the past learned in Chofetz Chaim, and Ohr Hachaim, or similar-- in beis medresh and "kollel".
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating