Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Section 8, moving, medicaid, ebt, and DOE services
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:04 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
I’ve done this. Don’t know about any fraud I did. Everything was done legally. We got section 8 voucher in another county and moved out for a year.
Yes I needed to reapply for ebt wic and Medicaid . It took a day of sitting in that county’s offices with all my documents etc but we received all the above mentioned programs. I do not recall all details as it was almost ten years ago by now. But I think the amount we got on ebt was same or close to same as in nyc. Not significant enough for me to remember as you see.
Regarding doe I also reapplied for one of my kids who really needed the services and couldn’t stick outa year without it. It was done through the local public school and since dc was in a private school they sent me ot and speech therapists to my home after school hours. I had to sit and be the translator since dc was very young and didn’t understand English very well. But all I can say is we made a great big kiddush Hashem ! The therapists were so impressed of the way a Jewish home looks, is run etc…. Father and mother no screaming, homade supper daily, and many more nuisances that they used to mention to me that they noticed ,in awe….
I’ll encourage you to go for it. It’s only 12 months and it passes faster than you think,and then you can take it to wherever you want.

Thanks for all this info. Was this still in ny state? I'm surprised that medicaid doesn't transfer automatically within the state!

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:06 am
Call a Jewish Council for information about programs like section 8.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:09 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Call a Jewish Council for information about programs like section 8.

I did. They didn't know all the details with transferring. Only knew to advise re local section 8.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:22 am
There are several different councils that help people with section 8.

Try another one.

Or call Simcha Felder or Simcha Eichenstein.

Maybe Their staff can find out for you.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:24 am
Yes it was in ny. Actually my Medicaid had a hard time transferring. I do recall coming into the city to see my kid’s paediatrician. Again not sure why the Medicaid made probs. But again, it’s been a while since so my memory of exact details is not good.
There

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all this info. Was this still in ny state? I'm surprised that medicaid doesn't transfer automatically within the state!

Medicaid is probably the easiest, especially since now it's mostly online through the marketplace and there's no variables that where you live makes a difference. I think it's as simple as changing address on the marketplace website. But keep in mind that not all HMOs service all counties, so that may affect you. (Unlike ebt that the allowances are different in different counties and your housing costs are taken in to consideration when deciding how much you get).

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:55 am
amother OP wrote:
About 2 hours Sad
But dc is obsessed with cars and highways, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

2 hours each way? You can’t do that to your kid….

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:29 pm
Op, I moved from NYC to a different county in NY.

-BOE services:
I called my new local school district and sent over dc IEP. They honored our current services and it was a quick and easy transfer b’H (which may just mean that my SD is super nice and easy to work with).

Regarding keeping a child’s services in current city- I don’t know how it works when it’s in a complete different county, but I know kids from Monroe going to monsey or from monsey to Monroe (Orange/Rockland county) and they get their services covered.
In any case, my daughter is now in a school a town near us, which is under a different SD. We had a meeting with our local SD, and then transferred services to the next town. What happens is, my local SD pays for transportation and all services are provided by the SD where dc attends school.
Eta- we had an IEP meeting with the other SD as well in order to transfer the services. Summer services are provided by my local SD even though dc School is in the other school district.

-Medicaid, SNAP benefits etc
You will probably have to reapply in your local county. We kind of dragged this out, regardless it was during the pandemic, so we just told them we have an address change and continued getting benefits for quite a few months until I finally took care of. UJC was helpful with that. The only thing we took care of right away was the SSI switch.

Lots of hatzlacha!

Eta, we didn’t move for section 8, so regarding the Medicaid and all benefits, it may have have been easier for us to kind of let go on transferring.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:04 pm
I don't know NYC but medicaid, EBT etc are all county programs. Money comes from State and federal but are administered on the county level. So that will have to switch if you move out of county of origin. I work for a medicaid funded agency. We can only see people whose medicaid is through our county- and if they switch counties their EBT etc needs to get moved too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:14 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies! Seems like if we do go ahead with the move, we have a lot of work ahead of us between the doe, medicaid and snap.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:34 pm
Can you tell me which county and how you got approved?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:21 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Can you tell me which county and how you got approved?

I wish I can help you, but I applied quite a few years ago when I heard that they opened applications. My oldest was 3 then. I got a letter now out of the blue that we've been approved.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries