Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Don't believe in the product I sell

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:49 pm
I'm doing customer svc for company & having hard time since I don't go for what they're selling. Its unique item & feel lil dishonest trying to convince customers in something I dislike.

Can anyone relate?

smss

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:07 pm
You're in customer service or sales?

I would not be able to go to work every day and try to sell something I didn't believe in.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:22 pm
I would look for a different job, I don't think I could handle that at all.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:30 pm
Slightly different but I have a master's degree, worked in the field almost ten years. I dont really believe in my line of work for the most part. I mean, it definitely has its place, but it's nowhere near how it's used these days.
So now I don't work anymore although I can really use the money and the other benefits of working, social life, structure, mental health.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:31 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Slightly different but I have a master's degree, worked in the field almost ten years. I dont really believe in my line of work for the most part. I mean, it definitely has its place, but it's nowhere near how it's used these days.
So now I don't work anymore although I can really use the money and the other benefits of working, social life, structure, mental health.
start a thread with details and we can help you figure out a way to use your schooling to make money somehow

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:03 pm
Can you learn more about the product, figure out a good use for it and sell it that way? Do the buyers benefit from the product?
Are you selling snake oil?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 8:14 am
I understand if you're desperate for money, but you should really start looking for another job. Not only is plugging something you don't believe in dishonest, but it can harm your health, both mental and physical.

OTOH--customer service isn't sales. Or is it? Presumably these people already bought the product and want to return it, or it didn't arrive, or it doesn't work, whatever. If your employer is requiring you to be dishonest, as in saying "you're the first person who ever had this problem" or "we'll replace it in two days" and you know they have no intention of replacing it, then see above. If you're being asked to pressure people to buy, see above. OTOH if all you're doing is adjusting charges, tracking down deliveries, making exchanges and refunds, describing --not pushing--the product without making false claims about it, or placing orders--not pushing the customer to order--then all you're doing is giving the customers what they already want.

If you have a script you have to follow and it subtly or unsubtly pressures the customer to buy, see above. When I was a student I had such a job selling lessons that I thought were overpriced. I hated it and there was no way I could have done that for a living. For me it was just a way to make a little money over the summer so it was no big deal for two months. I could not have stuck it out longer and thank G-d my livelihood didn't depend upon it. I felt like such a sleaze.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics