Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What’s the best underrated vacation you have taken?
Previous  1  2

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:40 pm
Staycation. I was very surprised by how well it went over and how much fun it was.

Every night we ate dinner at a fancier restaurant. Took prepackaged store bought lunches along. (Regular cereal & milk breakfast). Kept vacation touring hours (early to rise). Every day we did touristy things that mostly only tourists do in our area. Bought souvenirs.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:46 pm
These were all really nice;
Waterbury
Harrisburg
Poconos
San Diego

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:54 pm
Grand Canyon. Stay for shabbos at Chabad of Flagstaff.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:04 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
These were all really nice;
Waterbury
Harrisburg
Poconos
San Diego

I live in Waterbury and I don’t know of anything you can do here that would make it a fun vacay.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:10 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Where in Florida do you go? Tickets are really that cheap in the winter?

There was a sale on Dan's Deals a few days ago tickets the end of this month for $15!! And the way back for $58!!

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:46 pm
My husband and I really enjoyed Savannah, Georgia. We went in the summer, though, and it was oppressively hot and humid. Was told the winter months are much better. We don’t have children at home anymore, so I can’t speak on what you can do with little kids. There are no kosher restaurants. You can put in an order for kosher catered food.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:54 pm
Best vacation was the Scottish highlands but I live in the UK so it’s a 1-hour flight.

doctorima

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:06 pm
Charleston, SC is a wonderful out-of-the-box winter destination, featuring daily minyan though extremely limited food options. San Diego and Palm Springs are also great choices. Vancouver could also work, though I've never been there in the winter.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:12 pm
I think Texas could be fun in the winter.

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:34 am
doctorima wrote:
Charleston, SC is a wonderful out-of-the-box winter destination, featuring daily minyan though extremely limited food options. San Diego and Palm Springs are also great choices. Vancouver could also work, though I've never been there in the winter.

Is Charleston warm in the winter?

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 3:31 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
I live in Waterbury and I don’t know of anything you can do here that would make it a fun vacay.

We loved it! We stayed in a nearby city’s hotel (think West Hartford), went to Kidcity museum which is so cool and my kids LOVED, maybe went to some playgrounds? The hotel was empty so the kids went swimming, and we drove into Waterbury for the pizza store, shopping and fleishig place. We had a great time!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 7:58 am
Ok, yeah there are definitely things to do in Connecticut and there are suite hotels near Waterbury with pool, but I just was confused when you wrote Waterbury. There is also kosher food in New Haven and near Bradley airport (I think) and Stamford.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 8:31 am
Zahava94 wrote:
If you enjoy nature, I'd say southern Utah, hands down. Fly into Vegas, stock up on food, and do a loop around the "Mighty 5": Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands and Arches. I love going to these parks in the winter because there are much less tourists, you have more freedom to travel where you want, and the red rocks just look better in snow. You probably won't find any minyanim, but tell the men in your family to wake up at sunrise and daven looking out to the high desert... I guarantee they'll have a more transformative davening than just being in a shul.

This seems so our type! Tx

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 8:34 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
My husband and I really enjoyed Savannah, Georgia. We went in the summer, though, and it was oppressively hot and humid. Was told the winter months are much better. We don’t have children at home anymore, so I can’t speak on what you can do with little kids. There are no kosher restaurants. You can put in an order for kosher catered food.

Is there a lot to do there?

doctorima

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 10:05 am
amother Begonia wrote:
Is Charleston warm in the winter?

It's not Florida hot, but it was in the 60s and sunny when we were there, which was just fine for us.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics