Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Looking for healthy, tasty muffins

MotherOf4

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 7:27 pm
Anybody have a recipe for healthy muffins, that taste good? I just made some bran muffins but they are really awful.

trafficgal

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 8:38 pm
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Rec.....ffins

I used agave nector instead of sugar it came out FANTASTIC!!!!

cheerios

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 11:59 pm
btw, can you substitute agave nectar for everything? I tried to make choco chip cookies with agave necatar, and they came out really ... weird. Any tips on using it in baking?

cheerios

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 12:08 am
Here's another recipe (from The haimishe kitchen Healthy Alternatives cookbook):

Blueberry (fat free) Muffins

1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cups oat bran
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup orange juice
3 eggs
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (well drained)

Blend oats for 20 seconds. Add oat bran, baking soda and cinnamon and mix well. Dust blueberries with 3 Tablespoons of the oat mixture. Place remaining ingredients, except blueberries, in separate bowl. combine with dry ingredients. Do not overmix. Fold in blueberries and fill muffincups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Yields: 15 muffins

elf123

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 9:54 am
This is a cookbook I have had for years, just wanted to check that it's still available. It has a lot of really good, healthy recipes and the ones I've tried have all been yummy!
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Cooki.....22221

Toot

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 10:33 pm
cheerios wrote:
btw, can you substitute agave nectar for everything? I tried to make choco chip cookies with agave necatar, and they came out really ... weird. Any tips on using it in baking?

From what I have read, you use 3/4 cup of agave nectar for every 1 cup of sugar called for, because it is sweeter. Also, you need to adjust the liquid to solid ratio, meaning you have to add more solid to make up for the lost sugar, and/or decrease the liquid to make room for the agave. I'm not exactly sure how you would make those adjustments.

I am about to buy my first bottle of agave nectar, I've read some really good stuff about it. If I discover anything else, I'll let you know. Have you tried anything besides cookies? Apparently it's good for sweetening iced drinks because it dissolves in cold water.

MotherOf4

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 3:05 am
What is agave nectar?
cheerios, can you use other fruits in place of the blueberries? Blueberries are not readily available here.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 8:11 am
Here is a phenomenal recipe that my kids LOVE and it's got CHEEEEEEEESE (yay) in it!

Cottage Cheese Muffins (Tsiyona Kantrowitz in Mishpacha)

Topping (I don't bother with the topping. They're great withoug)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Muffins

2 Cups Cottage cheese
1 Cup brown sugar
2/3 cup butter (or substitute oil. comes out great!)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup golden raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 180 C
Combine the sugar with the teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.

Combine the cottage cheese, brown sugar, butter and eggs ina large bowl and beat at medium speed
until creamy. Add the flour, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and baking soda. Mix until just moistened.
Stir in the raisins. Spoon batter iinto 24 paper-lined muffin pan cups. Sprinkle each
with the cinnamon and sugar topping.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve warm or as a snack.
Freezes well.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 8:50 am
Spice & Spirit (purple Lub. cookbook) has a recipe for Spicy Carrot Cake. I make that, but instead of 1 1/4 c. sugar, I put 1/2 c. sugar (comes out to about 2 tsp. sugar per large muffin), and I use whole wheat flour. I also usually make it half carrots and half zucchini - or throw in some sweet potato if I run out of carrot/zucchini or if I have one to get rid of. I also sometimes replace some of the flour with oatmeal. (Not too much - when I quadruple it, it's 8 c. flour, so I'll sub. oatmeal for maybe one cup.) Actually, once in a pinch before Pesach, I subbed some baby cereal for some of the flour! And, believe it or not, with all those weird substitutions, I don't really taste much difference. And I don't usually say things like that!

They're delicious - everyone loves them. Even people who won't eat veges. Or whole wehat. I usually quadruple the recipe and freeze. Actually, I started freezing the batter instead of the muffins, so I can make a dozen fresh whenever I want, and that's worked well too.

wanderer

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 9:57 am
chossid mom, have you ever tried it w/ applesauce instead of the oil?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:19 am
I think I have. Maybe I did half and half. These muffins always come out so good! And I use 100% wh. wheat. But a very, very delicious kind (Rubinfeld). Everything comes out light.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 1:29 pm
Woohoo! LOVE Rubinfeld whole wheat flour! I use the 100% in my muffins, but in most of my baking I used the 90% - subsitute it straight for white flour and in many things you can't even tell!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 2:05 pm
I use the 100% and substitute it for white flour.
I also use the meshaper afiya. Today my challa rolls came out light as air.

cheerios

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:03 pm
Quote:
cheerios, can you use other fruits in place of the blueberries? Blueberries are not readily available here

I've never tried it, but I don't see why not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins